• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Frustrated

What surgery do you feel you want ? I am consented for the sleeve as I outlined that was my preference - but we all have different ideas and I find that fascinating also - is weird how we all take the same facts and information and map it very differently into our own worlds

Lets hope tomorrow we can not think about it for 1 minute.

I am obsessed!!

I want the sleeve but then have just received this By-band study letter so I am now confused. I hope this does not hold things up if I decline to take part.
I am very obsessed!
Jackie
x

Just walloped by-band study in to the googley god and it tells me ...... (don't get too excited)

The By-Band study: gastric bypass or adjustable gastric band surgery to treat morbid obesity: study protocol for a multi-centre randomised controlled trial with an internal pilot phase

So that's nice and clear!!!!!!!!!

Guess a better study from your sleeve wish view would be the 'bypass band for sleeve' study!

I feel I cannot say 'no' whilst in the system just incase I prejudice my chances - and that's just not me - like I say - it meddles with your mind !!!

Just walloped by-band study in to the googley god and it tells me ...... (don't get too excited)

The By-Band study: gastric bypass or adjustable gastric band surgery to treat morbid obesity: study protocol for a multi-centre randomised controlled trial with an internal pilot phase

So that's nice and clear!!!!!!!!!

Guess a better study from your sleeve wish view would be the 'bypass band for sleeve' study!

I feel I cannot say 'no' whilst in the system just incase I prejudice my chances - and that's just not me - like I say - it meddles with your mind !!!

Why did I have to get this letter? It just throws a further spanner in the works!

It's something I can't answer - I can 'feel' your frustration though.

I've just read a bit more via google god and it does seem it's a one or the other surgery option? Is that your understanding also?

More blurb :

Design

This open parallel-group randomised controlled trial will compare the effectiveness, cost-effectiveness and acceptability of gastric band (Band) versus gastric bypass (Bypass) in adults with severe and complex obesity. It has an internal pilot phase (in two centres) with integrated qualitative research to establish effective and optimal methods for recruitment. Adults with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 kg/m2 or more, or a BMI of 35 kg/m2 or more and other co-morbidities will be recruited. At the end of the internal pilot the study will expand into more centres if the pre-set progression criteria of numbers and rates of eligible patients screened and randomised are met and if the expected rates of retention and adherence to treatment allocation are achieved. The trial will test the joint hypotheses that Bypass is non-inferior to Band with respect to more than 50% excess weight loss and that Bypass is superior to Band with respect to health related quality of life (HRQOL, EQ-5D) at three years. Secondary outcomes include other weight loss measures, waist circumference and remission/resolution of co-morbidities; generic and symptom-specific HRQOL; nutritional blood test results; resource use; eating behaviours and adverse events. A core outcome set for reporting the results of obesity surgery will be developed and a systematic review of the evidence for sleeve gastrectomy undertaken to inform the main study design.
Discussion

By-Band is the first pragmatic study to compare the two most commonly performed bariatric surgical procedures for severe and complex obesity. The design will enable and empower surgeons to learn to recruit and participate in a randomised study. Early evidence shows that timely recruitment is possible.

Can you say no Jackie, surely you can without any added delay? Xx

Hi Aud
Yeah I can. I think this is why I waited longer for the MDT result as they were sorting this out. I can pull out at anytime apparently without prejudice but not sure. I am half tempted to agree and If I get randomised to the bypass then happy days as I think the care would be fab. If I get randomised to the Band then I could pull out ha ha! Why is nothing straightforward?
How are you doing?
Jackie
xx

Don't wish to confuse you but I didn't think you would get told what you were given until after the op......

Don't wish to confuse you but I didn't think you would get told what you were given until after the op......

Oh really Suzie? That confirms it then, definitely not doing it! I just hope it does not slow things down :sigh:

Oh really Suzie? That confirms it then, definitely not doing it! I just hope it does not slow things down :sigh:

I'm not 100% sure Jac, I would ask them or see if anyone else on here has taken part and can tell you more - I'm sure I saw a thread a little while ago....

It shouldn't slow things down, you can't be penalised for not taking part. Maybe you can discuss it with the surgeon at your next appointment???

Try and speak to someone about it - surely someone must know! What I find hard to comprehend is the totally different approach in communication from the different authorities, you can't even say it's a North/South divide! Xx

If this controlled study is the case that you go to sleep and wake up with either a band or a bypass without knowing then in all fairness I am not sure how they expect to recruit? The surgeries are so different and the outcomes/post surgery impact are currently also reputed to be very different. As desperate as I am for wls I don't think even I would place op lotto :) I don't blame you for being a bit concerned !

Try and speak to someone about it - surely someone must know! What I find hard to comprehend is the totally different approach in communication from the different authorities, you can't even say it's a North/South divide! Xx

It is so different isn't it? I am going to ring them on Monday xx

If this controlled study is the case that you go to sleep and wake up with either a band or a bypass without knowing then in all fairness I am not sure how they expect to recruit? The surgeries are so different and the outcomes/post surgery impact are currently also reputed to be very different. As desperate as I am for wls I don't think even I would place op lotto :) I don't blame you for being a bit concerned !

That's what I am thinking Debs, they are so different. I don't think I could just go to theatre not knowing what was going to be done. I need to be prepared for post op but as you say these would be very different. I am going to ring them on Monday for more information xx

Hi Aud I rang the hospital and I have an appointment with Mr Jennings next Wednesday hooray!!! Xx

Yay that's great news!! That should speed things up a bit for you, endoscopy next step then it's pretty quick after that. It'll be here before you know it x

Yay that's great news!! That should speed things up a bit for you, endoscopy next step then it's pretty quick after that. It'll be here before you know it x

I hope so Suzie! Can't wait! x

has the by band trial been altered. Hope so. I know you were not bowled over. Hope you're ok ?

Hi Debs
I'm fine. It is my appointment tomorrow so will see what happens, will let you know. How are you?
Thanks
Jackie
Xx

Back