• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

January 2017 Surgeries

Hi Louise
Well done on the job - another box ticked. Ca I ask you what your food diary has been like from surgery day to where you are now. I know that eventually the team will tell me what to expect but I am six weeks from surgery and want to be assured I am prepared but all the books I have read and the cook books I have are really dealing with the stage once you are eating as normal a diet as you will ever eat. I know you start with clear fluids but can you give me a rough guide. I feel like blindfolded idiot stumbling around in the dark.

SJ x
don't be silly I was the same as you I'm 8 weeks post op at the minute and I was on nas squash and ice lollys for the first 6 weeks as I suffered severe sickness but I was meant to have at least 2 protein shakes a day and 2 cup of soups but I couldn't tolerate any of that then at 6 weeks was meant to start a Mashable diet which I tried mash with gravy thick tined soup scramble eggs but yet it's only been really the past week and a half that I could tolerate anything as there was something wrong with my digestive system and wasn't working properly so anything I drank or ate would build up in my oesophagus and I would be sick but since they have sorted it out. I have ready brek, rice crispies or half a bacon sandwich on brown bread with lots of sauce. For tea time I have like curry no rice 4 tablespoons or stew but I seem to find beef hard so just have the vegetables, half a tuna sandwich which I found tuna to be my best bet, jacket potato with corned beef but that depends as some days I can eat that some days I can't, turkey mince burger as I found turkey mince agrees with me a lot and for a snack I have these pop crisps that are not baked or fried they are popped and they have protein and low in cals and low in fat. But I only tend to have 1 meal a day as I seem to be full for the rest but if you are starting to go on solids I would say wean yourself so still have your protein shakes and then introduce the food but chew will a couple of times I haven't chewed well and oh my the pain and sickness and I tried a ice cream and never ever again I had a reactive hypo and it was awful as I don't take sugar in any form or in my coffee and it must of held a lot of sugar it made me really poorly. I found McDonald's cheese burger and mr sleeve love each other it's the only food really I don't have any issues with but I missed all the stages really due to severe sickness and reflux. Xx

Hi Louise
Well done on the job - another box ticked. Ca I ask you what your food diary has been like from surgery day to where you are now. I know that eventually the team will tell me what to expect but I am six weeks from surgery and want to be assured I am prepared but all the books I have read and the cook books I have are really dealing with the stage once you are eating as normal a diet as you will ever eat. I know you start with clear fluids but can you give me a rough guide. I feel like blindfolded idiot stumbling around in the dark.

SJ x
After surgery cup of soups and milky coffee and bovril and protein shakes they are all very good and I had tinned soup as don't like cup of soups but I put a quarter tomato soup with 3/4 hot boiling water and added basil I loved that and it was the right consistency as well but I was very naughty and got addicted to kenco 2in1 coffee and drank that for a whole week with nothing else at all as the coffee was filling me up so never drank any water or protein shake or soup just lives of coffee but everyone's tolerance to certain things are different like I haven't had a protein shake since 2 weeks post op and severe sickness knocked me off track till 2 weeks ago really. Once you have had the op they should give you a diet sheet of what you can have and hope all goes well for you xxxx

Wasn't it you who was so excited when you could eat an egg? Anyway, very well done on the job, I hope you really enjoy it.
Yes that was me!!!! Now I can even smell one without being sick and thank you I'm really excited about my new job really looking forward to it now I'm feeling a lot better xx

After surgery cup of soups and milky coffee and bovril and protein shakes they are all very good and I had tinned soup as don't like cup of soups but I put a quarter tomato soup with 3/4 hot boiling water and added basil I loved that and it was the right consistency as well but I was very naughty and got addicted to kenco 2in1 coffee and drank that for a whole week with nothing else at all as the coffee was filling me up so never drank any water or protein shake or soup just lives of coffee but everyone's tolerance to certain things are different like I haven't had a protein shake since 2 weeks post op and severe sickness knocked me off track till 2 weeks ago really. Once you have had the op they should give you a diet sheet of what you can have and hope all goes well for you xxxx

Hi Louise

Thank you for the info. Did you have to have straws to sip fluids through? I shall make some various soups of varying thickness. I was given protein shakes by Addenbrookes as my nutritional state was appalling. They were disgusting. I told the GP they are like sipping flavoured sputum - YUK YUK YUK! I am not a great coffee drinker other tahn a latte which I suppose I will be bale to manage at some point in the future.

SJ xx

Hi Angeline
I have been out of contact for a week with D&V but no weight loss! I am starting my 6 week milk diet as the run in to surgery on 25 April. So so pleased to read that you are on the up and life is more positive for you. You have certainly taken your fair share of difficulties with this process. Go gently with the exercise!

SJ xx
Hiya lovely xxx Sorry you have been poorly and you could have water gain as the body stores water when not well doesnt it xxxxx

Wow that' gone quick hasn't it as it wasn' so long ago we were saying 4 mths lol ...this 6 weeks flies!!!!

My wounds have finally closed over this weekend and my tablet for preparing the stomach each morning has finished so getting to know my body again. Take your time with everything is what I have learnt lol .....Don't rush to get better cause that doesnt work...dont rush into exercise cause it knackers you out (slow but steady)....dont eat to quickly after surgery cause your body has none of it lol !!!! its a steep learning curve but you know your body and after surgery its all change xxxx

Well its a new week for me: No tablets to prepare stomach for food each morning, iron has been cut back to alternative days due to constipation, I can start to take normal multi vits instead of chewable ones and Im happy as larry without pain killers now. So soluble paracetamol has been given the heave ho too!!!! I was starting to think I sounded like a tambourine with all these meds lol xxxxx

My wounds are healed up and no more dressings which is fabulous but I still get itchy skin around the sites so gonna need to keep a eye on them. Hubby laughed casue I was upset last night with scars....I wasnt having any of it when he said he loved me cause I was so hung up on my scars. He was like so supportive and I was so unrational crying over the 34 staple scar over 10" long down my stomach and two holes from infection and the drain. He said lovely things and Ive named my scar as @Thomas the tank engine line with two sink holes' lol !!!!!

Think gonna have to get more positive over this lol xxx

Sorry I haven't been on here been so busy got my self a new job!!! Yay I've officially got in with the NHS I'm so excited. Things are getting there with eating this is my eating so far 2 days good 2 days where I can't eat nothing at all because it hurts or I'm sick and that's what it's like throughout the week ate half a double cheeseburger from McDonald's naughty I no but was so hungry was going dizzy. Meals are still hit and miss where I have 2 spoonfuls and I'm full but I have cereal for breakfast which I can have about 10 teaspoon. Weight is slowing down be lost 4lb last week 4lb this week and I'm very happy with the 4lb losses.. I've gave myself targets to get into the 14st by next month only 4lb away and the month after to get in the 13st mark and so on.. I can't stomach another egg or soup but I've found some pop crisps and have protein in and only 98 calls per pack and they are delicious so been having 3 packs a week and especially on a bad day tend to be able to eat them.. hope your well @Angeline and @Sweetcheeks84. How are you both getting on and sorry for the essay aha xxxx
Wow that's amazing well done on your new job hun.
Sounds like our getting there slowly with food finally, although there are some hiccups your managing better than you were.
Alls OK with me I'm seeing Mr Jain this Thursday completely pooping my pants as last time I met him he wasn't that nice.
Iv lost weight but not much more than last time hoping he will give me a date for my op if not I'm going to go mad being home all the time. Iv stepped up my walking although ii struggle oo walk alone I have been walking a bit more alone my anxiety makes it hard but even if its around the block I'm glad to get out.
It must feel amazing oo go shopping and fit into things I haven't been shopping for years it really upsets me as I can't fit in anything unless its in evens which is so expensive.
I'm getting nervous now but I want it done asap so I can start to live. X

Hi Sweetcheeks
I have been off the radar for a week as I have been ill. Major D&V but by my scales not a lb lost. However I am now in the last day before I start my 6 weeks of milk diet before my op. I got a letter last week from L&D to see Bariatric Nurse 1 week before my op date so I assume if I turn up without having lost the 7.5 kg the surgeon demands my op will be put back. The stress of a major op coming up, the 6 weeks of milk diet and the possibility that it may all come to nothing is a big anxiety. I now we have to be able to stick to the diet and use the surgery properly but I am finding losing weight very difficult. I am so limited to foods I can eat that for me a small loss is a big win - but that is not the way the team see it.

What day do you see Mr Jain? My fingers are crossed for you.
SJ x
Oh no I hope your feeling better hun. Its so much pressure to make you follow it for so long and want so much from you.
Take each day as it comes try not to focus on everything that's going on just focus on yourself and each day. I understand the anxiety im not sleeping as I'm so worried how Mr jain will be with me. I really want a date and to move forward this has been going on so long.
Can i did you lose the 5% they ask you for?you did don't you? Sorry I have a memory like a fish lol
I have only lost the 5% I struggle to lose and it goes straight back on. So iv been eating salad with lemon juice boiled eggs grapefruit meat n salad I have literally been so good yet its not coming off much. Plus I'm due on Tuesday and usually gain 3-5lbs when due on so I'm totally freaking out about Thursday. But what will be will be.
Yes its Thursday this Thursday 16th at 10.30am I will keep you posted I just hope I get a date. Xx

Hi my lovely ladies x
I'm so pleased u all doing so well and we gonna overcome all difficulties on our paths we are stong x we need to stay positive that's my attitude for today and tomorrow when im having my surgery. PLEASE KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED FOR ME XXX

@Anna@88 hope it goes well for you tomorrow, good luck!

@Angeline so glad to hear that you are finally healing and able to start your journey proper! You husband sounds lovely Pleased that you are able to reduce your meds too.

Wow that's amazing well done on your new job hun.
Sounds like our getting there slowly with food finally, although there are some hiccups your managing better than you were.
Alls OK with me I'm seeing Mr Jain this Thursday completely pooping my pants as last time I met him he wasn't that nice.
Iv lost weight but not much more than last time hoping he will give me a date for my op if not I'm going to go mad being home all the time. Iv stepped up my walking although ii struggle oo walk alone I have been walking a bit more alone my anxiety makes it hard but even if its around the block I'm glad to get out.
It must feel amazing oo go shopping and fit into things I haven't been shopping for years it really upsets me as I can't fit in anything unless its in evens which is so expensive.
I'm getting nervous now but I want it done asap so I can start to live. X
Im proud of you increasing walking and getting out as anxiety is not a nice condition to suffer from. Keep the positive Mental Attitude going hunny and were right behind you xxx

Hi my lovely ladies x
I'm so pleased u all doing so well and we gonna overcome all difficulties on our paths we are stong x we need to stay positive that's my attitude for today and tomorrow when im having my surgery. PLEASE KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED FOR ME XXX

Wow your waiting time has flown...prob not for you lol xxxx Im so excited for you xxxxxx

Hi my lovely ladies x
Good luck for your op sending massive hugs and healing your way xx

Well its a new week for me: No tablets to prepare stomach for food each morning, iron has been cut back to alternative days due to constipation, I can start to take normal multi vits instead of chewable ones and Im happy as larry without pain killers now. So soluble paracetamol has been given the heave ho too!!!! I was starting to think I sounded like a tambourine with all these meds lol xxxxx

My wounds are healed up and no more dressings which is fabulous but I still get itchy skin around the sites so gonna need to keep a eye on them. Hubby laughed casue I was upset last night with scars....I wasnt having any of it when he said he loved me cause I was so hung up on my scars. He was like so supportive and I was so unrational crying over the 34 staple scar over 10" long down my stomach and two holes from infection and the drain. He said lovely things and Ive named my scar as @Thomas the tank engine line with two sink holes' lol !!!!!

Your truly inspirational you really are!
So so happy your healing well and now can focus on life and what the future will bring. Thomas sounds like a great name for your scar when you skin has completely healed try bio oil to reduce redness it really works and feels lovely.
Now its time to get out and enjoy the sunshine and keep smiling.
Iv lost more weight as been on a strict diet all week in prep for seeing my surgeon Thursday so nervous but iv done all the have asked. I'm not sure how I will react if I don't get a date I'm at the end of the road with being home alone all the time.
But we will see fingers crossed x

It's great to hear you've gone past the worst now, you've really been through the mill, love the sound of Thomas And hubby sounds lovely, we can be completely irrational with our thoughts at times can't we, The only way is up now, apart from the scales which will be going down xx

Thanks u x it did fly x im at arrivials all checked in waiting for my bed now x my BP it's perfect so now I can relax in have nothing to worry x just wait x
Good Luck today and be kind to yourself after the operation xxxx

Back