• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Long termers. Do u still bother with vitamins. Etc.

happy days

26 months post op and never really bother with multi vits, calcium etc. all bloods come back fine. Any body else still taking them.

Keep taking them
Your bloods may seem fine at the moment but for how long?
Mine vit D dropped after 2 1/2 years out
It is a lot harder to bring up depleted levels than to keep topped them up
You don't usually find out you are deficient in vitamins until they cause problems and then it might be too later for a quick fix

Not as far out as you but personally I am absolutely religious with them.

One thing my dietician said was that by the time the deficiency how's up in bloods the damage is already done.

I used to be religious with them in the first year And they have slowly dwindled off. Now the only thing I have is my b12 when I remember.

I used to be religious with them in the first year And they have slowly dwindled off. Now the only thing I have is my b12 when I remember.

Is that a conscious choice or just forgetting? Mine are part of my routine so I can't see myself forgetting if that makes sense. I usually mark b12 on my calendar.

Is that a conscious choice or just forgetting? Mine are part of my routine so I can't see myself forgetting if that makes sense. I usually mark b12 on my calendar.

If iam honest I just think I will take them later. But later never comes.

Ah okay. Is it possible to make a point in your routine when you do? I take my iron, a-z and antihistamines with a cup of tea in the morning. Than have my calcium when I get to work. I always need my cup of tea in the morning and its easy enough to fill a plastic cup with water and mix it in.

26 months post op and never really bother with multi vits, calcium etc. all bloods come back fine. Any body else still taking them.

same here "sheepishly holds hand up in the corner"... I was really good for about the 1st 12 months but I just got more & more forgetful plus my gp wouldn't give me 3 months supply at a time so it was costing a fortune (lost free prescriptions once diabetes resolved) plus I didn't enjoy the side effects of the iron tablets (constipation & black poo)...
now I know the reaction is going to be shock & horror but this is my experience & whilst i dont advocate ignoring the docs advice, I'm just being honest before I get shot... lol ;)
Ps I do get my b12 done every 3 months though so my halo is sort of there...

I'm sorry if it seems I've been judgemental - I really don't mean to be. Was just offering suggestions as that seemed to be what HD was asking for.

I'm sorry if it seems I've been judgemental - I really don't mean to be. Was just offering suggestions as that seemed to be what HD was asking for.

Oh no that wasn't what I was saying yvessa... just my random sense of humour!!! Whoops!!! I know I'm being naughty in not following the rules & was just admitting I know I'm in the wrong... tee hee :) xx

well, I try n take them all without fail, the only thing I didnt doo correctly was the adcal I have only evre taken 1 a day because the tea time one I used to forget. The other one I take on a morning with my vitamin my iron and my antihistamine. I have onkly not taken them if I have gone a way and missed them for 1 day. But otherwise take them every day. I just buy iron over the counter and the vitamins both for bout £5 will get you 3 months supply Adcal is prescription as are my antihistamines youcant buy them prescription only so not too bad. xx

I still take mine religiously. My thyroxin as I get up, then with or after my breakfast my mebeverine, omeprazole, iron, multi vitamins, glucosamine, calcichew, Prozac & zinc. With the exception of the multi vitamins & glucosamine all are on prescription but due to my underactive thyroid all are exempt from charges. Docs never offered the multivitamins on prescription despite my hinting perhaps they could so the non prescription meds I get from health span which I order online as the more you buy the cheaper they are so cover hubby & I at the same time.
Some are meant according to the directives to be taken at night but I take them all in the morning so nothings forgotten & have cleared this with the GP & dietitian.
Some days I make take them later than others if I've over slept at the weekend or on holiday but I take them religiously its now part of the daily routine.

same here "sheepishly holds hand up in the corner"... I was really good for about the 1st 12 months but I just got more & more forgetful plus my gp wouldn't give me 3 months supply at a time so it was costing a fortune (lost free prescriptions once diabetes resolved) plus I didn't enjoy the side effects of the iron tablets (constipation & black poo)...
now I know the reaction is going to be shock & horror but this is my experience & whilst i dont advocate ignoring the docs advice, I'm just being honest before I get shot... lol ;)
Ps I do get my b12 done every 3 months though so my halo is sort of there...

Think I am the only person in the world who gets the runs off iron tablets. Hence why iam not a big fan. I do try and keep up to date with b12 but it's usally about 4-5 weeks late.
The rest just get forgot about. But I would say my full diet consists of meat and cheese so should be getting plenty of nutrients either way.

Have your triesspatone hd? Shelbell mentioned she had trouble with iron and that it was better for her.

Back