• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

May Surgery anyone?

hi ya Caraline,
I thought I could msg on here like msn type thing but I dont know where it would be. So yes. 1st May pre op. Hope to see you there. I totally forgot about the weight targets. I know I lost the first one but not sure what the next target was. Just going through my letters now to see if i can find anything! Else I will have to phone them too!
once I get enough posts I will be able to post a photo then you can say hi if you like at Sunderland. Have they said ought to you about the vitamin tablet? Or do we need to search for a liquid vitamin? We just brought a known brand of a to z vits. Its really nice to know there will be another lady going through this same time. I will be on ward C31 according to the letter. Roll on next Wednesday ;)

That is lovely that you and your husband are working together Kat :) and the rewards seem to be really working well for you. I haven't thought about doing something like that before - something to think about :) My husband would like to do the 2 week pre op diet with me (high protein, low carb) which I think is lovely - although he doesn't need to loose weight at all!
I want to be as prepared as possible so I've been reading everything and anything about the surgery, my surgeon, pre op, post op etc, however this has possibly been a bad move on my part as I have been panicking lots! But I like to be 'in the know' as much as possible.
What I would like to do this weekend is plan how to change my diet pre op to be as close to the post op sleeve diet as possible so I'm preparing myself.

xx

Lots of May surgeries here that's fab! We can use this thread to share our journeys and experiences if you want to. Looks like there is a mix of Bypass, Sleeve and Bands going on so it should be interesting to help each other along the way!
Hi triedeverything,
Yes the milk diet we have to do that for 10 days prior to op but at my last appointment I was told 2 weeks before i have to start it. I think there are drinks that have the essentials in. Does your hospital provide you with a dietician too? You could maybe give them a call on Monday. Yes we can all help each other as we will all be newbie post ops by the end of May ;)

You sound very like me! I have read everything and given myself some scares with the loose skin issue on the net! That is really lovely of your hubby wanting to do the pre op diet with you. Mine is at work today and I made his packed lunch and swapped his 3 jaffa cakes to fresh strawberries. He just phoned to say he has been robbed and knows it wasnt me as I hate jaffa cakes. ;) He still had his sandwhiches fruit and yogurt. Its been a year getting to this stage where our household is ready for the life changes and I still think it will be a huge shock to the system. For the last year I have got more and more into the slow cooking and fish dishes. So that the basics solids will be smaller version of what i have been cooking. I figured I will cook for hubby and I will have my measure off it. My mum got me some little stack of baby food pots that are freezer, dishwasher and microwave proof from the pound shop. They hold about a cup of water so figured that would be my meal size after op once on solids. I guess it is like studying for exams its all in the prep work for me to relax a little and my best chance of sticking to it. I am scheduled for the bypass but Mr Mahawah said he wont know until he is in there whether he can perform that or it might have to be a sleeve if I am too badly scarred from all the operations for endometroisis and other lovelys I grew the past few decades. He is sure he will do one of the other though. ;) I found giving up the alcohol harder than I thought. It was more when we had company and I was on the water. Or at family celebrations I was on water. I was too scared to have the j20 incase of calories. I always could go for months and months without wine but on holiday we do drink a bottle of wine between us most evenings. Its once a year but I think I am worried that I will never be able to have another cocktail in the pool or glass of champagne at Christmas. I thought maybe by September I may be able to have a little glass of champagne on holiday. I am hoping that by post op all i will have to contend with is the diet. As tried to get rid of all other diet bad habits. I am now writing a list of questions for my pre op. My mind goes blank as soon as we get into the hospital carpark. Well I have babbled on another sign of my nerves. Hopefully by June we will be listing our post op weights ;)

You are definitely well prepared Kat. You have also showed commitment pre op which is great!!
I forget all my questions too, they always say at the end of the consultation 'have you got any questions' - I always say no then I get home and I have a million!! :(
Are you having the op done privately or NHS?
One thing I need to sort out now is grazing, I am a grazer 100% - not good but I am changing and replacing bad for good. I also don't eat regular meals so I am changing that too - which helps with not grazing so much. xx

Oh wow there is lots of May Ops. Good Luck everyone. xx

Hiya hun, I think we just get the vitamin tablets, I don't no myself which ones would be best I guess the A to Z vitamins are the right ones. I have just had a look at my letter and I am in the same ward C31. I have to go in at 2.30pm

Yes I am having the op on the NHS. My consultant wanted refer me four plus years ago. I decided to try a diet club again first but he was right and every time I was laid up with broken bones in my legs again I gained weight. I then caved and said refer me. It wasnt that I didnt want it. It was that I have had several operations for other health problems and the weight went on with those problems and comfort eating that I wanted to be sure in my head that it was the right move for me and that I was ready. I do over think things and then think some more! I have been very lucky as I was sent to Sunderland and the team there is very good. I have had a lot of help and they are behind me. I have also been to 12 months pain management clinic so that mentally I am prepared and in control in other aspects of my health. I also quit smoking years ago now but that was my first step to getting healthy and doing everything in my power to be healthier. The legs will still break but at the end of the day at least if I lose weight they can pick me up off the floor more easily! One day ;) My husband and I have discussed the possibilty of going private for any repairs to me that might be needed down the line. We discussed private for the bypass but as I have had several operations on my abdomen due Endometroisis, polyps, growths etc so we were advised against private and to accept the nhs. I know its a long time journey but it has given me the time to get my head on straight. Plus I had to get family behind me too. It was no good if I was doing all this and everyone around me was eating the worse possible food day in day out. I would eventually snap at them or worse be tempted to eat it and then snap at them. ;p

I applied but never heard back and to be honest I couldn't wait any longer.
You must have a hard time with all the broken bones hun! Sounds like you've got great support which is so good to have.
Are you telling everyone about your surgery or are you keeping it on the down low? xx

I'm a may op, fly out on may 5th to Czech Rep. And op on Tuesday 5th, I'm on my second week pre op, following a vlc diet with slim fast shakes and a mega small meal at night. So far I have lost 5lbs and I'm chuffed with that. Felt quite sick today and tired but no worries with it, looking forward :)

hi everyone . due to have gastric bypass on 21st may at L&D by mr jain. had endescope this week and the other one and they said all ok apart from a bit of acid. due to have pre op on tues this week. am brickin it as i have put on some weight since 5% loss. but i know this will come off with milk diet again. anyone else been in this situation? what do you get told at last appt? have to be in hospital at 7.30 in morning on day of op and hospital is 3hrs away!! will be a long day. good luck everyone. will look out for this tread through may.

I'm at the L&D too mywishes with Mr Jain. However I am having a sleeve and I'm having it done privately. Although it is the same hospital with the same surgeon pre op procedures seem to be different. I have not been advised that I have to have an endoscopy nor do I have to loose the 5%. I'm going in on May 21st for my pre op bloods and ECG. I also have to go in a couple of weeks before my op to see the dietician again to go over the pre and post op diet again. x

i think they are strict with us nhs patients as we are being funded and i expect they want to make sure it is money well spent so we have to jump through hoops to prove it. i feel i have jumped so far but am worried about the small weight gain!!

Angela

I'm so excited for all of you!
I was offered a cancellation for today, but I'm a teacher and we're gearing up for SATs so I said I'm not available until any time after the 27th May. Apparently there's not much of a waiting list for sleeves at the moment so hopefully I'll be a May date too!
Random question: are you packing nighties or pjs for hospital?

I'm sat 4 may at st Richards for a band!

1st day of milk diet today... Went well in the fact I haven't eaten but not so well in the fact I've probably only had half the amount of milk I'm meant to have! :-/

Good luck everyone xx

Hi Lisa, I'm taking pj's - modesty reasons really, I think the following day after surgery they come and check your incisions, so there could possibly be a bit more on show with a nightie. However, everyone is different :) x

Hi Bex, keep going hun :) You can do it :) x

I'm taking nighties and big knickers, well there all big at the moment lol. I should really start thinking about what I am going to take and get a list written so I don't forget anything.

I don't know what to take. I'll probably take both. I thought nightie, incase the elastic on the pjs aggravated the incisions, but I don't fancy flashing my bits every time they need checking either!!
Then there's the whole 'what if I pump while I'm asleep and wake people up?' dilemma ha!
Xx

Ha ha, ooh, I never thought of that, and my snoring, I think blowing off is a done deal with the amount of air they put in :-0

Back