• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Ms R Simpkin's Post-Op Diary!

Yeah, the protein shakes are good, but if you're going to get the powders, get a couple Of different flavours because drinking the same one everyday gets SO boring and sickly!

Or, if you're planning on getting the premixed ones, definitely check the sugar content in them. I bought a latte flavoured one the other day that had 20g protein in, but I never thought to check the sugar until after I got home... 36g of sugar!! Shocking!

Maybe try phoning your dietician to explain that you can't stomach the texture of the purées. She might have an idea of something else to try instead? It can't hurt to ask :D

Just sipping on my first coffee since I came out of hospital and oh my god, it's divine! I've always been quite a coffee junkie (Mmm, Costa!), but after having a cup of tea that made me feel quite ill last week, I've avoided trying coffee... until now :D

I used to have a big, strong, creamy coffee most mornings, with a glug of carnation cream and two sugars! So this morning I made it with a tablespoon of light evaporated milk and one sweetener. And it's just as creamy and yummy! Not quite as sweet, but I don't seem to be able to handle overly sweet things since my op, so one sweetener is perfect!

I may have to invest in some decaf coffee, though. I can see this becoming a regular thing and my booklet says to avoid caffeine. It doesn't say why, but they offered me a coffee the morning after surgery, so I assume it won't hurt occasionally :D

So, today I'm having kedgeree slop ;)
Well, not really. It's just some leftover rice from Mr's curry with a tin of mackerel in curry sauce blended together. It tastes just like kedgeree, though. SO yummy!

image-3515182227.jpg

I'm loving the new choice I flavours! I've discovered you can pretty much purée anything if you add enough liquid. I've been fancying chicken nuggets recently so I just whipped a few up, chucked them in the blender with some chicken stock and whoosh.

I haven't tried it yet, but it smells just like chicken nuggets, so I have high hopes!

Chicken nuggets?! You're playing with fire there eating blended junk, be careful!

Haha. Don't worry, they're homemade! ;)

They're basically just chunks of chicken thigh meat (moister than breast), dipped in egg and then into a mixture of breadcrumbs and seasoned flour, and baked in the oven.
Oh, and sprayed all over with plenty of Fry Light before they go in, so they crisp up in the oven (not that it makes any difference once it's puréed! lol).

I used to make them pre-op, except I used to fry them! :eek:

That's a relief, I had visions of blended burgers next! How's your stomach coping with wheat, rice etc? I've had 2 pieces of bread in the past 4 months and no pasta or rice, don't miss it at all but have had a few crackers along the way with protein toppings.

Haha! Oh dear! I did hear about one woman who actually attempted to blend down a McDonalds hamburger during her purée stage. The only reason she didn't is because it wasn't moist enough, and she couldn't think of any liquid to add that wouldn't mask the taste of the burger!

Really makes you wonder about some people. I'm guessing she probably didn't end up losing much after her op :/

So far I haven't found much that has upset my stomach. The kedgeree stuff I had earlier with rice in went down well. No problems at all. The only thing I have had trouble with is plain water (go figure :p), tea and some NAS Vimto squash I had at my nieces house (all she had that wasn't carbonated). I think maybe she made it a bit too strong, I only have my squash pretty weak.

I have only started on purées yesterday, and only having one puréed meal per day so far (mostly because it's kept me full for so long!). I'll keep updated with the more food I try and if I have a bad reaction to anything.

I really do need to start getting more protein in. I was doing pretty well, got it up to around 50g a day for a few days, with the help of my protein shakes. But I quickly got sick of the same one every day!

I think I need to take a trip to Holland & Barrett and get a couple more flavours, and a plain one to add to smoothies, maybe. And make up some more meat-based meals!

Sorry, you've got me thinking now ;) lol

I've just got a delivery from My Protein the powders are great and there's 250g packets for £5 in heaps of flavours so you can mix and match, they're low calorie and sugar and can be mixed with water or milk, I'd recommend. They also do these strange protein crisps, the texture is like quavers but they're made out of protein powder and there's 15g in one little packet!

Ooh! I'll definitely go and have a look, that sounds like a pretty good deal! And I don't even have to leave the house ;) Haha. Thanks!

Just sipping on my first coffee since I came out of hospital and oh my god, it's divine! I've always been quite a coffee junkie (Mmm, Costa!), but after having a cup of tea that made me feel quite ill last week, I've avoided trying coffee... until now :D I used to have a big, strong, creamy coffee most mornings, with a glug of carnation cream and two sugars! So this morning I made it with a tablespoon of light evaporated milk and one sweetener. And it's just as creamy and yummy! Not quite as sweet, but I don't seem to be able to handle overly sweet things since my op, so one sweetener is perfect! I may have to invest in some decaf coffee, though. I can see this becoming a regular thing and my booklet says to avoid caffeine. It doesn't say why, but they offered me a coffee the morning after surgery, so I assume it won't hurt occasionally :D
I love Koster... Skinny sugarfree caramel lattes are my fave XXX

I think it's just for the first few weeks. My booklet only mentions the first two stages: the liquid and the purée stages. It doesn't state to rule caffeine out completely, but to opt for decaf when possible.

I'm just sat watching DS9 (gotta love Star Trek) with a tidgy bowl of egg mayo mashed to within an inch of its life! Haha.

I made it with half light mayo and half greek yoghurt, to lower the fat and increase the protein. It's very yummy!

Today, for lunch, I have puréed minced beef, onions and gravy, with a teeny bit of (very sloppy!) mashed potato. Very yummy!

I only managed to eat about half of the tidgy bowl of egg mayo I had last night. Protein is filling! Haha. So, on with yesterday's food...

Day 13

B: 50g Fromage Frais
L: Kedgeree purée
D: 1/4 cup Egg Mayo
F: 1.25 litres NAS, 1 mug Coffee

I've worked out the little pots I use to freeze my meals are exactly 1 cup, and I fill them approx 2/3 - 3/4 full. So I now know that I'm eating roughly that much per meal and feeling plenty satisfied!

I know the egg mayo made myself was roughly half a cup, so by only eating half of what I'd made, that must mean I ate 1/4 cup full. That's even less than I thought! lol

I got bored of "resting" (lounging around the house), so I gave myself a manicure! Haha.

image-3684889058.jpg

image-868696678.jpg

I'm not obsessed with moustaches, I swear!

A bit of Stat Trek before bed and I'll update my food for today while I'm at it...

Day 14

B: Coffee w/ Splenda (wasn't hungry, forgot to actually eat! Oops!)
L: Minced Beef, onions & gravy, and mash
D: Approx 50g Cottage Cheese
F: 1 litre NAS, 200ml Tropical juice

I weighted out about 80g of cottage cheese, but only ate a little more than half if it. It's going to take a while to learn just how much I can actually eat. I ended up leaving some mash at lunchtime too (I made sure to eat my protein first ;))

I don't know if I'm not eating enough. I know that sounds silly, considering I've just had a gastric bypass, but my surgeon's advice says I should be eating 3 meals and 2 snacks per day, and aiming to be eating 600 calories.

I'm currently usually eating 2 main meals and maybe a bit of fromage frais or yoghurt if I'm lucky. And only eating around 300-400 calories!

Am I just looking too much into it at this early stage? I do feel very satisfied on the amount I'm eating, but it just got me wondering as I was rereading through my hospital notes.

Last edited:
Well, lunch was pretty disappointing today. I was going to have 1/2 a mashed avocado, but two teaspoons in I realised it was very underripe and bitter. So, in the bin that went!

Then I decided I'd have a Danio yoghurt instead. After a teaspoon of that, I stirred it only to realise I'd bought the wrong ones... I had the ones with a layer of fruit at the bottom (seeds and all!). So that went in the bin too!

In the end I just had a Laughing Cow triangle and left it at that. Haha.

At least I had a yummy breakfast; a Weetabix made nice and sloppy with 100ml milk and about 1/3 of a banana mashed in for sweetness. Sooo delish!

Still haven't had any dinner yet, but I may have some chicken and gravy purée in a bit.

did you find the weetabix ok? I tried one this morning but it didn't feel right going down... Ive been a bit blocks duo all day actually!

as for the calories, i would say just do what you can for now. I'm doing about 500-600 i think.

The Weetabix went down really well actually. I made it extremely milky and runny. It was actually closer to liquid than purée, and I let it sit for a while to make sure it was really soft. How much milk did you mix it with? Maybe it was too thick?

Back