• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Honestly, any regrets?

Only 1 regret, I wish I'd had it sooner :)

I didn't for the first 4 weeks. The last week I have had a lot of nausea and fatigue so I am just not feeling it at the moment but I am off to see the dietician in a little while and see if they can suggest anything - I just want to start getting on with my life.

I know still it's early days but I don't want this to be the start of a spiral downwards or then I will have real case of buyers remorse.

Yes I have regrets but I would still have it done if I had to choose. I'm loving the new me lost 5 stone 11lbs since October, but I do have occasions where I wish I could reverse it just for maybe one night a month, I feel almost like I'm grieving when I can't have any of the things I used to love, especially when I go away and I can't have anything nice on the menu, just jacket spud or salad every time, what I wouldn't give to have a creamy dish or a chip, or an occasional pudding and most of all a glass of wine! I know they are the reasons I put weight on so should be elated I can no longer choose them, but the operation doesn't stop your longing for a sweet treat, or food you fancy but you know if you eat it you will be extremely ill, (in pain, sickness and diarrhoea) so yes I'm happy I had my op and have a new figure, but you don't appreciate before the op that you are never going to be able to have things you like ever again but your mind and every fibre of your being still craves these things so it's hard, very very hard. Good luck xx

My only regret is that I got so big in the first place and was miserable in my 20's and 30's. My bypass has changed my life for the better. I ate so much for 20yrs that I now don't miss food at all. I'm lucky. I remain detached and see how it destroyed any hope of a normal life. I was ready to stop eating and LIVE. Sitting at the table and being a part of family engagements/lunch with friends is enough for me. But I do understand why some people miss food. We are all different and our journeys are all different, but the common thread is that we all wanted to change and lose the weight. The tools we are given WORK....but you can't play at this....if you aren't honest with yourself or commit to the changes needed, you will fail. It isn't easy. I'm 6 months out and still have days where I feel fatigued, frustrated, nauseous.....but I've lost 9 stone....and it feels AMAZING!!!! X

regrets

one step forward 10 back.its just been one thing after another.at the moment I have a super bug In my bowel.on antibiotic.as I said inmy thread im struggling to eat.i just think im nervous I do hold myself tense when I eat.then I end up with all this reflux stopping my food going down.im letting all this take over my life instead of relaxing and just taking it steady.at this moment I do regret it but I have to start again sit down and plan.i was ok brill up to 4 weeks post op.im sure my answer will be different in a month or two.so this Wednesday I see consultant again.and dietician.and probably a talk with the psychologist.i hope you all are well and take care soohoo

being only 4 weeks post op this week i have one and that was that i waited so long i was originally asked in 2011 by my gp if i wanted a referral i said no i wasnt ready when looking back i probably was ready and wasted over a year but none since being post op i have had it easy i think compared to some who have struggles

Yes I have regrets but I would still have it done if I had to choose. I'm loving the new me lost 5 stone 11lbs since October, but I do have occasions where I wish I could reverse it just for maybe one night a month, I feel almost like I'm grieving when I can't have any of the things I used to love, especially when I go away and I can't have anything nice on the menu, just jacket spud or salad every time, what I wouldn't give to have a creamy dish or a chip, or an occasional pudding and most of all a glass of wine! I know they are the reasons I put weight on so should be elated I can no longer choose them, but the operation doesn't stop your longing for a sweet treat, or food you fancy but you know if you eat it you will be extremely ill, (in pain, sickness and diarrhoea) so yes I'm happy I had my op and have a new figure, but you don't appreciate before the op that you are never going to be able to have things you like ever again but your mind and every fibre of your being still craves these things so it's hard, very very hard. Good luck xx
can I ask did you have a bypass and that's why you can't eat creamy dishes or chips why I'm asking is I have a band and if I really fancied a chip or something creamy I could just not a lot of it x

Yes sorry I had a bypass x
what so can't you eat fatty things or creamy why I ask is I hear a lot on hear about dumping it might sound thick but what does dumping mean being sick or going toilet and do you only dump with a bypass sorry for the questions I suppose it would drive you mad knowing you can never ever eat a little bit of something you enjoy know and again like I say with the band you can have a little bit of something you enjoy xx

Not everyone dumps and people can dump on different things. So far for me I have been able to eat what I have wanted but in small amounts. Had a little bit of choccy tonight after dinner. Yum.

Dumping tends to happen with high fat or high sugar foods and therefor best avoided by bypassers and sleevers. It can also been seen as a tool to help keep you on the right track.

I personally don't think its a bad thing as it promotes a clean and healthy diet. :)

Dumping for me takes 2 forms and can happen on foods that ok with one day but not the next, which makes eating out very tricky, type 1 is about 20 mins after eating I begin to sweat, have heart palpitations and feel sick as a dog and you have to lay down and sleep it off, type 2 can happen upto 4 hours after eating and I'm violently sick with accompanying diarrhoea makes you feel awful, and also if I eat anything too quickly I feel like the food is instantly stuck and I froth at the mouth as though I have rabies!!! As the above person said it has different triggers for different people I can eat pasta and rice and even small amounts of well chewed steak but if I eat something like a low fat custard I'm really ill, and yogurt, and banana, and egg, and bread, and wine!!! and I haven't dared try chocolate for 6 months lol, I think my triggers are definitely sugar and although something is low fat doesn't necessarily mean low sugar. But as I said although I sometimes wish I could turn it off for an odd treat realistically idd probably go back to my old habits and put the weight back on so I guess it's a good thing. I'm hoping that my cravings for naughty foods will lessen as time goes on, but believe me once you've dumped the fear of dumping again stops you from even trying the odd treat. Good luck in whatever you decide I went private and so had no prior psychiatric or dietary advice so this new life was a bit of a learning curve.

Dumping for me takes 2 forms and can happen on foods that ok with one day but not the next, which makes eating out very tricky, type 1 is about 20 mins after eating I begin to sweat, have heart palpitations and feel sick as a dog and you have to lay down and sleep it off, type 2 can happen upto 4 hours after eating and I'm violently sick with accompanying diarrhoea makes you feel awful, and also if I eat anything too quickly I feel like the food is instantly stuck and I froth at the mouth as though I have rabies!!! As the above person said it has different triggers for different people I can eat pasta and rice and even small amounts of well chewed steak but if I eat something like a low fat custard I'm really ill, and yogurt, and banana, and egg, and bread, and wine!!! and I haven't dared try chocolate for 6 months lol, I think my triggers are definitely sugar and although something is low fat doesn't necessarily mean low sugar. But as I said although I sometimes wish I could turn it off for an odd treat realistically idd probably go back to my old habits and put the weight back on so I guess it's a good thing. I'm hoping that my cravings for naughty foods will lessen as time goes on, but believe me once you've dumped the fear of dumping again stops you from even trying the odd treat. Good luck in whatever you decide I went private and so had no prior psychiatric or dietary advice so this new life was a bit of a learning curve.
thanks really interesting even though I have the band it's nice to hear over stories and understand other wls to do with the sleeve / bypass but I do agree with you because I can be a bit naughty with eating habits if I was one of those who didn't control it I could go of the rails I have lost 7 stone in nine months just maintaining it good luck ladies xx

i was bypassed almost 4 weeks ago havent dumped yet but havent pushed my luck i can have custard but its the no added sugar variety but i cant have the no added sugar angel delight i tried tiny bit from hubbys bowl and just didnt sit right though didnt cause dumping

At 9 months out I have no real regrets here. I'm a BIG dumper and really have to scrutinise what I'm eating. Sometimes it can take me by total surprise. I have two squares of chocolate on Saturday evenings and I have never had an issue until last Saturday where within half an hour I had the classic type 1 dump ... A bit like being very very drunk and it's not pleasant at all. Can't fathom out why I did either :( There has been an occasional time when I have a "yen" for something ..an Ice cream cone or fish and chips while on a day out for example but I simply can't..not without ruining the whole day for everyone and yes at those times I think "it's just not fair" but then I come home after walking miles then go look at the clothes I can now wear (all impossibilities a year ago) and think god I love my bypass :D so no I have no real regrets at all

Back