• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

For post-oppers please - a Q

Yes the bigger the bypass the more malabsorption... mines only a little one at 70cm!

Karen I hope you take this in the way its intended as I have no wish to offend you, but you need to take a second to consider why it is you made the decision to have this surgery

You are going through the phase that we all reach where we question our decision, and whether we made the right choice. I'm not talking about the buyers remorse you get when you're very new out, I mean that there comes a point in this process when you realise that this IS FOREVER and the enormity of that can overwhelm you for a while, it did me.

I struggled with this for a while, months in fact where if they could have put me back to how I was, I would have done it gladly. The thought of having to watch what I eat for the rest of my life just crapped me out

You asked us if we felt you were eating too much, and maybe didn't get the replies that you wanted to hear, but the truth while it might hurt is always better than kittens and rainbows.

Is two slices of pizza too much? well for me half a slice would be too much, not because I couldn't fit it in, just because at your stage it is a very bad choice, at my stage it would take me back to the dark side

Your surgeon fixed your stomach, only you can fix your head and by that I mean your attitude and relationship with food. I don't believe that you went through the rigors of surgery and the last two months to just give up at this early stage. You just need to ask yourself why you did this and what you wanted from it.

Those who think that post op life means that they never have to worry about what they eat again, or think that the weight is gone forever :eek: are deluded. Post op we are on a diet for ever, the surgery just takes the grind out of it.

A great deal of money is invested in giving us the chance of a better healthier life at a normal weight. We have to repay that debt by doing our bit to give it the best shot we can, I believe that we owe it to the NHS, the others on the waiting list who haven't had the chance yet, our families who support us, but mostly ourselves. Karen you have already put a huge amount of effort into this, if you just give yourself the time to get over this then I know you can do this

What worked for me was when someone advised me that before I put some dodgy food in my mouth, I should ask myself if I would be comfortable calling my surgeon to tell him. If the answer is no, then it shouldn't go in. It helped me and still does. I'm far from being one of the "Perfect ones" and I will eat a bag of crisp maybe every two weeks, but some things I have no control with so I avoid them

So again I have no desire to offend Karen and I think maybe you should talk to your GP about this they might be able to help you through. Good luck with it x

Thank you for your input and advice Karlos - as a success story yourself it is of course invaluable.

But just to correct one point. I paid privately for my surgery. I owe nothing to the NHS. But I do feel I owe it to my family and myself to make this work or I have wasted money I could have used treating my family.

Thank you for your input and advice Karlos - as a success story yourself it is of course invaluable.

But just to correct one point. I paid privately for my surgery. I owe nothing to the NHS. But I do feel I owe it to my family and myself to make this work or I have wasted money I could have used treating my family.

I was using the royal "we" Karen not you in particular. I take little credit for my results to date, that goes to the surgeon who did the hard work while I was asleep. If I can maintain my weight for life then yep I'll take the credit for that

You haven't wasted your money, you've spent it the best way you could to give your family the wife and mother they want. I am sure you can do this

Good luck with it Karen x

I dont think its a big issue chick...2 slices of pizza one day isnt such a bad thing...yes volume wise it might be a little more than expected..but if you have chewed it to a pulp, then it is going to be teeny tiny in your pouch and will slip through quicker?
Aint the end of the world hun...we not on a diet, this is for life...Id go mad if I couldnt have bad things and Im not prefect, but I got to goal and I had regular 'bad items' just not all day everyday like pre-op ;)

Hi Karen
I hope you dont mind me saying that maybe you a panicing too soon??

I think your weight loss in really good, better than mine!

My hospital thinks that my weight loss it what they expect. And say that my weight will continue to drop slowly for another 6 months or so, by which time they think I should be about 11 stone - 7lb from my goal weight.

I worry slightly about the 5dpt because you will easily regain any weightloss after it, unless you are going to stay on it for ever! Does that make sense?

I guess for me it is just too much like my pre-op diets! I dont want to go down that yo-yo diet route again.

I do wish you the very best of luck with it, and really hope that you dont take this as critisism as it is not meant as that, only as a different opinion!

Good luck!

Sorry to ask... but the malabsorption issue against the length of the bypass... does anyone have any suggested reading around this please... alongside the pouch test... I am very eager to learn more about both points... thanks in advance... Bev xxx

Just to add to Bev's point - I have a part of the fridge, freezer and a cupboard which is full of 'my' food. Karen, t's not about being perfect: I fell off the ago and ate crisps, toffee popcorn, birthday cake and chocolate last week and the week before.

But I'm desperate to use my bypass to my absolute best, and to embrace my new life and become the slim woman I've longed to be all of my adult life. So I'm trying to make good preparations to ensure there is good healthy and TEMPTING food in the house, so that I can avoid giving in to the temptation of the unhealthy food choices which would happier my weight loss or even lead to weight gain.

My surgeons words to me were the difference between a band and a bypass is that with a bypass no ffod is off limits. Eventually I will be able to eat everything just in moderation and smaller amounts.

Everybody is different and we all know are trigger foods, if you (whoever it may be) know your limits then moderation is the key. If however youknow that one will lead to more then avoid that food. Everybody is different and their tolerances and fullness levels are different. Just as some days our own tolerances change on a daily basis one day we can eat loads, the next day nothing, one day you can eat toast but not the next day x

Well here's my 2 penn'th for whats it's worth.

I know you have had an op but my idea is to get back to normal life as soon as possible. You ran out of food and had 2 slices of Pizza, there is nothing wrong with that. You sound like you would make healthier choices if the opportunity arrives and even if you have a little treat it is not the end of the world.

I could have eaten 2 pieces of pizza and I think on the odd occasion I have eaten three, but then felt stuffed.

You need to stop panicking, we are all different don't compare yourself with others on here. Why did you go private, because you weren't heavy enough to get it on the NHS. Heavier people lose weight quicker.

You are doing everything in your power to make this work and should be commended. I hate to see you worrying over your weight because I am sure you will continue to lose.

xxx

Hi honey, great to see you posting :)
I'm not sure if Im.odd but I had this op to lose weight, get fitter and enable me to eat in moderation, like normal weight people do. I'm already doing ALL of those things!

Last week we had pizza, I get those thin Asda stone baked frozen ones, 3 between 5 of us. I cut then into lots of small slices so the younger two can pick it up, so the crust edge is about 1-1.5 inches and I had 3 slices. I chewed lots, it went down fine and I LOVED it..but I've really changed my attitudes and mine is that a small amount of something like that will NOT harm me.90% of the time I eat the perfect postop diet, drink plenty, exercise daily and feel great. But I felt no guilt about that meal, In fact it hadn't crossed my mind til I read this!

Xxx

Last edited:
Back