• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My little corner

Lumpee

Got banded yesterday and just wanted to set up my own little thread to remind myself of why I'm doing this and track my progress.

I want to-
Be able to turn over in bed at night in one slick movement and not have to properly propel myself into position.

Get my hair cut without having to endure and hour of trying to avoid seeing myself in the mirror. Those capes aren't flattering with a double (or triple!) chin.

Be able to shop somewhere other than Evans. I bought PJs for my op on Thursday night and felt like telling the sales girl that it's going to be my last time giving them any of my money for quite a while. I have so many clothes I want to slim my way through.

Spot having to hide the fact that I'm constantly breathless.

Lose enough weight to stop the fertility problems I've been having or at least get to the stage where, if I need intervention, my BMI won't keep me from treatment.

Not always be the fattest person in the room.

So that's it. Not a big ask really :cool:

Hi Hun,

I'm going for my band on the 2nd October, where did you go and how are you feeling so far
Good luck you will do it xx

Hello and welcome to both newbies
I wish you both good luck in all that you wish for

Good luck! I wanted all those things too, stick with all the advice you're given by your team an you'll get there :) x

Good luck Lumpee on your journey. I'm looking forward to reading about the ups and downs as they happen (lots of ups and not many downs please!). I am the beginning of the process with my first appointment with the weight management team on Friday so probably got a while to get to where you are today. Hope your adjusting to your new life and taking it easy x

Hi Hun,

I'm going for my band on the 2nd October, where did you go and how are you feeling so far
Good luck you will do it xx

Hi Gemma. Got it done in Dublin. Stayed in one night and home first thing the next morning.

Not feeling too bad today. Last night was my first night home and sleep was broken but caught up on a few hours in an armchair this morning so can't complain. Pain is very manageable, more discomfort than outright pain. Actually, sneezing, coughing, laughing and yawning cause a fair bit of pain but I've found keeping a pillow across my lap to squeeze helps.

So far, I've had tea, water and a little orange juice. Had a tiny soup of watery soup yesterday and it didn't sit well with me at all so going to avoid it.

Still have some shoulder pain but not as bad as it was. Earl Grey and peppermint teas are helping as is keeping moving.

Had my first aftercare call with my coordinator this afternoon and all seems as he would expect. I need to start upping my fluid intake to get to two litres a day and I'm ok to shower and remove bandages tonight.

All in all, I'm in much better shape that I thought I would be two days post op.

sounds like your doing grand hunni :) keep sipping.......... at the start i struggled to get those fluids in but it gets easier promise x x x windeze i used for the wind pain

Thanks for the wind suggestions, will check them out!

Not sure if anyone else noticed this but I've had incredibly oily skin since the op on Saturday. Today I'd the first day I've been able to shower but I've obviously been washing every day along with cleansing my face. Every time I look in the mirror, it's visibly oily :confused:

Not sure about oily skin chick, but know about wind and Nik is right get some deflatine, she recommended it to me and it works.

Also, lie on the floor on your back and gently raise your arms above your head and lower them again. May move something....

Hitting a bit of a wall today so just coming back to remind myself of why I'm doing this.

3 days post op and pain is still very manageable. Got Deflatine and my shoulder has been great all day. Slept pretty well last night and even had a 45 minute snooze today so feeling well rested.

Just full of doubts though. Have I done the right thing? Will life ever feel normal again? My life has always completely revolved around food and that has now changed but I want to be able to share meals with my family again. I know I will but I just feel so far away from that stage now.

I know I'm being silly but think it's all just caught up with me.

Lumpee - I've had tears this week too. The same, what have I done thoughts. I find it worse when I'm tired and I catch sight of the rest of the family at the dining table. At the moment, with my soup and slim fast, I'm not sitting with them. Also it's not so comfortable sitting in a chair. Once I start purée, I plan to sit at the dinner table with everyone else.

Having read other people's diaries, I think this is. Stage that many go through. I'm holding on to that thought. X

Lumpee - I've had tears this week too. The same, what have I done thoughts. I find it worse when I'm tired and I catch sight of the rest of the family at the dining table. At the moment, with my soup and slim fast, I'm not sitting with them. Also it's not so comfortable sitting in a chair. Once I start purée, I plan to sit at the dinner table with everyone else.

Having read other people's diaries, I think this is. Stage that many go through. I'm holding on to that thought. X

Thanks TheBear :hug99:
I think you're right, I'm feeling a bit isolated. Hubby is only cooking his dinner now and the smell from the kitchen is amazing. For the past two nights, I've left the room when he's cooking but going to join him and have a juice.

I'm daydreaming about puréed foods. I thought I'd miss burgers and chips but I'm actually fantasising about Weetabix and mushy Cornflakes!

Sweet this is normal, but you will eat the same eventually only less. Follow the plan. You cant run before you walk as they say. Soon be having a steak and chips tea and OH finishing it off for you x

Day 4.

Woke up in a lot of pain at 5am. Just feeling incredibly sore all day, shoulder pain back with a vengeance and scars are very tender and itchy.

Went out for the first time since the op. managed a 15 minute walk at the beach and was feeling ok but tired. Then made the mistake of going for a drive with hubby (he was driving) and started to feel increasingly awful. Stomach felt like someone had a fist wrapped around it. It felt like that sensation yu get if you drink cold water on a very empty stomach.

Came home and realised that I was incredibly hungry. Not head hunger but my stomach was physically contracting from lack of food so I reviewed my notes from the clinic and, while they recommend a liquid diet for the first 7 days, they do say to try some mush if you feel you need it. And man did I need it!

So I prepared 15gr of Cornflakes with skimmed milk and let it sit for an hour to go completely mushy. Then I ate 20 bites using a teaspoon. I made myself chew each mouthful, even though it was pure mush, and gave myself a minute between each bite.

20 minutes later, I was finished and feeling much happier.

An hour later and everything has stayed down, pains have gone away and I'm feeling much more energetic and happy.

I think I've done the right thing. This band and I have to get along together and I think having one small mush meal at this stage will help us get there!

Bless you Lumpee :) glad your doing ok..... try making some protein packed soup ..... i made chicken and mushroom and blitzed it down super delicious and great while on liquids. worse somes to worse get some protein drinks for such occasions x x x x great to make friends with your band........ trust me you need to be friends x x x xx x

Day 5.

Might be a bit premature but I think I've had my first non-scale victory:D

Usually, when I put face cream on my face and neck, a lot of it ends up on my chest as my double chin presses onto my chest when I look down but I've had cream on all day today and no blobs anywhere but on my face and neck! I've been using the iPad etc so looking down a lot but none has moved. I've just tried forcing my head down so my chin touches my chest area and I had to really stretch to do it!

I'm delighted. Over the past two years, I've gained a LOT of weight around my face and chins so delighted that it seems to be improving a little.

Just a brief update.

I'm almost three weeks post-op and doing well. I've progressed past mush and am eating a varied and very healthy diet. My willpower seems to have kicked in and I'm enjoying eating proper, healthy food and love not feeling depressed and loathsome after I eat.

A typical diet for me now is-

Breakfast at 9am in work- 3 tablespoons of dry Readybrek made up with boiling water. I then add a very small amount of skimmed milk to make it tastier.
Or
A shake made up of a mint Options (made with boiled water and cooled in the fridge) topped up with cold tap water and a scoop of whey protein and blitzed really well.
Or
Magic pancakes! Half a banana blended very well with an egg and cinnamon and fried in a tiny amount of oil. Sounds weird but they really do taste like pancakes!

Lunch at 12.30/1pm in work- salad (my favourite is rocket, goats cheese, pecans, pears and a small amount of homemade olive oil and lemon dressing.
Or
A whole wheat wrap with turkey, cheese and lettuce, no butter or mayo.
Or
Soup
Or
Veggie stir fry
Or
A very small slice of homemade lasagne, light on the cheese and cheese sauce

Dinner at home
Hummus, beetroot and salad
Or
Veggie stir fry with very small amount of brown rice
Or
Brown rice with a very small amount of Thai red curry sauce
Or
Roast chicken breast with steamed veg
Or
Turkey meatballs and sweet corn
Or
A medium baked potato with cheese and corn

Snacks- usually one a day

Rice cake with some kind of topping (laughing cow on a good day, a little bit of Nutella when I need something sweet)
Or
Magic pancakes
Or
Laughing cow triangle
Or
Bag of popcorn
Or
Slice of brown bread with butter, eaten very slowly
Or
Apple slices with almond butter

I've been drinking a lot of water, usually with some no added sugar squash. Some evenings I'll have an Options made with skimmed milk or a cup of tea with a very small amount of milk or sugar. Sometimes, in work, I'll get a hot chocolate made with low fat milk from the canteen.

I've even had two sneaky glasses of wine on a night out :eek: I know it's not recommended but was completely worth it :)

So that's it. Won't be weighed until Nov 1st so no idea where I am in terms of weight loss but my clothes are getting loose and I've had some people remark that I'm looking well or asking if I've lost weight. I do have some restriction (as I learned when I completely forgot what I was doing and wolfed down a slice of brown toast, I will not be making that mistake again!) and getting a fill on Nov 1st so hoping I can control my appetite until then.

Oh, and I've also bought a Wii fit :D It should be delivered tomorrow.

All in all, I'm delighted. The surgery was tough and I have a very long way to go but I'm quite fond of my band. We're getting along well together :D:D:D

Back