• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NEWLY POST OP - LETS SEE WHAT YOUR MANAGING.....

LittleMissNom

Wow @Kar8858 ; you had your sleeve a while ago too, I didn't think it would still be so tight... I dont think think mine is as tiny, and only been done a few months but happy and still learning day to day what I can manage. It changes... sometimes it's more than others, others days water is hard work lol . I manage a nice small portion but would not last the evening on 3 tiny potatoes. Hope you doing ok.xxxxx

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
This was my evening meal. A small chicken breast, two small new potatoes and a tablespoon of mixed veg. Had some gravy and hot horseradish sauce with it too. My OH has just taken my bowl away but I managed 2/3 rds of the chicken one potato and nearly all the veg.

@Kar8858 it makes me sad to read how you struggle to eat. Is there anything that can be done? x

Attachments

• 20161127_172650.jpg
    20161127_172650.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 33

SAM55

Starting to worry after all your comments earlier. I can eat any type of food even bread and pasta, just small quantities. I don't like takeaway as the greasiness is yuck but there's no food per se that is off limits.
Might explain why I've stalled again ....
It's the carbs that do it. How are you doing with your protein?

SAM55

Hey @Rose2016 try not to worry, part of why i choose the sleeve was that it limited my quantity rather than variety of foods. It's nice to have the choice but I have found it stretches my willpower with the variety... almost like I haven't learnt that some foods should be off limits to me!!! (Although i have found tolerance varies and has affected some things) I guess thinking of the sleeve as a tool and work with it to get the most out of it/ make it work more efficiently is how I've looked at it. Try going back to basics for one day ( the dreaded shakes/ soups/ lots of water ) then get breakfast sorted, get off on the right foot which I find really helps set the day... smoked salmon and eggs would be a huge treat :) or weetabix lol... and at meals start with protein, then veg, then carbs... snack on a yogurt or a couple of babybel lights? I find over planning quite demanding but having the same breakfast and snacks in stock is half the battle.xx
I agree. Get the basics right at the beginning of the day, particularly with the protein.

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
It was lovely @starryeyed !

I was very hungry waiting for it to cook as I'd been to the gym this afternoon. My personal trainer worked me hard, I'm going to ache tomorrow thats for sure :p

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Starting to worry after all your comments earlier. I can eat any type of food even bread and pasta, just small quantities. I don't like takeaway as the greasiness is yuck but there's no food per se that is off limits.
Might explain why I've stalled again ....

I could probably eat a small amount of bread and can and do eat wholegrain rice but I only eat it on days I've exercised as I follow the guidelines my personal trainer gave me for nutrition. They are pretty much what the hospital want me to eat too. Protein, veg and fruit and carbs when you deserve them.

No food should be off limits totaly so its good that you can manage a variety but if you are stalling maybe you could look at the split between protein and carbs in your meals.

Here's the 'rules' I follow (I've posted them before somewhere) but you might get something from it to help:

1 . Stay hydrated

People hear this so often that they become numb to it, the first and easiest aspect to change in your lifestyle to improve health, performance and aid weight loss is to stay well hydrated. Remember if you drink more water throughout the day, your body will hold on to less of it leaving you less bloated and looking leaner. Aim for minimum 2 litres.

2. Eat complete, lean protein each time you eat.

Are you eating something that was an animal or comes from an animal – every time you feed yourself? If not, make the change. Note: If you’re a vegetarian, this rule still applies – you need complete protein and need to find non-animal sources.

3. Eat vegetables every time you eat.

That’s right, in addition to a complete, lean protein source, you need to eat some vegetables every time you eat (every 3-4 hours, right?). You can chuck in a piece of fruit here and there as well. But don’t skip the veggies.

4. Eat carbs only when you deserve to.

Well, not ALL carbs – eat fruits and veggies pretty much whenever you want. And if you want to eat a carbohydrate that’s not a fruit or a vegetable (this includes things like simple sugars, rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, etc), you can – but you’ll need to save it until after you’ve exercised. Your body best tolerates these carbohydrates after exercise. For the rest of the day, eat your lean protein and a delicious selection of fruits and veggies.

5. Learn to love healthy fats.

There are 3 types of fat – saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated. Forget about that old “eating fat makes you fat” maxim. Eating all three kinds of fat in a healthy balance (about equal parts of each) can dramatically improve your health, and even help you lose fat. Your saturated fat should come from your animal products and you can even toss in some butter or coconut oil for cooking. Your monounsaturated fat should come from mixed nuts, olives, and olive oil. And your polyunsaturated fat should from flaxseed oil, fish oil, and mixed nuts.

6. Ditch the calorie containing drinks (including fruit juice).

In fact, all of your drinks should come from non-calorie containing beverages. Fruit juice, alcoholic drinks, and fizzy – these are all to be removed from your daily fare. Your best choices are water and green tea.

7. Focus on whole foods.

Most of your dietary intake should come from whole foods. There are a few times where supplement drinks and shakes are useful. But most of the time, you’ll do best with whole, largely unprocessed foods.

8. Have 20% foods.

I know you cringed at a few of the rules above. But here’s the thing: 100% nutritional discipline is never required for optimal progress. The difference, in results, between 80% adherence to your nutrition program and 100% adherence is negligible. So you can allow yourself “20% foods” – foods that break rules, but which you’ll allow yourself to eat (or drink, if it’s a beverage) 20% of the time.

Just make sure you do the maths and determine what 20% of the time really means!!!

9. Develop food preparation strategies.

The hardest part about eating well is making sure you can follow the 8 rules above consistently. And this is where preparation comes in. You might know what to eat, but if isn’t available, you’ll blow it when it’s time for a meal.

10. Balance daily food choices with healthy variety.

Let’s face it, when you’re busy during the week, you’re not going to be spending a ton of time whipping up gourmet meals. During these times you’re going to need a set of tasty, easy to make foods that you can eat day in and day out. However, once every day or a few times a week, you need to eat something different, something unique and tasty to stave off boredom and stagnation.

Kar8858

Morning, my surgeon says my sleeve is doing what it should and sometimes if people aren't very tall their stomachs are shorter too so it means the bit that's left is smaller. A 6ft tall man with the same size bougie as me would have a much bigger stomach due to it being longer. I believe he does use a small bougie for a tight sleeve. It just has no stretch in it at all, but hell it works! The max I can manage over 10 minutes is 200ml of yoghurt which is a lot for me. If it's more dense I fill up..does get annoying though!! To be honest if I had paid the money I did and not got the restriction I would have been more gutted!

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Ah I see. Thinking about it, my surgeon did tell me he was able to give me a long sleeve and I am 5ft 9 (and a half lol)

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
BAD BAD BAD food day today, stress related :mad:

No breakfast, a couple of spoons of tuna at lunch and some ham when I got home. Cannot physically eat another thing after working when I got in until about fifteen minutes ago.

I need a new job, drowning under all the pressure of it .......

Rose2016

@Mazza thank you so much for your summary I have printed it off and it will be used daily. Sorry you've had a crap day. I sympathise as I'm back to work for a few weeks now and my routine is suffering. And I live my job - if I was even remotely upset by it I don't know I would carry on so you're doing brilliantly

Rose2016

Love my job ... not live my job. Although there are days ..

Rose2016

@SAM55 - you are right. I need to cut out the carbs even though they are small I need to remember that one slice of toast is all my wee stomach can tolerate so no room left for protein. It's a boiled egg for me from now on ...

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
@Mazza thank you so much for your summary I have printed it off and it will be used daily. Sorry you've had a crap day. I sympathise as I'm back to work for a few weeks now and my routine is suffering. And I live my job - if I was even remotely upset by it I don't know I would carry on so you're doing brilliantly

No problemo, simple but effective.

I dream of a job I love but Im in full on search mode for it :rolleyes:

SAM55

@SAM55 - you are right. I need to cut out the carbs even though they are small I need to remember that one slice of toast is all my wee stomach can tolerate so no room left for protein. It's a boiled egg for me from now on ...
Don't cut them all out Rose - I got told off for not eating enough carbs, hence the constipation, but yes, protein has to come first and then you may manage a quarter of a piece of toast

maggy

I could probably eat a small amount of bread and can and do eat wholegrain rice but I only eat it on days I've exercised as I follow the guidelines my personal trainer gave me for nutrition. They are pretty much what the hospital want me to eat too. Protein, veg and fruit and carbs when you deserve them.

No food should be off limits totaly so its good that you can manage a variety but if you are stalling maybe you could look at the split between protein and carbs in your meals.

Here's the 'rules' I follow (I've posted them before somewhere) but you might get something from it to help:

1 . Stay hydrated

People hear this so often that they become numb to it, the first and easiest aspect to change in your lifestyle to improve health, performance and aid weight loss is to stay well hydrated. Remember if you drink more water throughout the day, your body will hold on to less of it leaving you less bloated and looking leaner. Aim for minimum 2 litres.

2. Eat complete, lean protein each time you eat.

Are you eating something that was an animal or comes from an animal – every time you feed yourself? If not, make the change. Note: If you’re a vegetarian, this rule still applies – you need complete protein and need to find non-animal sources.

3. Eat vegetables every time you eat.

That’s right, in addition to a complete, lean protein source, you need to eat some vegetables every time you eat (every 3-4 hours, right?). You can chuck in a piece of fruit here and there as well. But don’t skip the veggies.

4. Eat carbs only when you deserve to.

Well, not ALL carbs – eat fruits and veggies pretty much whenever you want. And if you want to eat a carbohydrate that’s not a fruit or a vegetable (this includes things like simple sugars, rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, etc), you can – but you’ll need to save it until after you’ve exercised. Your body best tolerates these carbohydrates after exercise. For the rest of the day, eat your lean protein and a delicious selection of fruits and veggies.

5. Learn to love healthy fats.

There are 3 types of fat – saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated. Forget about that old “eating fat makes you fat” maxim. Eating all three kinds of fat in a healthy balance (about equal parts of each) can dramatically improve your health, and even help you lose fat. Your saturated fat should come from your animal products and you can even toss in some butter or coconut oil for cooking. Your monounsaturated fat should come from mixed nuts, olives, and olive oil. And your polyunsaturated fat should from flaxseed oil, fish oil, and mixed nuts.

6. Ditch the calorie containing drinks (including fruit juice).

In fact, all of your drinks should come from non-calorie containing beverages. Fruit juice, alcoholic drinks, and fizzy – these are all to be removed from your daily fare. Your best choices are water and green tea.

7. Focus on whole foods.

Most of your dietary intake should come from whole foods. There are a few times where supplement drinks and shakes are useful. But most of the time, you’ll do best with whole, largely unprocessed foods.

8. Have 20% foods.

I know you cringed at a few of the rules above. But here’s the thing: 100% nutritional discipline is never required for optimal progress. The difference, in results, between 80% adherence to your nutrition program and 100% adherence is negligible. So you can allow yourself “20% foods” – foods that break rules, but which you’ll allow yourself to eat (or drink, if it’s a beverage) 20% of the time.

Just make sure you do the maths and determine what 20% of the time really means!!!

9. Develop food preparation strategies.

The hardest part about eating well is making sure you can follow the 8 rules above consistently. And this is where preparation comes in. You might know what to eat, but if isn’t available, you’ll blow it when it’s time for a meal.

10. Balance daily food choices with healthy variety.

Let’s face it, when you’re busy during the week, you’re not going to be spending a ton of time whipping up gourmet meals. During these times you’re going to need a set of tasty, easy to make foods that you can eat day in and day out. However, once every day or a few times a week, you need to eat something different, something unique and tasty to stave off boredom and stagnation.

Thanks Mazza, this is great! Sorry you had a crap day yesterday. Well done for not turning to food for comfort. Though maybe that's not your thing. Hope today's a better day.

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you @maggy and no problem. It certainly used to be my thing but since my band days, no more. Getting anxious would make the band tighter, seems its the same for my sleeve x

elizaxx

Not strictly newly post op, but still nice to have somewhere to write what I'm eating :)

Yesterday was:

Breakfast - Eat Natural protein packed bar

Lunch - Salt and pepper squid, with chilies

Dinner - 40g roast chicken breast, 1/3 of a carrot, 1/3 of a parsnip, 3 mini roast potatoes, gravy

Dessert - digestive biscuit with cream cheese and nutella

Megan Green

Hello!

Newly post op (day 6)

I was just wondering as i am in my liquid stage, i am having home made soup, pea, corn etc but i feel like mash and gravy is the same consistency or am i missing something?? Is it to do with nutrition rather than texture?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you

Laaux

Hello!

Newly post op (day 6)

I was just wondering as i am in my liquid stage, i am having home made soup, pea, corn etc but i feel like mash and gravy is the same consistency or am i missing something?? Is it to do with nutrition rather than texture?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you

Mash and gravy was definitely not included on my liquid stage. That was introduced on the soft/blended foods stage. The liquid diet for me was anyrhing I could possibly suck through a straw like soup with no lumps or bits. My surgeon said that your body shouldn’t have to do any digestion on the liquid diet as your stomach is all butchered x