• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Have you mentally adjusted to the new you?

I guess h this is why we see a head doc...as they say to "manage" ...on the other hand I am lucky the IAPT I see used to deal specifically with eating disorder people....she has me doing body awareness tasks lol...NOT that I want to be aware right now thankyou very much

I still can't see it 13 months on. On a good day I'm size 8 and on a bad I'm size 6. I was a generous size 20 before.

I saw my reflection in a shop mirror a while back and had to do a double take. To make matters worse my husband still doesn't recognise me when collecting me anywhere and drives straight past me.

My best friend is the best and will take a no holds barred approach to my well being. She tells me when I'm too thin and when we go out for a walk we mysteriously end up at Costa for a latte & is so so patient with me as I sip.

She also took some secret camera footage if me, I just had seen it until I saw the film on my phone !!

Sorry jemima but I lol'd a little at the idea of your husband driving past you... It's the kind of thing my husband will do I expect.

One time after significant weight loss I remember walking down a high street past shop windows seeing someone in the window reflection and thinking " that's how slim I want to be.".. It taking three or four shops before I realised it was actually me...!
At lighterlife counselling they say it takes about a year for your brain to catch up with your body after such a significant change, trouble is for most they have put the weight back on by then..

Or do you keep looking checking ...have you gone down in clothes sizes without realising you skipped a level ?

I haven't looked at myself for such along time I wonder if I will meet what I think I am as opposed to what I am if you get my drift.

Roll on bypass I want to see what I can do

jo

It's so hard. I still don't recognise my reflection but I know and can see I've lost weight. I guess I was fat for over 10 years so it'll take time to adjust to the new me. I'd feel better without all the excess and saggy skin.

6 years post op and nope, not adjusted at all. I now have body dysmorphia and zero concept of what size or shape I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

And going between cars. And sitting on chairs with arms. I still sit ever so gingerly and its not even really concious.

I now can sit in the chair in the meeting rooms at work and not touch the arms, where as before they dug into my thighs and really hurt.
Also the seatbelt in the car was pulled out to the max now it's got loads of spare room.
I brought a pair of cropped size 24 jeans in Asda about 5 weeks ago ready for when I needed them I thought they might still be to tight when I tried them on last week and they're too BIG. I couldn't believe it. I now need to go back and get some size 22.
When I was a size 30/32 I thought I would be happy if I got down to a size 22 but now 12/14 sounds better...

I think there are 2 different sizes 22 or any other size. On way up (putting the weight on) you don't have the lose sink to hanging around. On the way down there's a surplus of sink on arms, tummy even thighs. Even when you reach a good size it'll never be the same before the weight went on. No flat tummy with good abs, no tight arms without enough skin to fly with. Don't get me wrong I can't wait to slimmer lose skin and all, but I don't like the folds..

I think Control Wear company's will make a fortune off me, lol :D

My friend from Manchester came down 4 weeks ago (I hadn't seen her since December), I went to meet her at Charing Cross, she looked straight past me, it's only when I spoke that she recognised me and her dropped jaw was reward in itself, lol.

She then came back 2 weeks later and I picked her up in Croydon, and she didn't recognise me AGAIN.

She says she can see me visibly melt from visit to visit. :D

Me personally, it's the odd unexpected sensations: putting my hand on my hip and feeling a hollow in the curve where there used to be just another tyre. Going to the theatre the other night and my backside fitting between the chair struts instead of overhanging. Going to the local caff the other day and finding I don't catch on the table when sitting down and coming out. Like I said, little things which surprise me at each corner. Feels good. :)

My friend from Manchester came down 4 weeks ago (I hadn't seen her since December), I went to meet her at Charing Cross, she looked straight past me, it's only when I spoke that she recognised me and her dropped jaw was reward in itself, lol.

She then came back 2 weeks later and I picked her up in Croydon, and she didn't recognise me AGAIN.

She says she can see me visibly melt from visit to visit. :D

Me personally, it's the odd unexpected sensations: putting my hand on my hip and feeling a hollow in the curve where there used to be just another tyre. Going to the theatre the other night and my backside fitting between the chair struts instead of overhanging. Going to the local caff the other day and finding I don't catch on the table when sitting down and coming out. Like I said, little things which surprise me at each corner. Feels good. :)

It's those little moments that make it all worthwhile isn't it :D

I remember reading somewhere that it takes your head one month per stone of weight lost to catch up with the "new look" by the time you're at goal. So, if you lose 10 stones, it will take you the time to get to goal + 10 months to process your new appearance.

Makes sense, I think.

Its when I catch a glimpse of my face is when I get a shock. I now have the face I always knew was there but figured no one else could see it, lol. Loose skin is an issue, mainly on my arms, makes me feel very flabby indeed, and does limit the clothes I feel I can wear.

Today I'm meeting a friend I haven't seen since May 2012 - actually it was the day I was told I had funding. So its going to be interesting what her reaction will be.

How come when I look in the mirror I don't look any different than I did when I was 24 stone. My daughter in law had my buy a size 18 hooded zip up sweatshirt today instead of the 22 I was going to buy cus she said it was to big and wouldn't last me more than a couple of weeks.

Why don't my eyes see what my family see. Weird.

Sadly, I can't see myself in the mirror, and it is really hard for me to see the changes as well or even feel them, but when I am somewhere and fit in chairs, ofr through small gaps, that's when I realise that I am actually smaller than I used to be. As far as loose dskin is concerned, I am amazed, but I haven't got any yet after 14 weeks. I really thought I would have, as I have stretch marks.

Today I put a coat on eBay that I had last back end. I tried it on and it wrapped around me from hip to hip. It was tight in October last year now it's great to see the difference.

Happened to me and a body warmer... Bought it in April and it was quite tight, now I disappear in it, so have to get rid of it. I'm not complaining though... :)

Sadly, I can't see myself in the mirror, and it is really hard for me to see the changes as well or even feel them, but when I am somewhere and fit in chairs, ofr through small gaps, that's when I realise that I am actually smaller than I used to be. As far as loose dskin is concerned, I am amazed, but I haven't got any yet after 14 weeks. I really thought I would have, as I have stretch marks.

that's brill news for you on the skin side and you have done amazing on loss well done!

Your sooooo lucky. My loose skin reaches the floor (small exaggeration). Oh for a tummy tuck. All in good time, I'll get the weight if first and then we'll see.

I know, I do feel very lucky, I really thought I would have loads of loose skin but I don't. Hope I won't get it much later.

Back