• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How can i make him understand?

I have the same problem but with my husband and daughter who's 19 and slim.My husband thinks all you need is will power but when you've been dieting all your life my will power as up and left.It's hard to make them see that it's the right decision for us but it will be. x

If only we could buy Willpower in a bottle it would make life much easier :).
I have had times when I have had great willpower, but this is not one of them :(. I can't see it returning any time soon to help me lose 11st :(.

I think when I read about everyone else and see how well they are doing it spurs me on.It's a hard way to lose weight but i need something to help me from filling myself to the brim x

Thank you ever so much everyone! Too many of you to list! After reading all your posts it has made me even more determined to stick to my guns. I wil sit him down and tell him that by putting so much pressure on me is not helping me and is just making me feel emotionally drained. I do have support from my mum, sister, brother and partner. Unfortunately he doesn't speak to any of them! He can be a right stubborn old fool sometimes! I know he says the things he does because he loves me and i will always be his little girl. Just hope he listens this time. :) thanks again everyone. Your advice truely is priceless. Big hugs to you all! X

I look at my own children and pray they never have to alter what nature gave them. Hypocritical for sure.. but it's an overwhelming sense of protection to someone you love unconditionally ...... Your dad would probably love you if you were 100 stone and covered in green spots and so will not understand the impact the weight may have on you life and self esteem. All the advice seems right to me, you can only discuss this rationally and listen to eachother, but he sounds like a caring guy to me and probably loves you to bits.

Yoyo

Reactions: Taz
Hi Amy. My husband was the same as your dad - wanted me to have the band not the bypass. In his case it was because the band is 'safer and less intrusive'. However, after we both spoke to the consultant, and hubby was able to ask his questions, he now realises why I want the bypass and will support me through it. Have you seen the consultant yet? If not, when you do, take your dad with you so he can be reassured about your decision. If you've already seen the consultant, were you given the contact details for support groups in your area? You could go to one of these and take dad with you, so he can see for himself people who have been through the bypass and how they are coping with it. Just remind him that you love him but it's your body and your life and you have to do what's right for you.
BTW: whilst I was waiting to see the consultant yesterday, a lady come in for her appointment. She had opted for a band and it hadn't worked, so now she was back for a bypass. I'm not saying it doesn't work for everyone (the band) but there's a greater chance with it than the bypass. Julie

BTW: whilst I was waiting to see the consultant yesterday, a lady come in for her appointment. She had opted for a band and it hadn't worked, so now she was back for a bypass. I'm not saying it doesn't work for everyone (the band) but there's a greater chance with it than the bypass. Julie

did the lady say why the band didnt work for her ?

Last edited:
you do whats best for you amy, im sure he will come around once he sees you loosing weight and feeling happier and healthier in yourself.

liz x

bands are not to blame, they are there to help not cure, the band itself cant be blamed as saying "it didnt work for me" it will of probably not worked because she hasnt followed the band rules. A band does not control what we choose to put in our mouths as that bits down to the patient.

well said liz , the band is a tool to help you lose weight.......as you have told me many a times ;)

well said liz , the band is a tool to help you lose weight.......as you have told me many a times ;)

a band cannot not work unless its faulted, the only other reason is not following band rules from your surgeon and dietician.

Hi Dee,

You might want to post that as a new thread, just click the new thread button at the bottom of the page. It will get easily overlooked here on the end of someone elses thread :)

Hi Liz - no I was called in to see M Slater at that point so don't kow why it didn't work.

thanks

Back