• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New and lost x

Suwiexx

Hi all I'm Susan I live in Kent I've been big all my life I'm 30 tomorrow my biggest was 22st my smallest in the past 10 yrs was 18st I've lost nearly 3 st since Xmas and I've just been granted funding for the gastric by bass and have been asked to research the hospitals and see which one I want to go for but I really don't know where to start I don't even know what to look for any help would be great thanks xx

Welcome, Congratulations, & Happy Birthday, Susan :D I am in Sheffield so no use to you as far as recommending a hospital near you but glad you have joined the best forum on the net for advise & support :D:D:D

Welcome Susan and congratulations on the funding. I'm in London so don't know about the hospitals near you but I would find out what hospitals are available to you and then do some research on the surgeons that cover those hospitals, how many ops they have done, how long they have been doing them etc, what the aftercare package is like, whether they have a special bariatric unit, and most importantly to me whether they had an A & E so that if you need to you can get there quickly and they have bariatric trained staff if you need them in an emergency. What hospitals do you have the choice of?

Thanks, I have been given I list and found a couple on the net but can't find enough info eg waiting lists mortality rate complication rates u know.. How good your surgeon is ect here the list incase anyone has been there sorry about the spelling I wrote them down quick and couldn't remember to change them

chelsea and westminster hospital

guys and st thomas

homerton university hospital

imperial weight loss centre chafing cross

Kings College tooting

Luton and Dunstable Bedfordshire

St George's hospital

university college london hospital

Weston Sussex

St Richards Chicester

whittington hospital london

:birthday::welcome2:Hi Susan and welcome and happy birthday to !
Where in Kent do you live as i am in Kent to!
I hope you find all the help and support you need .
Love Marie. xoxox

Hi i went to St Richards and i have to say they were just fantastic i was in last week having my bypass ..

A lot of those names are familiar with people on here having used them! I'm sure more than Poo will give opinions on how they rated their surgeon....

I had mine done in the West Midlands and had a choice of one hospital so didn't have this concern.

The only advice i can give is this:

Research, use this site to find the answers to all the questions you have. Any little thing please ask, you won't be the first to ask about toilet habits, sex, do you wear your knickers in theatre, what to take to hospital. Ask away and NEVER EVER be afraid to ask anything..

Good luck xxx

welcome susan and good luck with your journey :) x

:)Welcome Su-& happy 30th tomorrow
....maybe research the surgeon first then the hospital???
Good luckxxx

Welcome Sue and Happy Birthday for tomorrow. Also congratulations on getting your funding ....what a fabulous birthday present for you.

As Julie has said do not hesitate to post any question or query on this site no matter how trivial they may seem....you will always receive constructive answers from real personal experience ..................Not sure how I would have got to so near my op without the support from the lovely people who post on here :)

Hiya i live in croydon & had my surgery @the princess royal formerly known as farnborough kent my surgeon was mr el hassini hope this helps you x

poo bear said:
:birthday::welcome2:Hi Susan and welcome and happy birthday to !
Where in Kent do you live as i am in Kent to!
I hope you find all the help and support you need .
Love Marie. xoxox

Hi ya thanks and I live in Medway xx

Wow everyone is so nice here lol I didn't expect it. And this questions I hadn't even thought about at the mo I'm mostly worried about something going wrong and ending up Ill because of the surgery and excess skin, also I have 2 young children one is nearly 4 and the other nearly 1 and the recovery, I don't have any family in kent just my partner who is very supportive but works. My family live in Cornwall so my mum would have to come help whilst I'm recovering I think. thanks everyone for being so welcoming xxxx

Hi Suwie

I am in Maidstone and i am waiting for an appointment at St Georges... It is not the fastest hospital around.. I went to a group forum in January where i was told it would be around December when they send out appointments to see dietician, surgeon etc, then if all ok it would be a further few months to wait for operation, so thats about an 18 month wait..

Logistically it is the best hospital for me to get to and can park, rather than use train after operation..

I am sure there are other hospitals with a shorter wait time, good luck with your choice..

Nicky xx

Nickynoodles said:
Hi Suwie

I am in Maidstone and i am waiting for an appointment at St Georges... It is not the fastest hospital around.. I went to a group forum in January where i was told it would be around December when they send out appointments to see dietician, surgeon etc, then if all ok it would be a further few months to wait for operation, so thats about an 18 month wait..

Logistically it is the best hospital for me to get to and can park, rather than use train after operation..

I am sure there are other hospitals with a shorter wait time, good luck with your choice..

Nicky xx

Thanks Nicky I was looking at that one but only because I knew the name lol I don't really know what I'm looking for,my gp said to ring them and ask about after care that's about it but would love to hear how u get on xx

hi love ,im in herne bay but spend a lot of time at my daughters in rochester , glad youve got your funding , and that your on your way , i am at chelsea and westminster , my first appointment was dec 2010 ,had 3 appts after that and have my surgery this month , ive had a couple of cancellations but i think most of us do , but up til now its been a fairly easy journey ,i did have 18months of problems prior to being referred to c&w ,with other hospitals ,for other gall bladder problems,but i would recommend chelsea up to this point ,although as i said im a pre opper til 28th! the travel is easy by train or driving/ parking ,they try to do several appointments at once to save multi appts for people who live a long distance,and even when things are getting you down,their always there to talk to you ,,but im sure everyone feels the same about their hospitals , good luck with your choice and future journey love x,, x

Hi, Welcome and Happy Birthday Susan, you will find everyone here very friendly, helpful and supportive. Good Luck on your wls journey xx

Hi
I live in maidstone and am booked in 13th sept at charring cross hospital. They all are great up there.
good luck
Rachael:eek:

Hi all I'm Susan I live in Kent I've been big all my life I'm 30 tomorrow my biggest was 22st my smallest in the past 10 yrs was 18st I've lost nearly 3 st since Xmas and I've just been granted funding for the gastric by bass and have been asked to research the hospitals and see which one I want to go for but I really don't know where to start I don't even know what to look for any help would be great thanks xx

where abouts are you in kent I was done at Princess Royal Bromley and a good friend of mine was at the Chelsfield clinic near Orpington. both of us were operated on by El Hussani brills surgeon bit blunt but I totally felt that I was in good hands.

Back