• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Long termers - Lets get talking

Hey Cheryl after my low zinc & iron results I was prescribed some effervescent zinc tablets one a day as well as an extra 200mg iron tablet once a day. Think the systems getting used to them as I'm struggling with sleep, memory & energy again.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Oh dear , that's not good Penny

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using WLSurgery

Hey Cheryl after my low zinc & iron results I was prescribed some effervescent zinc tablets one a day as well as an extra 200mg iron tablet once a day. Think the systems getting used to them as I'm struggling with sleep, memory & energy again.

What kind of iron tablets have they recommended
I was told to take Ferrous Sulphate 200mg

On prescription ferrous sulphate 200mg once a day. As well as those within the multi vitamins!

Not sure if this would be suitable but I don't tolerate ferrous sulphate well. I am vegetarian so a good iron supplement is essential. I take Spa-Tone liquid iron (naturally-occurring) in single-dose sachets. Costs about £6.00 on amazon for 28 days' supply. For a few quid more you can buy Spa-Tone with added vitamin C, which is said to further increase absorption.

I always take a vit c tablet with my iron tablet as it helps iron absorption or have a drink of orange juice to take it with.
Also try and avoid drinking milk for an hour either side as this can stop any absorption
HTH

Thanks girls , still waiting a script . I don't really drink milk any more , same as I used to love it

Great thread! Reading whilst nursing my poorly one year old!
I'm due a blood test next month, surgeon prescribed 2x iron tabs per day but for obvious reasons had to cut down so will be interesting to see what the effects have been. I feel pretty much ok though so hope all is good. Anyone else also having calcium? I really struggle to take all the meds!
It's a long rd!

All ferrous tablets are sugar coated, and post bypass coated tablets aren't absorbed the same way. You can get sugar free ferrous fumerate on prescription which is a lot more gentle on your tum.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thanks , I'll bear that in mind x

Trundling on! I don't come on very often tbh, just now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

You know I was thinking tonite,
Perhaps one of the reasons long termers don't stay around is due to that "honeymoon" period going...
In my first year or so everything was wonderful I was on such a high!!
Like many on this site when your newly bypassed and the weight drops off.
But then reality sets in after a couple of years.....just a thought.

I think as well there is a lot of judgement in the wls world and some people think their way is the only way. And often if you get into your own groove it can be hard to deal with others who preach their way.

I think as well there is a lot of judgement in the wls world and some people think their way is the only way. And often if you get into your own groove it can be hard to deal with others who preach their way.

I agree yvessa,

At times I've felt I can't always post on here what I really feel like/and do incase of the backlash.

I do still find people who post about alcohol a week post op and justify eating rubbish get on my nerves. But accept that for some counting cals etc is the way forward, not for me though. But the majority of people here are sensible, struggling with food addiction people who recognise the mistakes they make and choose to get it right next time.

I think as well when you are two-three years out maybe its not on your mind as much - ie you don't need that level of involvement because so much of it has become habit?

I do still find people who post about alcohol a week post op and justify eating rubbish get on my nerves. But accept that for some counting cals etc is the way forward, not for me though. But the majority of people here are sensible, struggling with food addiction people who recognise the mistakes they make and choose to get it right next time.

I think as well when you are two-three years out maybe its not on your mind as much - ie you don't need that level of involvement because so much of it has become habit?

Maybe not needing as much involvement as it does become 'normal'
And I also choose not to calorie count and use scales,
I use my clothes as my guide.

I would like to stick around and give back some of the support I received.

Back