• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

''Just accept you're not having surgery and lose the weight yourself''

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
So I was told today by a gp I've never met before, who knows nothing about me other than what she has read on the screen in a couple of mins before seeing me.
I'm due to see Mr Giles at the hospital tomorrow and will talk to him about appealing the pct's decision. MY bmi is 49.9 and they've decided it has to be 50. I only went to the gp to get a prescription for my anti depressants. It's been a hell of a week with my terminally ill dad back in hospital due to horrendous pain. I'm in some discomfort myself due to knee and foot pain and wanted to ask the gp about that. She just said it's an 18 month wait for a referral to an nhs podiatrist (spelling?) so there's no point in her opinion. Then she started lecturing me about which foods to eat and what exercise to do.
I completely embarrassed myself by bursting into tears, at which point she couldn't wait to get rid of me.
I walked out of the surgery, started crossing the road and nearly got mowed down by a taxi which was going far too fast. The driver shouted ''oi fat lass it's a road'' out the window which pretty just tipped me over the edge so I cried all the way home on the bus.

However, I have a beautiful big dog at home who licked my face, wagged his tail and cheered me up again. He loves his mum however fat or miserable she is.

They refused you due to one point on the BMI scale? That is pathetic (on their part). Would they reconsider you if you gained 7lbs? Not a good example they are setting is it!
I am angry on your behalf...sending massive hugs xxx
Steph xx

First, make a complaint to the practice manager about that GP. She had no right to treat you that way. You have a right to treatment and it isn't her call whether you need to be seen for your foot pain. Bloody cow!

Secondly, if I were that close to the BMI, I would gain a few pounds.

I feel so sad and sorry and angry too on your behalf. That GP sounds like a complete nightmare and should have some compulsory re-training.

Sending huge hugs and prayers for your meeting tomorrow.

Grace xxx

Awww. What a bad day you have had love, its disgusting to have a GP that doesnt understand what you are going through.

When i think how helpful my GP was, infact it was her that suggested wls to me.

That horrible man who shouted out to you will get his cumupance, the fool. I believe strongly in karma.

Just to let you know im thinking of you and hoping and praying that you get your wls as you deserve it. Huggs xxx

What is wrong with some people. As if you havn't tried to lose weight on your own before! Do they really think you havn't tried EVERY diet under the sun and are using a the bypass as a first option?
As for the ridiculous BMI figure that is just encouraging people to gain weight to meet the criteria.

I really really hope you are feeling better now you are home withyour beautiful dog - no matter how we feel they are always there for us.

Take care.

Ah hun I am so sorry you had to deal with such an uncaring "proffesional", You are not alone, I was once told by a Doctor that I should only eat Bread & water??? Clearly she had mistaken me for a cellmate!!
I know its hard but stay strong flower .....sending you hugs xxx

I too have had issues with unsupportive G.Ps ...
It took a good friend on here to point out that they have no right to treat you like this to give me the strength to fight it...
Somehow you need to pull some strength from this and start fighting hun...
One point from criteria is a a good case for arguing...!!
My thoughts are with you...keep fighting...you will get this x x

Im really sorry you have had such a horrible day! When the day has been that bad it can only get better hun, as your lovely dog showed you when you got home :D I think you should appeal the decision and whilst your at put a few pounds on accidentally on purpose! (I cant believe that they turned you down of less than 1 BMI point!) (HUGS) XX

Aww... I am so sorry to hear of you awful distress... firstly, I send my love to your dear Dad and he is in my thoughts.

I would either feel like changing my GP or tackling this situation with my MP. I don't know how much good it would do but your long term health is at stake...

Lisa and Vron have both successfully written letters of appeal and won through...

I am so sorry and I know what you mean about an adoring and loyal pet... that can make you feel better... but please hang onto us and don't lose touch.

Please, never say never.

Love and hugs xxx

I'm hoping I may have gained a few pounds when they weigh me tomorrow. What annoys me with the gp is that there are so many of them at my practice and you get such varied advice from them. One told me exercise was the way to lose weight, another said Orlistat, then there was the one who said only surgery would work for me.

sending you hugs
that was out of order on that GP's part :(

I'd be quoting the doc who said that surgery was the only one that would work for you... it's sufferance... I know when you are in your position, but please don't give up hope and never go away... love and hugs xxx

How dare the doc speak to you like that they think they are gods and cant wait to get you out of the room.Txxxxxs!Get a sock fill it with rice tie a knot in it and shove it down your drawers!They wont know and it may tip you over the bmi limit.I know its cheating but for gods sake that could be the difference between surgery or not for you.Dry your eyes hun have a big tea/supper/breakfast and dont do any number twos!We will beat the bxsxaxds!!! Maz x

Oh sweetie :(

What a nasty, uncaring GP. And as for the taxi driver, well, I can't say on here what I think of him because I'd be kicked off :(

Easier said than done but try to put them both out of your mind hun. Treat yourself tonight to a nice hot bath and relax.

I agree with other comments (what the ??????) Its a point. I know its not the right answer but i fully understand why people then go on to gain weight to hit the BMI. Sending you a huge huge hug and I am thinking of you. XXXXX

Good luck with the weigh in tomorrow wear heavy clothes. Denim skirts are a good one with a mobile phone in one pocket and change for parking in 10p's in another pocket (anything you would usually keep in a pocket) bags of rice in your bra might be an idea as well.

As for Taxi drives well what can I say? I ain't seen one that looks like a male model or even a thin one yet and don't get me started on what brains they haven't got

Sorry to any taxi drivers on here I know we've got at least one;)

That's the spirit Angel... try and turn yourself around and the next time you get an insult have your answer ready... I know what mine would be and it wouldn't be repeatable.

One doc may have documented what they said to you, if not, remind them and go for it... I would either be documenting a report or challenging the GP and going over the head of who you have seen today.

As we see all of the time... even post op... it's very much a case of 'fight the good fight' to get things sorted and I wouldn't go down without a heck of a struggle love... give it another go and never say never.... they'll get that fed up in the end they'll be glad to send you for it!

Hang onto us and don't get disheartened.

Love and hugs xxx

thanks guys. you do make me chuckle. bags of rice in my bra lol. great tip! Just ridiculous that we have to go to these lengths.

Back