• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello! Looking for advice please

This surgery is life changing so it's best to be honest with the people looking after you. Any issues need to be addressed before surgery. Complications do happen, not often but they do happen and you will need to be in the best place mentally and physically to ensure the best possible outcome.
The end result is well worth the effort and it will always be a challenge to beat past behaviours, but there is support and there will always be others who have encountered what your feeling and will be happy to reassure you and be there to listen.
Good luck with your journey.

Sorry to have scared you, every hospital will have some complications because it is a big operation so please don't lose confidence in Castle Hill because of my experience. This was very rare.

The whole team's motivation is your safety and helping you to be successful so I wouldn't hold anything back from any of them. If something causes a delay then there will be a good reason for it.

Sorry to have scared you, every hospital will have some complications because it is a big operation so please don't lose confidence in Castle Hill because of my experience. This was very rare.

The whole team's motivation is your safety and helping you to be successful so I wouldn't hold anything back from any of them. If something causes a delay then there will be a good reason for it.

Don't be sorry, I'm very glad to be in contact with someone who has gone through this and can answer my silly questions haha :)
I got my referral letter today for the 22nd of August, which I think is pretty good being just over a month since I saw my GP. Do you know if they have cancellation lists I could go on to potentially see them even earlier?

No harm in asking but it's only a month away. When I was listed for surgery I did say I would take a cancellation date at short notice and was offered a date in December at two weeks notice but couldn't take it up as I had another procedure booked.

Hi and welcome :)

I just had surgery (sleeve) at Castle Hill with Dr Pellen on 3rd July so I am just under 3 weeks out. I was referred directly from my GP, seen at Castle Hill within a few weeks and then I had all the same appointments that were listed above with women's team at Hull Royal and Beryl. Also met Dr Pellen and he is beyond lovely! I had approx 5 visits with Beryl and she didn't pass me on until I had lost weight. I then was referred to Claire the Bariatric Nurse and she told me that the board had approved me for surgery with a referral BMI of 52. (I had no other health related conditions at the point of referral)

I was then put on the waiting list and I was told 6-9 months but I actually received a date within approx 4 weeks but had to cancel due to work commitments. I was then given another for 3rd July which I accepted. I would say the whole process was approx a year! Hope this helps and best of luck with your journey xx

Hi and welcome :)

I just had surgery (sleeve) at Castle Hill with Dr Pellen on 3rd July so I am just under 3 weeks out. I was referred directly from my GP, seen at Castle Hill within a few weeks and then I had all the same appointments that were listed above with women's team at Hull Royal and Beryl. Also met Dr Pellen and he is beyond lovely! I had approx 5 visits with Beryl and she didn't pass me on until I had lost weight. I then was referred to Claire the Bariatric Nurse and she told me that the board had approved me for surgery with a referral BMI of 52. (I had no other health related conditions at the point of referral)

I was then put on the waiting list and I was told 6-9 months but I actually received a date within approx 4 weeks but had to cancel due to work commitments. I was then given another for 3rd July which I accepted. I would say the whole process was approx a year! Hope this helps and best of luck with your journey xx

Hi! Thanks for the reply and sharing your story with me, yes my referral letter says I will meet the team at my appointment, how much weight did you have to lose to be put forward for surgery?

I'm so happy to hear that they're lovely there, of course it's a very sensitive topic and I got very lucky with my GP being the nicest doctor I've ever met. I'm quite anxious about the whole process, mainly about being sent back and forth and being let down.

Do you have any tips/advice to maybe speed up the process? I'm only 21 and have just finished university and so desperately want to get on with my life but this is the one thing really holding me back. I'm so grateful for this forum!

Hi! Thanks for the reply and sharing your story with me, yes my referral letter says I will meet the team at my appointment, how much weight did you have to lose to be put forward for surgery?

I'm so happy to hear that they're lovely there, of course it's a very sensitive topic and I got very lucky with my GP being the nicest doctor I've ever met. I'm quite anxious about the whole process, mainly about being sent back and forth and being let down.

Do you have any tips/advice to maybe speed up the process? I'm only 21 and have just finished university and so desperately want to get on with my life but this is the one thing really holding me back. I'm so grateful for this forum!

She didn't give me a specific weight loss requirement but I had already lost 1 stone prior to seeing her, then I had maintained that loss but it wasn't until I'd lost another 10lbs that she passed me onto the next steps. I think it's because they ask you to eat 3 balanced meals a day with no snacking in between at all - so they would obviously expect some weight loss from this if you stick to it and they need to see evidence that you have really, as you need to do that after surgery.

I suffer with anxiety too so I know how you feel, they are helpful and if your ever concerned just contact Claire the bariatric nurse as she is lovely and helpful. If you ever have any queries just let me know and I'll try to help!

With regards to speeding it up, I don't know of a way. Obviously they do prioritise based on health conditions etc for the actual waiting list but I think the process is the same for everyone with regards to the other assessments. I think in a way, having to wait and attend all the appointments and do your research, helps you mentally prepare. It is a massive operation and it will change your life forever. I'm 3 weeks out today and my life has completely changed, it's been a physical and emotional rollercoaster.

Xx

Hi I'm at hull too. Mr sedman is a very good surgeon. I know someone who had him and he is excellent. Good luck on your journey xx

I saw Mr Pellen last week for my six month follow up. I have absolute respect for the man. He has no arrogance, answers any questions candidly and fully. He talks to me as an equal (obviously he has more medical knowledge) and respects my intelligence. From all reports I've heard Mr Sedman is the same.

I am going to have a minor procedure in the next month or so that will resolve the last little issue I have with the original problems and I trust him fully.

Two weeks on Tuesday to your first appointment Ovilia, I'll be thinking of you.

Hi @oliviafrances and welcome!

I am also Hull and under Mr Pellen.

One thing to bear in mind with Mr Sedman is that he also works with cancer patients so his lists can be longer than Mr Pellen. I know from OWLSS (the support group) that there have been issues previously with people waiting a lot longer with him. This might not still be the case, but it might be worth asking at your first apt what the current waitlist times are for the different bariatric surgeons once cleared for surgery. Then you might be able to request a change if necessary?

You will need to attend meetings of OWLSS and have a card stamped to show you have attended. They meet once a month in Hull at the Spires hospital and once a month in Scunthorpe. The Facebook page/group can be helpful too but as stated above the group isn't for everyone.

Good luck and keep posting - start a diary if you haven't already!

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments, it's getting close to my first appointment and I'm getting very excited and a little nervous. Since my referral from my doctors I fear I may have put on a couple of pounds, will they send me away and refuse to see me? I've heard they're very strict when it comes to this. Also, any tips for my first appointment would be very appreciated, and when is it likely they will tell me im approved for surgery?

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments, it's getting close to my first appointment and I'm getting very excited and a little nervous. Since my referral from my doctors I fear I may have put on a couple of pounds, will they send me away and refuse to see me? I've heard they're very strict when it comes to this. Also, any tips for my first appointment would be very appreciated, and when is it likely they will tell me im approved for surgery?

I doubt they will turn you away for a few pounds gain. But once you start the programme and attend the dietician appointments etc, they do expect you to lose weight as they ask you keep a food diary and cut out all snacking, just 3 meals a day. X

No absolutely not. I look forward to hearing how your first appointment goes. My experience is that they don't require you to lose weight, just not gain it after your first appointment. Beryl's advice is to have three meals a day that satisfy you and no snacking in between. not even an apple. Many people do lose weight doing this but the weight loss is not a requirement. The food diary was very helpful to me. I also recorded my exercise and my mood, and why (sometimes) I ate sweets or snacked.

The three meals a day thing is incredibly helpful and I follow it religiously because now I am only hungry three times a day and I major on protein, the veggies, then carbs. I don't feel in the slightest deprived of anything I want to eat.

I doubt they will turn you away for a few pounds gain. But once you start the programme and attend the dietician appointments etc, they do expect you to lose weight as they ask you keep a food diary and cut out all snacking, just 3 meals a day. X
Great thanks, when/which appointment was you told you're approved for surgery?

No absolutely not. I look forward to hearing how your first appointment goes. My experience is that they don't require you to lose weight, just not gain it after your first appointment. Beryl's advice is to have three meals a day that satisfy you and no snacking in between. not even an apple. Many people do lose weight doing this but the weight loss is not a requirement. The food diary was very helpful to me. I also recorded my exercise and my mood, and why (sometimes) I ate sweets or snacked.

The three meals a day thing is incredibly helpful and I follow it religiously because now I am only hungry three times a day and I major on protein, the veggies, then carbs. I don't feel in the slightest deprived of anything I want to eat.
Ok, thanks again Julia, when was it that you was told you was approved for surgery? :)

The second time I saw the consultant he listed me, this was about four months after the first appointment, I then had to wait about 3 months for the surgery.

Back