• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My journey begins - 6 months today post RnY

I have not had to suffer the wind so quite relieved about that lol...I tried the sugar free jelly in hospital and could not stomach it it tasted so sweet, I too am following things by the letter and my diet sheets appear to be going for goodness in what I eat so I am happy with that. Do feel a little bit sick but mostly after a drink think its the soluable pain killers that are irrating my stomach more than anything else...we are all so different....xx

Had my stitches out today. Trouble is they look red, angry and inflamed now. They itch too which I suppose means they are healing.

The nurse said the stitches being rubbed by my boob are inflamed but not infected so good news.

Hopfully I can wear a bra now :eek:

OMGosh how could I forget to mention my weight loss!!!

Another 5Kg's off so that's 10Kg's including the preop diet, or 1 stone 8lbs since 23/10/08.

well done, thats a great loss :)

Good for you! Things are looking 'down' in a good way. Glad to know you are infection free. Congrats!:)

If truth be told I am more uncomfortable now my stitches are out than when they were in. Its not too bad though.

Drove today, went to see the horses and it was just wonderful to be out of the house. I'm an outdoor gal and daytime TV does NOTHING for me. Have also started my third book in two weeks today.

Had some No Added Sugar chocolate Angel Delight this afternoon and I didn't dump. Mind you I didn't have very much and didn't really enjoy it either as I was eating it very apprehensively.

Hi my stitches get uncovered tomorrow, they dissolve so no need to have them removed. I cant wait until I can get out and about dont have the energy to walk very far but I am going to visit my neighbour tomorrow for a brew just to get out of the house....you sound like your doing well...xx

Hi my stitches get uncovered tomorrow, they dissolve so no need to have them removed. I cant wait until I can get out and about dont have the energy to walk very far but I am going to visit my neighbour tomorrow for a brew just to get out of the house....you sound like your doing well...xx

I feel much better than I thought I would. If this reassures all new bypassers and pre op bypassers then thats brilliant. It all about the unknown. I was so worried about the nasel tube and the catheter and they were no problem - uncomfortable yes but not horrendous.

I can't get over how little I eat yet I always seems to be eating - 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. I am not hungry at all. I've had head hunger but not physical.

All in all its not a walk in the park but it isn't as bad as you think its going to be.

Again for all the pre bypassers like charlie girlwe had the same surgeon who uses dissolvable stitches so nothing to be removed just wish i had left my dressings for another couple of days as the steristrip was very comfortable and the stitches hadnt quite disolved so they felt a bit nippy when the dressings came off. but unlike perissa no nasal tube ot cathater. different surgeons different rules.

Hey, we had surgery the same week! I just realized that. I know what you mean about not a walk in the park. The tiredness is getting to me a little. I was only awake for 8 hours yesterday! But I did manage to walk about a 1/2 mile (just up to the local store and back) which was good but I had to have a 2 hour nap after!! I am glad you are feeling a bit better and try to enjoy the food if you can. If you are smart and dedicated you may never dump!

Good luck!

Removed my dressings this morning and cannot believe how tiny the openings were, rubbed some bio oil on for good measure but cant see a problem with them healing. Had shower, washed my hair and then removed three had to go lay on the bed then for 10 mins to get my breath back before I could do the next two. The tiredness is unbelieveable. But I dont sleep during the day just go to bed early and get up early think I need to start napping. xx

swear by it. used it throughout my pregnancy and got very few stretch marks, I have also always used it on cuts grazes and as a daily moisturiser mixed with a little aquiouse cream.
smells good too.

18 days post op.

Tried milk with strawberry crusha (no added sugar) and thought I was going to throw up after two small sips. Won't be trying that again!!! I hate milk anyway, don't drink tea or coffee but I thought it might be a way of getting some more protein in.

I just can't fit in all the food I am supposed to eat! I'm supposed to have 6 portions of protein but I'm usually only getting in 5, and 2 each of carbs, veg and fruit. Most of the time I'm getting these in.

I tried corned beef in mash last night. It was disgusting!

Tonight I am going to try a WW Chicken Hotpot pureed. This was one of my favorite's anyway so hopefully will be just as nice pureed!

I've been feeling very uncomfortable for a few days, my tummy is still swollen. However after lunch I went to the bathroom - spent some time in there
redface.gif
wink.gif
and now feel much better. I have not been constipated at all, in fact I'm regular as clockwork but this extra visit to the bathroom produced a remarkable amount and hey presto, feel much more comfortable!

20 days post op.

Saw my GP today, who rather worryingly thought I'd had a band fitted!!!! He also asked me why I was taking Lansoprazole. I proceeded to tell him what I'd had and the why how's and where-fors!!! He didn't even know that I had to take multivits, calcium etc for the rest of my life!!!!!

Good job I'm doing quite well and researched carefully!!

Oh and the little bump under where my middle (belly button) set of stitches were is not a hernia.

Anyway he's signed me off work for a month, so I should be going back to work on the 8th December - total 5 weeks off work. I see Mr Byrne on the 3rd December so this fits in nicely.

BY the way I have discovered that pureed ham is quite nice too.

Last edited:
Holland & Barretts sell Met-Rx protein shakes, ready to drink, in little cartons that are low fat and low sugar, and rather tasty. PG put me on to them and they are a fridge standby now! Might be a way to get that extra protein in. 20g protein in each one :)

5 weeks post op

Today I had my first piece of toast!!!

Wholemeal with baked beans and grated cheese. It was lovely and I never knew one slice of toast could take 20 mins to eat!! I didn't eat the crusts but ate most of the middle!

I've been transitioning onto sloppy food for about a week. I can eat pasta but haven't tried rice yet.

I haven't been sick at all. A couple of times I have had what I can only describe as an air lock which is quite painful until I burp ..... from either end :eek:

I saw the dietition and my consultant Mr Byrne yesterday.

I've lost 13Kg since my op (and 5Kg on the pre op diet). They are very pleased with my progress.

Mr Byrne wants me to start taking Forcival and calcium as soon as I see my GP - which happens to be tomorrow. He wants me to have a blood test just before my 6 month appointment and then another just before my 12 month appointment. He does not agree with B12 injections unless they are required and the only way to find that out is with blood tests. He also said that it is only necessary to monitor B12 levels for the first year and if its OK in the first year then it it highly unlikely that anyone would have a problem thereafter.

He's also told me to stop taking the Lansoprazole tabs, he says it isn't necessary to take ant-acids long term.

Its interesting to read here how all the surgeon's have very different idea's on post op care and well as long term care.

I asked him why I still can't lay of my side with out pain. He examined me (and made comment on my neat scars!) and touched an area just below my left rib cage which hurt a lot! He said that I have some temporary nerve damage, most likely from one of the instruments squishing a nerve against my ribcage, the good news is that it will resolve with time.

I asked him about my little bump under the scar by my belly button. It isn't a hernia but thinks its a small weakness in my abdominal muscle.

He told me to take it easy when I told him what I've been up to down the stables. Its difficult though as there are jobs that have to be done. My OH is being an arse so it falls to me to do them. I didn't dare tell him that I was sweeping the yard two weeks post op and bringing the horses in from 3 weeks post op!

I'm due to go back to work on Monday but not sure if I am ready or not. I find it painful to sit up like at a desk for any length of time because of the discomfort from my side. I also get tired easily. I suppose I run on so little 'petrol' these days I'm running on empty!

I have asked myself several times 'what the hell have I done' but having said that I don't regret having it done. Onwards and upwards :)

Back