• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

IM SO ANRGY, NO SICKPAY

no i work in accounts. x

:wave_cry:
I would show him all the letters from your PCT prior to the hospital ones. He can see then the NHS emblem.
I am only telling my immediate boss that I am having a 'stomach operation', I know I will be referred to Occupational Health, then I will explain to them as I know this will be kept private. I not bothered about anyone knowing about my operation, but the less hassle and people nosying the better!!!
xxx

hi i asked about this at first meeting and they said that it was not elective and that they would give me a sicknote. dont worry, you will get a sicknote and they will have to pay the sickpay. i am in the same situation. i work full time and could no way afford to not get paid for a month! good luck but it cannot be seen as elective so am sure it will get sorted xx

j.u.s.t.l.i.z. said:
you will be asked before leaving SRH if you need a sicknote, if needed request one before
x

Do you have an idea of what description it will say on the sick note from SRH? I haven't told work I am getting a gastric bypass and am planning to tell them that I am having a hiatus hernia op. If the sick note mentions a bypass, then I will prob just self cert for a week and maybe take some leave.

Thank you everyone, i think it will be ok. i will be more then happy to hand him my letter and i wont be in a hurry to get back to work thats for sure. xxxxxxxxxxxx

9 weeks

i had 9 weeks off following my op with full pay ....... I suppose its different employers different rules

I was asked the same thing when I had my gastric band as I was paying privately they said it was classed as elective surgery i.e the same as plastic surgery, I asked a doctor for a note and he laughed that my company even asked for such a thing and scribbled a quote letter for me for no charge !. It was even more insulting as I had worked there for 10 years !

My work have queried this again as Im waiting for a gastric bypass on the NHS. I did say that as it was on the NHS then obviously its "for medical reasons".

Its even more annoying as I fractured my vetebrae due to falling down the stairs at work which has partially caused my weight gain lol. (5 years ago for which I only had 3 days off)

I hope you get it sorted.

Lisa

:mad::mad: Im fumming i work full time for the same company for 11 years and they said i might not get sickpay because its not medical...is that a bloody joke. he said i must get a letter from my doctors to say i need it...is he fooking blind im the size of a freaking house. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Hi there im Lorraine, nice to meet you..
OMG what is your boss like.... i only work part tme and i am entitled to sick pay... and yes it is medical... its for your health and your future... ive just spoken to a friend who works for benifits in MK and she has said you are entitled to statutary sick pay and the company have to pay it... you just need a sick note from yor doctors surgery. if your boss is still being an arse, then explain to them that without the op you would eventually have to give up the job as your health would suffer.. all the best hun and good luck x
Rayne xx

I know that at my place they consider elective surgery as 'cosmetic' but you can fight it, I successfully got sick pay for a bloke who had time off for a vasectomy which they said was cosmetic!!! (his wife didn't think so!!)

I am not telling anyone at work and I hope to go down the 'stomach' op route!!

Hi Babybell,

Did you get this sorted? I see your op is in one days' time.

For me, even tho my employer would pay sick pay, I have decided to take 3 week's annual leave to recover and hope (fingers crossed etc) that if everything goes well with no complications I won't need more than that.

My job is sedentary (admin/desk based) so my surgeon agreed that 3 weeks would be "feasible" for recovery time, rather than 6 weeks signed off sick (which might be needed if my job was more physical).

Also, my sickness record for the past few years is not good, as I have Diabetes I have been very prone to one infection after another ...... so I am keen not to start the new year with 3 or 6 weeks sickness added onto my already poor sickness absence record.

But this is my personal choice.

But if you *need* sick pay and are entitled to it, your employer really should pay if if ANY medical professional (the surgeon or your own GP) signs you off for work as medically unfit to work.

Best wishes.

Sharonimo said:
Hi Babybell,

Did you get this sorted? I see your op is in one days' time.

For me, even tho my employer would pay sick pay, I have decided to take 3 week's annual leave to recover and hope (fingers crossed etc) that if everything goes well with no complications I won't need more than that.

My job is sedentary (admin/desk based) so my surgeon agreed that 3 weeks would be "feasible" for recovery time, rather than 6 weeks signed off sick (which might be needed if my job was more physical).

Also, my sickness record for the past few years is not good, as I have Diabetes I have been very prone to one infection after another ...... so I am keen not to start the new year with 3 or 6 weeks sickness added onto my already poor sickness absence record.

But this is my personal choice.

But if you *need* sick pay and are entitled to it, your employer really should pay if if ANY medical professional (the surgeon or your own GP) signs you off for work as medically unfit to work.

Best wishes.

Hey

Yeah it got sorted and they are paying me full wages, I've never been off a day in the last three years that's why I was so angry but it's all sorted, so I'm just gonna take my time and return to work when I back to normal and they have brought a temp in to cover me, so I won't really be missed. Thank you for your help and wishing me luck xxxxxxxx

Back