• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I've been banded :)

Ohhh Horlicks sounds good!!

Glad you are doing ok, I must admit the bloating and constipation didn't really ease for me until I was on Mushies and had weetabix.

x

Hi Summerband,

Firstly, congratulations on getting banded, hopefully that will be me in August!

Secondly, Big thank you for your very interesting and informative posts. I found them very enjoyable and helpful to read.

Finally, well done on the successful start you have made, you have done brilliantly and you must be delighted!

Best wishes & keep posting :)

John x

Banded post op day 9 diary update

Thanks NT and River.

So I am post op 9, and still love my band. News for the past couple of days mainly involves feeling constipated and pathetic.

tmi WARNING....

The constipation is shocking, and tummy sticking out a mile....luckily by the end of yesterday I managed to go, but it was incredibly painful and seriously I hope to avoid that happening again...cue loads of water drinking....I should probably investigate a remedy from the chemist.

In terms of feeling pathethic..it is mainly the tenderness of the tummy/abs which is tricky, speedbumps and roundabouts are my new nemesis....my core feels really weak and still tender. I honestly thought I would feel better by now. But that is not the worst of it.

My shoulder! ugh. I really wish I had known about the potential nerve pain as a side effect. I have just checked my consent form and nerve damage is listed....shame I hadnt taken it in properly when it was explained to me. It is like a contant sharp pain running from mid collarbone over my shoulder and down past me elbow. It is worse after eating and drinking...and particularly bad in the morning and at night. If I hiccup is it agony. I absolutely hate it. I have done some googling about it, and it seems most people loose the nerve pain within 5 weeks of surgery...please please let me be one of them. It does say that some never loose the nerve pain but that the positive results of the procedure usually outweigh the negative of the pain. :confused:

The other negative I am dealing with can only be described as brain fog....I am stuggling getting my words out through speech...typing is easier (as you can tell) although when I re-read my posts I notice some silly spellings in my typing (leaks not leeks) and some repeated words. I have been driving but I have been going the wrong way. Forgetting the route or ending up other places....not good and also worrying. I assume it is the GA??? but 9 days after the op thought it could not be that.

I spoke the THG over the weekend to say I am not ready to go back to work and could I please have a certificate. I was advised they could not provide the coded one needed for payroll so to go to my GP....that was very disappointing.

So off to my GP I went today. Really glad I did, I got my wounds checked...all ok, and could ask about the nerve pain and the fuzzy head. GP reassured me that it just takes time and that if I needed another week or two off that that would be fine. Not that I want more than I need, I love my job!

Apologies for the ramblings!

I though you were taking a chance when you were thinking of going back to work after 1 week. I ope you get some relief from the trapped wind pain. I have been very lucky and hardly had anything at all......I am loving the weightless. I know what you mean about trying not to go on the scales every day, I get such a buzz out of watching those numbers going down.........

I have also conquered the craving food taste ( not just liquid) my husband asks me if I want to lick his "what ever he is eating" before he eats it. It has now become our party piece.......It gets my taste buds going without actually eating anything...try it, you might like it......lol

Take care my fellow looser........

Hi Mia, I just assumed that a week was about right as it seemed like a small op in theory! But to be honest it has been a much tougher recovery than I expected.

POST OP DAY 10

I have taken it really easy today, stayed at home by myself and pottered around meeting only my own needs....very rare considering my usual role of mum.

The rest has really helped as tonight I am feeling really good and in less pain than ever. I have had a slight epiphany! I was just making dinner for my kids and for ease of life (as I work a 50+ hour week) I am ashamed to say that in the past chicken nuggets and fish fingers have been on the menu probably twice a week, with, sausage and mash, pasta or chicken pie or a roast on the other days. Simple easy family meals with a token vegetable on the plate. Too many carbs, too big a portion and the only saving grace being that the kids are incredibly active and so the kids have always been a perfect healthy size and BMI. But the more I learn about carbs and hidden sugars the more I realise what crap I have been feeding them. I also notice how big their cereal bowls are and that they add sugar and that their once a day snack (e.g. rocky or penguin bar or mr. kipling type thing) is really not ideal.

So....I have just cooked a usual quick tea and substituted the standard potato waffles for a single baby potato whizzed in the microwave to make a mini jacket...(so cute!) and a pile of cucumber rings. I also swapped the ice cream for fresh pineapple. Eldest DD had a plate full of lettuce, cue, peppers, grated carrot,red onion and some cooked chicken with a little bit of low fat salad cream on the side. I was really please to see them devour the lot, much more readily than usual.

So my plan is to feed my kids (and myself when the time comes) real food!

Back to me.....I have bought some Moroccan Chicken soup from Tesco for dinner, it will need a whizz but it looks good. I have been trying to keep the fluids up.

tmi warning.....

Things have now improved considerably with the constipation and daily events are back on track....sorry! With this the bloating and wind has really improved...what a relief...literally.

I am missing my horlicks, as it has been soooo hot. Too hot for horlicks.

But I have enjoyed some cold Exante shakes made with ice and water. My favourite is the vanilla. I can make it into two or three other flavours! I use a teaspoon of Nescafe decaf and a sweetner dissolved in a few teaspoons of warm water, added to the cold water used to make up the shake...think Frapuccino! Also vanilla shake with a sprinkle of cinnamon is divine. Or Vanilla shake made up with a 1/3 Innocent smoothie ( I like strawberry and banana best) to 2/3 water. It is really yummy.

I am excited about Saturday....mushies!

Funnily enough still on food.... I had a bit of a stressful wobble over the weekend and decided to go out to get away from the kids for an hour and ended up in the supermarket, where I would normally buy something naughty like a pack of chocolate brownies and some diet coke to deal with my stress.

So in the supermarket I was trying to deal with myself and I couldnt buy anything to eat! lol! :D So I bought a healthy barbeque dinner for the family and cooked it for them and then ate my own Pea and Ham soup.:rolleyes:

I cant wait for something to chew.:)

Hi all,

POST OP Day 11....3 days to mushies!

I am good. Shoulder pain still driving me mad...but still loving my band. I have been a bit tight tonight and tried Rennie Deflatine as my Windeze has nearly run out. Deflatine is definitely not as good as Windeze and tastes very chalky. Where as Windeze is a bit like a Polo!

My wounds are looking good, scabs and glue almost completely flaked off on the big ones. They are now tingley and itchy.

I have really tried to eat 1000 cals today but no luck. I have had:

Breakfast: Milky Cappucino
Lunch: Morrocan Chicken soup (very nice!)
Tea: Slim Fast
Snack: 1x Horlicks 1x milky Cappucino

My fitness pal say I did just overy 800 so thats better than the last few days when I have been pushing it to get to 600.

I went to the supermarket today and got a few things ready for Saturday...cant wait. I have a kids shepherds pie and some 0% Greek Yoghurt, Fat free natural yoghurt, raspberries to squash into yoghurt, chicken broth that I will not have to blend.

Still love my band..... Best moment of the day....a hug from hubby followed by "Your getting smaller!" Very glad to hear it! I should be!

I am pleased you are feeling good.......somedays I forget I have had an op.......it's great when people start noticing keep up the good work Band Buddie xxx

It did thanks Janey. "Band Buddie" I like that. Shame we didnt bump into eachother at the hospital. I only saw someone who looked like she was there for a boob job or something cosmetic as she probably weighed about 7 stone.

POST OP DAY 12

I woke up this morning and didnt think about food until I was in the shower....trust me that is an improvment! In the past food has been the last thing I think about before I go to sleep and the first thing I think about when I wake up. Not anymore....now I dream of soup!

Broccoli and Stilton today,...it didnt smell great and I have never tried it before, but I gave it a go and really enjoyed it.

The itchy wounds now have a complication. The port wound has a big scab that has been knocked. It oozed a little around post op day 2 or 3 and the blood stayed under the glue. Now the glue around it has flaked off a bit I have managed to get my waist band caught on it and it is hanging off a bit still connected. So I am trying to avoid it pulling off. :(

I got my appointment through for my first fill. on the 13th of August. Perfect as I get back from my holiday on the 11th.

I am going to the Lake District with hubby and kids, and I am already thinking about what I will be eating at the time. I will be on solids for 10 days before I go, but we usually eat out for one meal per day when we are away and have breakfast at the lodge and either lunch or dinner.

So any ideas or tips for what to eat in pubs or bistros whilst I am away and on solids?

It did thanks Janey. "Band Buddie" I like that. Shame we didnt bump into eachother at the hospital. I only saw someone who looked like she was there for a boob job or something cosmetic as she probably weighed about 7 stone.

POST OP DAY 12

I woke up this morning and didnt think about food until I was in the shower....trust me that is an improvment! In the past food has been the last thing I think about before I go to sleep and the first thing I think about when I wake up. Not anymore....now I dream of soup!

Broccoli and Stilton today,...it didnt smell great and I have never tried it before, but I gave it a go and really enjoyed it.

The itchy wounds now have a complication. The port wound has a big scab that has been knocked. It oozed a little around post op day 2 or 3 and the blood stayed under the glue. Now the glue around it has flaked off a bit I have managed to get my waist band caught on it and it is hanging off a bit still connected. So I am trying to avoid it pulling off. :(

I got my appointment through for my first fill. on the 13th of August. Perfect as I get back from my holiday on the 11th.

I am going to the Lake District with hubby and kids, and I am already thinking about what I will be eating at the time. I will be on solids for 10 days before I go, but we usually eat out for one meal per day when we are away and have breakfast at the lodge and either lunch or dinner.

So any ideas or tips for what to eat in pubs or bistros whilst I am away and on solids?

I arrived at the hospital at 11.30 ish I didn't go down until 4 you .........you are coming to my neck of he woods, you will love it.......jacket potatoes, fish pie, shepherd pie, mash, veg and gravy thing like that xxx

I haven't got my appointment yet and go away myself on the 10th for 2 weeks so would prefer it before I go so I don't pile on the weight....

Mia, I love the lakes! I was in theatre at 11.30 am so no chance!

POST OP 14!

Mushies....I have been so looking forward to this stage. Here is what I had:

Breakfast: 1 weetabix and milk (very filling)
Lunch: a couple of table spoons of shepherds pie (yum!)
Dinner: a couple of table spoons of shepherds pie

Snack: 1 slim fast, 100g of fat free cottage cheese.

It was lovely to chew something for the first time in a month! But equally weird feeling it going down and also feeling full after a couple of tablespoons of food...but good!

Post Op 17 (I think)

I have discovered cauliflower cheese and carrot and swede mash. :)

Hi all,

I have been back at work and hence no logging as soo busy.

I am Post op 26 days and love my band! I am doing my last few days of mushies, which I have really enjoyed and have so much more energy than liquids. Of all the various stages I found the 2 weeks post op liquids hardest, I felt weak and had no energy much of the time and I was sore a lot too. The shoulder nerve pain cause by the wind has now almost gone! Thank goodness, and the Windeze I still use may be every 2 or 3 days if it reappears.

Lou questioned my weight loss to date, I should update my info really....

I was 229 the day I started Pre-op diet.

I was 218 on Op day, and today I weighed in at 210. So a loss of 21 lbs in the 5.5 weeks since I started Pre-op diet.

I have not gained at all, weight loss slowed down when I did the 2nd week of liquids. On liquids I really struggled to get the calories in and I think my body went into starvation mode, and clung onto everything. Also when on liquids I was not drinking so much water as I felt sloshy if I did. I was also very constipated.

On mushies I have been able to get about 1000 cals per day and loads of water in and that has kick started the weight loss again and I am doing around half a pound per day.

I am still not doing any routine excercise, apart from generally being active in my home and work life. The exercise is something I am going to start today. I have bough "Slim-in 6" exercise DVD series, which I keep seeing on TV. I got it from Amazon, and I hope it does what it says on the tin. I have to do 30 mins per day, 6 days per week. I am happy to commit to that, and then see how I feel about going to a proper gym when I am a bit slimmer. It is not exercise I hate, but the gym!

I also have been looking at running (couch to 5k) and even cycling. I would love to do some kind of cycling event. So over the summer I am going to look into that too.

I will try to weigh in on Saturdays. By the weigh Myfitnesspal is helping tremendously with the tracking of food, calories and weight....and I love that it is free!

That's fantastic news summerband, u are doing a lot better than me! I'm 34 days post op and only lost 16lbs, am struggling as always feeling hungry.....first fill on Sunday tho so hopefully that will help me. Well done tho to u, just imagine if u keep losing like that by Christmas you will be a proper skinny minny at ur works Christmas party! Lol x

Thanks Janey, I hadnt thought about the Christmas Party! I am still in size 20 at the mo, but my clothes are feeling looser and my body feels a little smaller!

I know that to be in a size 14 I need to be about 10.5 stone for me. So I doubt it will happen by xmas.

I have set myself a mini goal which is to be into the 13's by September, but I dont know if losing another 14lbs in 5 weeks is realistic.

Hmm, I could be wrong then, I am same height as you but last time I was in a size 14 was over 10 years ago! And I am sure I was about 10.5 stone.

I am funny though as I dont think I look as heavy as I am? Or maybe I am in denial! I have always lied to others (those I know in the real world) and always said I am 13 stone, rather than 16!!!, Well 15 as of today.

I read somewhere that most people loose about a dress size per stone. So if I loose 5 stone and 5 dress sizes that does mean a size 10 at 10 stone but I am sure I will be bigger than that. I cant wait to find out.

Thanks Janey, I hadnt thought about the Christmas Party! I am still in size 20 at the mo, but my clothes are feeling looser and my body feels a little smaller!

I know that to be in a size 14 I need to be about 10.5 stone for me. So I doubt it will happen by xmas.

I have set myself a mini goal which is to be into the 13's by September, but I dont know if losing another 14lbs in 5 weeks is realistic.

Am loving the idea of a mini goal, am thinking maybe that's what I need to do. I'm thinking maybe in the 15s for me by Sept....have a fancy dress party to go to on 14th, would love to get a costume that doesn't have to be from the tiny plus size selection! X

Back