• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Gastric Bypass Journey -Onwards and Upwards-Well this is a start

Hi everyone......

Thank you all so much for your posts...........

I am feeling much better have my down moments but getting there...........

back to work on Monday, thank god.. being at home is driving me insane.....

hope you are all well

Great news Mandy, your doing really well xx

Hi everyone...........

I am now back to work so online...........

If anyone wants to ask questions please feel free to do so, i will try to help as much as possible...

xxxx

Hi Mandy

Great to see you back and I'll have loads of questions when I get my surgery date thats for sure.

How are you feeling hun? I'm on MSN if you get chance xx

Hi Mandy

Great to see you back and I'll have loads of questions when I get my surgery date thats for sure.

How are you feeling hun? I'm on MSN if you get chance xx

Hi Hun

Just fire away on any questions....... I'll try my best to answer.......

Will sit down and write my experience soemtime this week....... if that will help

That will be great Mandy thanks and there is a few new people on here too and I'm sure they would appreciate that as well.

Your a star x

My Op

Hello Everyone.........

Here is all about my op, I am goign to give you my experience and what you have to remember is everyones experience is different....

I arrived at the hospital on Thursday 15th May at 6.15 was admitted and shown to my room.... room 33!!! I unpacked my bag and a lovely nurse called Gemma came in to tell me i was the first one down and helped me into my gown and lovely stockings!!!!!!!!!

The anesitist came in and checked on me, a man came in to get blood from me..... then finally my lovely consultant, Micheal van den Bossche came in I signed the consent form and 10 minutes later was walking down to theartre.... at this point i wanted to run out the hospital nerves were settling in!!!!!

I went into the threatre got on the bed and the next thing i knew i felt drunk and the anesitist said sweet dreams and i then remeber waking up in recovery, having this alful tube taken out of my mouth and being in huge amount of pain!!!! had this horrible tube up my nose and down my throat.... boy did i struggle with that one!!!!!

Then i was wheeled back to my room, i moved from there bed to my bed....... and slept on and off for an hour.....

The nurse kept coming in taking my blood pressure and doing obs. what a pain......... then they got me out of bed and sat me in a chair, itext everyone to say i was out of threatre....... and just dozed on and off, was in a lot of pain so kept pressing the morphine pump....... then i kept being sick and felt all weird the nurse took my blood pressure and it was extremely low, so then they decided to monitor me much more, nurse sat with me for about hour and half..... i had those moon type boots on that keep pumping up and down...... looked and felt a complete mess!!!!!!

Had visitors that night then got back into bed around 9.30 didnt sleep that night, kept being sick, nurses in every half hour doign obs....... then it was morning....

Gemma helped me up, walked very slowly to my bathroom sat on a chair and had a wash!!!! Was hell... but felt nice to wash..... walked back to chair and had to sip at least 50mls every hour i was managing 50,ls every 3 hours so had them nagging at me to try and drink more....... still kept being sick they thought it may of been the tube and morphine making me like that......... the physio came round in afternoon and took me for a walk, boy did that hurt!!!!!!

then i slept for two hours, thenmore visitors came up, that was tiring in it self.... got into bed about 10 friday night!!!!! another restless night, so much noise and going ons......

Saturday had the tube taken out YIPPEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the catherter.... that was great was taken off the morphine (bummer) given horrible calpol now i know why my son hates it...... went for some slow walks down the corridors, then sat around for the day........ went to bed at 11 that night had a better night sleep, not very comfortable though......

Sunday - had a yougurt brought for breakfast had half a teaspoon that was me done, purred fruit for snack same half a teaspoon they kept pushing me to drink, i was now dehydrated......... then at twelve had purred fish for dinner couldnt even touch that!!!!!!!!

Had all my drips and drains out, the drain felt really wierd when it came out.......... but was glad it was out and thne i was allowed home, but told i needed to rest and drink plenty!!!!!!!!

Since coming out i have not been to bad, i have now lost just over 2 stone in two weeks, the first week i just lay on sofa and slept the same the second week, I am so tired all the time!!!!!!!!!! for the last 4 days now i am constantly sick what goes in comes straight back out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but i dont regret having it done..... but would say it is very painful, i do struggle mentally with not having food, but have been told by georgina that it is part and parcel of the process.... have had some very bad down days..... but am looking forward to new slimmer me!!!!!!!!!!

Any questions feel free to fire away and i will try my best!!!!!

So Glad Your Back And Feeling Better, I Hope Your Pain Is Under Control Now. Congrats On Weight Loss, Super Job!!!
Susie

Hiya Mandy

Thanks for all this information it will really help me and others on here so thanks hun.

I'll be asking you loads of questions before I go in lol and no doubt texting you when in too!

I'm off for a brew now after reading that lol

Nic xx

Well managed to speak to my consultant today, and looks like i need to go back into hospital on Thursday and have a camera put down me to see what is happening!!!!!....

Anyone know do they do this while your awake or asleep!!!!!

Hi Mandy,

A newbie here - hope you don't mind.

Finding your info fascinating - it's great to hear a :airquote:warts and all:airquote: account of the op and the early days after.

Did you have the band or bypass??

I am so on edge at the moment - I find out on Friday if I have been granted funding!!:argh:

Good luck with your appointment back at the ozzy - sure everything will be ok for ya!!

Hi Mandy,

Glad to hear that you are now on the post-op side of things. Sorry to hear about the pain, but look positive, it's a 'getting better' pain, not a 'getting worse' one. I'm sure all will be fine.

Like you, I'd be worried about having the camera as I have a very bad gag reflex. Just thinking about it makes me......:sign0137:. Not trying to put you off. I know they at very least sedate you.

Your account was great to read. What hospital did you have your op done at?

Well done on the weight loss so far!

Gerry
:)

Great to have you back Mandy, and thanks for the honest account of your experience so far,,,,, hope you feel better soon, well done on the loss so far xx

Hi Mandy,

A newbie here - hope you don't mind.

Finding your info fascinating - it's great to hear a :airquote:warts and all:airquote: account of the op and the early days after.

Did you have the band or bypass??

I am so on edge at the moment - I find out on Friday if I have been granted funding!!:argh:

Good luck with your appointment back at the ozzy - sure everything will be ok for ya!!

Hiya

I had the bypass....... let me know how you get on with your funding adn i am here if you ever want to ask anything

Hi Mandy,

Glad to hear that you are now on the post-op side of things. Sorry to hear about the pain, but look positive, it's a 'getting better' pain, not a 'getting worse' one. I'm sure all will be fine.

Like you, I'd be worried about having the camera as I have a very bad gag reflex. Just thinking about it makes me......:sign0137:. Not trying to put you off. I know they at very least sedate you.

Your account was great to read. What hospital did you have your op done at?

Well done on the weight loss so far!

Gerry
:)

Hi Gerry

Thanks for the support, hows it all goign with you

Had my op done at the Spire in southampton
XXXXX

Great to have you back Mandy, and thanks for the honest account of your experience so far,,,,, hope you feel better soon, well done on the loss so far xx

Hi Ali

Thanks for the comment, I am just trying to give my account of how it was for me, everyone is different but thought it would help

Hello Everyone

I am back, Went into hospital on Thursday was very emotional tried to leave as was panicky but have to say the staff were fantastic, then the consultant came in and calmed me down........ and then it was time to go down.....

I walked into the room and they sprayed this horrible rotten bannana spray in my mouth twice, it felt like my throat was closing i lay on the bed, then the consultant said he was going to give me some gin and tonic and that was it i don't remeber a thing!!!!!!woke up about two hours later, had some water and yogurt and was all fine, no sickness.... Michael came in to see me and said that my tube had closed and wasnt allowing anything to go down!!! so they needed to stretch it!

Have to say i found the worst bit was when they needed to put the canula in, took him about 5 attempts and nearly 45 mins to find a vein.... tell you what got a massive bruise where it was!!!! LOL

but I am happy to say, I am all fine now... still very emotional and get very tired quickly but otherwise i am great

Mandy
So glad your now sorted out and you can begin the healing process properly now.

Back