• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feel a bit of a fraud for being here now...

Thanks Nic,

We went round the local big shopping centre, but I didn't find anything that jumped out and said 'buy me'. I'm one of those who feels I have everything I need, can't think of anything I want, and isn't really bothered if I don't get anything.

Still, I'd been thinking for some time about getting a hamster (childish I know, but I had loads of them as a child, and my kids have had them too). I thought it would be nice to have here beside me on the desk. So, hubby took me off to Pets at Home and we came back with a cutsie little syrian hamster. She's so fluffy and inquisitive, and very quick to learn. She already uses her little hamster toilet (used to be a jam jar when I had them as kids), now you even get 'hamster litter' would you believe :eek:.

She was sitting on a little platform in the corner of the cage watching me type last night. I can't wait to train her so I can handle her. She's another good distraction from food and snacking (not that I am a big snacker anyway). I'll probably loose weight and end up with a fat hamster :rotflmao:

Off to the dolls house & miniatures fair today with hubby (and his credit cards ;)

Gerry
:)

lol you made me laugh then with your fat hamster! Poor hamster mind you they run round in their wheel for ages so I don't think you need to worry about that.

Glad you got something though, just think though that this time next year I am confident that you will know what to have for your birthday .... a load of new clothes.

I know you will sort it all out hun.

Hope you had a good day today and may I wish you a very Happy Birthday for tomorrow. I doubt I will get chance to get on here before my appointment tomorrow so I hope you have a really lovely day and I'll catch you soon xxx

Is it your birthday today, Gerry? If yes happy bithday.:party0016: lol I like that smiley.

Yes Lyn it was my birthday today. Thanks for the good wishes.

Unfortunately it wasn't a good day for me. I have been really suffering with heavy periods for years, and have been ill with it all over the weekend and today has been the worst. I felt terrible earlier when sitting at the table doing my craft stuff. Felt like I was going to pass out as I could see flashing lights and felt really faint. Just managed to get to the sofa before passing out on it. Unusually for me I was here alone, so wasn't found until girls came in. They covered me over, assuming I was asleep - which I guess I was by then. Finally woke up after hubby got in. Feel a bit better now but still say roll on the menopause.

I wonder if they would give me a combined hysterectomy and gastric bypass in one go :rolleyes:

I'm off to bed now, still feeling pretty groggy.

Gerry

what an evil women this lady is people who usually are so quick to fault others are usually the ones who have the most faults in their lives

i am excited to see u come so far so soon and look forwar to keep hearing your progress

Thankfully I'm feeling better this morning. Just playing the waiting game for a phone call from the Doctor again. I will be rather peeved if she says I still have to go through the weight management thing again. Still, hopefully she will refer me to Charing Cross straight off. I might phone later if she doesn't call, just to make sure the reception staff have actually passed my letter on to her.

Will post when I hear something.

Gerry

Thankfully I'm feeling better this morning. Just playing the waiting game for a phone call from the Doctor again. I will be rather peeved if she says I still have to go through the weight management thing again. Still, hopefully she will refer me to Charing Cross straight off. I might phone later if she doesn't call, just to make sure the reception staff have actually passed my letter on to her.

Will post when I hear something.

Gerry

Oooh Gerry so sorry to hear you weren't well over the weekend and on your birthday :(

Glad your feeling a little better today and its great to hear from you again.

Keep on at those Dr's its just not fair when on this site it appears nobody else has had the same difficulty as you are having in getting your Dr to refer you, I can only imagine how you must feel its bad enough waiting when you have an appointment.

Thinking of you Gerry and if I can help with anything please shout xx

Sorry I've not been around much - been pretty poorly for the past few days :(.

On Friday, I left a message on the answer phone of the Weight Management Coordinator. Well, yesterday afternoon she phoned me. She was ok to chat to, and she did say that if a patient had other health problems, then they usually advised against them doing the weight management course, as the instructors were gym instructors and not medically qualified. Good thinks me. I told her my conditions and then it sounded like she was changing tack and saying that I should go there. Then she said she would call my doctor and explain what it was all about. My first thought was "oh God, she is going to say that I am just someone who doesn't want to help myself and am therefore a prime candidate for it". I openly said to her that the Consultant at Charing Cross had told me to ask the GP to refer me direct to him, and that I would appreciate her not saying anything to my GP that might encourage her to force me onto this weight management course. I told her that if the GP refused to refer me direct, then that would be it, as I would not do this course as it was not right for me, and I had others backing to say so.

I've still not heard from the GP. Phoned today and the letter is on the system but the GP is not in until tomorrow, so she will probably read it then. Hopefully she will just do the referal, but until I hear from her I will be biting my nails over wether this other woman from weight management gets to her first.

Going back for a lay down - still feeling pretty rotten. Will let you know when I hear.

Gerry

Hi Gerry

Sorry to hear you feeling rotten!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will keep my fingers crossed for you, makes me so sick, that they arent helping you......

You take it easy, sendign you hugs and some calming and positive thoughts

Oh Gerry, I'm sending you bigs hugs too hun, your going through a really rough time and all of this isn't helping. I'm keeping everything crossed for you. xxx

HI gerry

I did see that you were concered about beinf diabectic. I just want to say that being diabectic counts for you . And if you have a bypass and your type2 after the bypass you have a 80-90% chance of being completely cured.

I was type 2 and i was on slow and fast acting insulin.
After the operation i went down to once aday long acting.
And 3 weeks after the operation i dont take any insuling.

Im very very sure you will get your gastric bypass but it will take alittle time . But trust me its worth the messing about.

If your like me , i had problems walking due to a failed operation. and felt sick and slugish everyday. I didnt reallt feel like doing anything. I even stayed in as much as i could not going outside for weeks on end, I didnt want to meet anyone as i feel they may snigger about me and really to round it off i just couldnt be bothered with anything.

Now after the operation i just didnt relise on how quickly things would change.
I can still eat just less . none of this stuff people say about eating a cracker and your full and that you just cant do the same things anymore.
If i want eat out i can . and i can do anything i want and feel good about it. And im still early days.
I really look forward to you gettting some good news.

Best of luck

Many thanks for the encouraging posts peeps. It really helps to know that there are people out there who understand.

At the moment, all I want to do is go to sleep. I feel sick and tired which I know is my very low iron levels. I'm still taking the one a day multivitamins and iron, although just been through my time of the month so iron levels plummeted again :(.

I'm a bit like you Frosty, in that I rarely go out, other than to take the kids to school and back. I don't see anyone from one day to the next. I don't have the energy to do anything, and I am so hoping that I can get this bypass, get the weight off and get some more energy into my system. I literally feel like I could go to sleep and never wake up right now. No reason, other than I'm just so tired.

Hopefully the GP will see my letter today and do my referral. Fingers crossed.

If she says over the phone that she still wants me to go to weight management, then I know I will cry my eyes out. It seems so pointless going over everything I have already tried, plus the hurdle of actually getting there and joining in with 'groups' which I hate and can't handle.

It's so silly, because ordinarily, I don't eat much during the day, but the constant up and down of depression and elation at the moment is making me pick at food, and probably put on more weight :(

Ho hum!

Gerry
:eek:

Oh Gerry

I do feel for you so much!!! My thoughts are with you........ try and think positive, keeping my fingers double crossed for you
xxx

Hi Gerry

I was talking to my Mum and mentioned about the problems you were having and she said your GP has no right to withhold it and she came out with a good idea. If you get no joy get in contact with your local MP and say that the government is making obesity a priority and you are trying your best to get this appointment and your GP is standing in your way etc etc

If you need any help just shout xxx

Thanks so much Mandy, Nic and Frosty.

Nic, usually my GP is great, I don't have any problems with her. Perhaps I am worrying unnecessarily - I don't know. I think I am just a bit wound up because as many of us larger people know, when it comes to an overweight person, Doctors automatically assume we eat eat eat, don't want to help ourselves, and use every trick in the book to get out of doing things. I think that was the impression the woman from the weight management had by the time I had finished chatting to her. She was ok, but you kind of pick up on that underlying feeling that they don't believe you and labell you like 'all the others' (that are probably also wrongly labelled).

I'm hoping that the GP will see the mail I included from the consultant at Charing Cross and will just refer me direct to him. I've not had a phone call today, so will be phoning the surgery again tomorrow to see what's happening about it. I put the letter in last weekend, so I would have expected at least a call back by now. I know the GP has been off, but she was in today and no call back, so will call in tomorrow and give them a nudge. If it does go pearshaped, then I will indeed contact my MP and see if they can help.

Watch this space.

Gerry

your situation makes me so mad.... your right that docs just think its a matter of willpower and eating less but my surgeon told me once u get to a certain weight it doesnt take that many calories to maintain it and because ur body is an effective fat making machine its really hard to lose it cos ur body fights tooth and nail to keep that weight on..... you fight Gerry.... ill be sending positive thoughts ur way and keep us informed of ur progress....
Donna xx

Many thanks for your support Donna - it means a lot :)

I've phoned the surgery again today, only to be told that my GP is now not in again until Tuesday - and then it's her half day. From chatting to the various receptionists over the past week, I gather she has only been in one and a half days this week anyway (alright for some eh?).

Anyway, she did offer to put the letter through to the Dr. I am registered with, and whilst he is ok, I have only ever seen him once, and I find him a bit less interested in NHS patients (it's a mainly private practice). He comes out with a smile to call in private patients by their first name. NHS patients are called by their surname and a blank expression (weird). Saying that though, on the whole they are miles better than my previous GP was. She lost patients by the hundred for being so useless. Even the PCT said to me "oh, another one of her patients wanting to leave" when I was desperately trying to find another doctor.

Getting back to the point...The GP I have seen about this referral is now not in until Tuesday (and again half day :rolleyes:), so she is going to put a reminder on her list about contacting me.

Oh well - off to twiddle my thumbs till Tuesday I guess :sigh:

Gerry

Back