• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I'm new, scared/excited at prospect of surgery

voodoo

Hi I used to post on the Cambridge section of MinMins and found this page through that. I'm going for a consult at The Hospital Group on 20 June and, hopefully a lapband on 7 July:eek:. I've tried many diets and exercise regimes but it's getting harder as I get older and after thinking about it for years I've 'taken the plunge' to get this surgery. I'm sick of being tired, aching joints and just avoiding mirrors, I need to get healthy before I end up in a wheelchair or with another illness, fortunately I'm healthy (apart from depression). Any tips/advice would be appreciated.
thanks,
sharon:)
ps I will be writing this as a kind of diary so I hope it's not in the wrong place!

Hi, welcome and good luck on your journey!

You are in good company here, lots of us have dabbled with Cambridge before taking the plunge!

Im 2 years post op band and Im under my goal BMI of 25.

There is a band section on here and lots of threads to get to know people on. Have a look around and ask any question, chances are one of us had the same ones pre op too x

Hi voodoo I'm new too. I have my op booked for this Thursday. I hope everything goes well with you and your journey.

Hi i'm 2 weeks post op, I had mine done at the hospital group in Bromsgrove and they were fab so good luck

Welcome aboard xxx

Wow! Thanks for all the welcomes,:) it's great that there are others due to be 'done' soon and others who've been there...hoping for tips, advice...lol!;)
Bahia, how are you finding it? Did you manage the low carb/milk yoghurt diet or whatever ok? Were you in much pain after the op? I've heard the gas they pump in can be a real problem sometimes as well! Are you feeling 'normal' now...sheesh I have loads of questions!:confused: lol I've seen your consultant on tv, he was quite handsome but had little patience for people who don't do as they're supposed to.xxxx
Deets you had you op on my birthday! lol How do you eat, is it much different than before or just smaller amounts? xxxx
Mazza, you've done so well! How was your recovery? Do you still find there are foods you can't eat? Do you exercise much? (sorry if I'm being too personal) xxxxx
JRichard, are you scared yet? I feel fine but I'm having terrible nightmares (always a sign I'm worried) What are you packing up for your stay? I've heard that a 'dry mouth spray' is essential as it sugar-free cordial. Let me know how you're doing, it will be fun (hopefully) to share notes/tips.xxxx
xxx sharon

Mazza, you've done so well! How was your recovery? Do you still find there are foods you can't eat? Do you exercise much? (sorry if I'm being too personal) xxxxx

Hiya

Thank you! my recovery was pretty good. I had my op on a Saturday, home on Sunday back to work the Monday after (not the next day).

Yes there are foods I cannot eat but also foods I chose not to, those that are notorius for causing problems with bands ie bread, rice and pasta.

I do exercise a fair bit but I always have so not much has changed there.

Have a look at the banders daily food and exercise thread for some tips x x

oo we can celebrate togther!! :D I eat much healthier these days and smaller portions. I try and follow the rule of protein 1st, veggies 2nd and carbs last. So far it seems to be working! Im fussier about what i eat too...:p

Hi Voodoo, Recovery was quick, gas was a bit of a problem esp in my shoulder but 2 weeks in feel ok

:welcome:Hi Sharon, I havent had my surgery yet (12 July) so Im verrrryyyyy excited, scared, emotional, and a plethera of other emotions I didnt know existed. I wish Id made this decision 10 years ago but I wasnt in the right frame of mind at the time - no one I knew had it done and it would have felt very drastic - now I cant believe the amount of people who get it done. Good luck and welcome to the formum. xxx

Welcome and good luck x x

Thanks again!:)
I'm so glad I asked about HRT, she explained about the four weeks medfree, and we worked out the soonest date for the op & I pre-booked (& paid a refundable deposit, if for any reason I couldn't go ahead) my op BEFORE the consult (I am VERY impatient! lol) so I go 20th June & 7th July for op. I wonder why there are such big gaps between consults and ops? I know to expect it on NHS but if you're paying it seems a long wait Ankaas.:confused: Like you I looked into it years ago but the cost & the fact I could always lose when I FOLLOWED THE DIET,;) lol, stopped me. Now at 46, three years after an early menopause, I struggle; I stick to a diet (Slimming World) AND exercise (Rosemary Conley Salsacise or Biggest Loser (UK) dvds) at least 3 times a week for 30-40 mins plus lots of walking & gardening and lose BU**ER all! I truly hope this is a 'cure' for us.:D
I've been looking at clothes & wondering how I'll look in them,:rolleyes: my sis is a size 12 but has a lovely size 14 leather bike jacket she's saving for me...I'm thinking long-term to stop myself worrying about the op. Recovery isn't bothering me, a rest with pain is quite normal for me (migraines & joint pains) but the thought of being put under & having gas pumped into me (I have enough of my own!:8855:) terrifies me.
Is anyone thinking the fear of being sick will 'scare' them into staying on the food plan? I hate being sick so I'm hoping it will stop me from cheating & of course the actual COST of the op, failure is not an option unless I want a divorce! lol (hubby is taking a loan out for the cost, he is NOT happy about it)
xxxx sharon

Last edited:
I wish I had done it sooner as well. No regrets at all. There is lots of support for you on sites like this. Have you looked at other options other than the band?

Hi voodoo welcome to the forum my date is aug 7th And I think I more worried about op and being put under also incase any probs with test they and won't be able to do but I am confident i in good hands at r
The hospital group xxxx

Welcome Voodoo, hope all goes well on your journey. This site is very good and there is lots of support out there as you've found out.

Hi & thanks everyone! xxxx
Kazzer I looked at other ops but they were all so intrusive, tried all the diets too, I just start 'cheating' after a month or so, no matter how I try not to, if that makes any sense, lol!. Hopefully the fact that I'll be sick if I overeat AND the cost will stop me.xxxx
It's my consult today, I had a tummy bug over the week-end and I'm all sweaty and feeling 'odd', just waiting for water to hot up so I can shower & feel 'normal' again! I'm eating a pro-biotic yoghurt I bought for the reduction diet, lol, not that I need practise at it! Hoping it will settle my tummy, as I don't want to run out on the consultant or nurse to find a loo! Sorry TMI.
xxxxx sharon

Back