• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Immense pain after bypass

BigBoo72

Has anyone else suffered from huge pain below left rib cage?? Started 4 days post bypass and is now intermittent and I am 11 days post op? When it comes along feels like being stabbed - worst pain I think I have ever experienced. Doc did CT scan and full bloods and nothing showed up! Help!

Has anyone else suffered from huge pain below left rib cage?? Started 4 days post bypass and is now intermittent and I am 11 days post op? When it comes along feels like being stabbed - worst pain I think I have ever experienced. Doc did CT scan and full bloods and nothing showed up! Help!

If it persists you need to go back, could be wind from drinking too fast but sounds bit more than that keep pestering if it doesn't settle down. xx:cry:

Could it be your diaphragm being bruised after what they put it thru for keyhole?

Hi

Did yo have a drain fitted on that side, the only pain I had from my surgery was from the drain on my left side and it took about 2 weeks to go away, mind you it was not anything like as bad as you describe.

Is it there all the time or only after eating or drinking.

I agree with Chrisa, keep pestering if it persists, you should not be suffering great pain after this procedure.

Hi Bigboo,
I had an open gastric bypass in July 2012 and have had a persistent pain under my ribs on the left side ever since. I get acute pain there occasionally and wake with the pain every night. I als get gurgling there when I eat.
I used to think this was my pouch but it isnt. At the end of March I saw my bariatric physician who thought the pain was from my spleen and that it had been injured during my bypass as they moved it out of the way.
I wasn't too happy as it was just a theory and mentioned it to my gp who thought it was not my spleen. On examination he could more or less pinpoint a sensitive spot and he was very worried it was from my aorta. Scarily he got me an urgent scan. Thankfully the scan showed that my aorta is fine but revealed that I have lots of small gallstones and a swollen gallbladder. The guy that did the scan said the pain will bee from the gall stones even though the gall bladder is on the right hand side. I'm waiting for the results to get back to my gp to see what he says this week.
It seems really wierd that it's there all the time and on the left hand side but tbh I'm just really relieved that it's not a problem with my aorta.
Did your scan show gallstones?
If I were you I'd keep going back till I get some answers. I wish I hadn't waited so long. I just thought it was part and parcel of the bypass.
Hope you feel better soon
xx

I am 4 days out today and my main pain is from my right rib side. It is my biggest wound so I guess this is due to being the main area for movement.

I can totally understand the feeling of being stabbed, it hurts like anything even when I am on oramorph and fentanyl! I am so hoping it does die down soon, it really is stopping me moving around. Good luck and keep us updated!

Back to surgeon this afternoon - will see what they come up with. Just feel exhausted from pain and if not pain the fear of it starting again.

Bigboo im a bander and that Wots happening to me was fine, then 4 days after stabbing pain on left hand side it's worse when I try too walk etc. it's not to bad when I sit down ? Wonder if it too do with toilet department lol ? Xx

BigBoo I had a stabbing feeling after surgery, at first it was nibbling but if I moved it got worse. After 6 days I went to a&e, was admitted and kept in for 4 days to be told I had 'bruising'. Got home, next day I physically could not sit up, brother and dad had to pull me up out of bed even with me screaming...long story short went by ambulance to hospital and only by luck new surgeon saw me and found I had an abcess in the wound. Eventually it was drained but I have never known pain like it, I thought I was waiting to die!

I hope yours is not so serious BUT if you must keep at the dr's, I was too polite to nag and that was how I ended up home too soon. All the best and keeps uptodate!

Back