• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS just turned me down

Helen82

Hi all,
This is my first time on this site after trawling the net for tummy tuck info and funding.
I have just had my decline letter from the NHS as I do not meet the PCT criteria.
My weight problems were due to a medical condition where I put 4 stone on in 6 months. Obviously this lead to massive stretch marks and the muscles damaged under the sudden strain. Even though the doctors said it would be virtually impossible for me to lose the weight due to insulin problems I have battled and won. I have lost 5 and half stone and am now a size 10. Apart from my stomach. I look pregnant
I am severly depressed about my baggy stomach and even though I am some what of an exercise and fitness addict I can't change its appearance. My issues towards my tummy has lead me to starve myself on some occasions and I am unable to look at myself in the mirror. I have also on some occasions pulled and squeezed the skin to the point of bruising through anger and frustration.
I lost my weight through Weight Watchers and I became the Weight Watchers magazine cover girl in December 2005 and I have since featured again. Photographers keep telling me to pursue modelling due to my height and so I'm told, natural ability. They do not know my ugly secret.
I have since put together a portfolio and some agencies are interested but I my confidence is knocked when it comes to my stomach.
I don't know where to turn next after the NHS has turned me down. We cannot afford to save for the £5000 op.
I'm so depressed. I have started a donation page on the below link, but can't see it making enough money by far.
Any suggestions????

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome Helen

I had to remove the link you placed in your post - you need to have been a member for longer, and post a bit more before you're allowed to do that :)

Can you not look at credit, most plastic surgery cinics offer some sort of finance. I had my eyes lasered and that was the only way I could afford it, didn't work out too expensive and the apr was very reasonable. Either that or have you thought about having the surgery abroad? Two of my friends have had boob jobs this way, they had the consultation here in Harley Street, travelled to Belgium for the op, then travelled back here the next day and had all their aftercare here, and they both look fab and it ended up costing them about a third of the price!
Good luck with it!
x

Can you not look at credit, most plastic surgery cinics offer some sort of finance. I had my eyes lasered and that was the only way I could afford it, didn't work out too expensive and the apr was very reasonable. Either that or have you thought about having the surgery abroad? Two of my friends have had boob jobs this way, they had the consultation here in Harley Street, travelled to Belgium for the op, then travelled back here the next day and had all their aftercare here, and they both look fab and it ended up costing them about a third of the price!
Good luck with it!
x

We have looked into finance options but we can't stretch our finances at the moment. We bought our house last year to accomodate our family and it pushed us to our limit. Maybe if finances change it would be an option for us. Only problem is, is I am a self employed singer and with the credit curnch, credit companys don't like to lend to the self employed.
I have thought about abroad but have heard so many horror stories about the ops going wrong that I feel I daren't do that, especially as I am a mum of two little ones. After seeing a consultant at the hospital group, they made me feel really confident about having it done with them. Their infections statistics are the best in the country and there success ops are brilliant.
Thanks anyway

Hi Helen. Sorry I didn't pick up on this sooner. Did the PCT say why you don't meet their criteria? Is it because you need to maintain your weight for a certain amount of time?

I've been granted funding for an NHS tummy tuck. A different PCT but if you want any advice just give me a shout.
x

Has anyone had a tummy tuck on the NHS?

Hi, i have just been refused a tummy tuck on the NHS because they rekon i dont meet the ptc critira. the thing is i do actually meet the critira and want to hear form people who have had tummy tucks on the NHS. i had been over weight for most of my life and decided to join slimming world, i have lost 4 1/2 stone and have been left with this grose excess skin which is taking over my life iam on antidepressants have been rerfured to local mental health experts and a eating disorder clinic. iam in the prosses of appealing against this and have an artical out of a slimming world mag of a women who had a breast lift and a tummy tuck on the NHS just because he GP was so impressed with her weight loss! yes ok she lost 12st which is much better than my 4 1/2 but if i could hear from any other people who have had tummy tucks on the NHS without question then it's more amo for me to fire at the primary care trust! thank you for reading kind regards Helen j.xxx:sigh:

Hi Helen,

My GP has just refered me to a PS who I will be seeing next month, not really sure what is going to happen after the intial meeting and quite worried as it seems like a lottery. My GP would not refer me 4 times over the last 6 years, previous to this, so just hoping that the struggle is ending rather than beginning. I will keep you posted.

Hi all, I am very interested in this subject as I am only halfway through my journey but my belly is taking on a worryingly saggy shape! Although I don't like the thought of surgery I know that realistically it's something I may have to consider in the future if I can't tighten it with exercise.

Can you ask your PCT's to forward you a list of the criteria to see where it is you are missing the boat? One thing that is similar with both Helen's seems to be depression. Could that be the reason? I think this is still quite a sticky subject as the main reason any of us want this done is to improve our body and mind but i have also heard that they are toughening up on doing surgery as a way to boost mental health. I would be interested to know if anyone knows more about this. I think that regardless of whether you get the funding approved you would both benefit from some work on yourselves to help you accept your bodies more for the time being as it will make this interim period much easier on you.

Helen, I'd suggest you go back to PCT and ask them where you are not meeting the criteria and if there is any way this might change. Also, have you considered taking some modelling jobs that don't involve baring your stomach to raise money for the surgery? Catalog stuff but not underwear for example.

I wish you both lots of luck and hope you acheive your goals x

Hi sorry to hear you are feeling so bad after ebing turned down for your operation. Got no advise about surgery my only advice if I may say from the way you described what you do to your stomach in the mirror is a for of self harming, please please please go back and see your GP he can help you with councelling and maybe even you could try again in light of the depression your in. It's worth a try.
If you ever need someone to chat to drop us a line.
Best of luck.
Luisa xxx

Reactions: Taz
primary care trust critira for tummy tucks

Hi all iam new to this site and didnt know how to post a message and ended up posting it on helen82 above.
Mine was the one about being refused a tummy tuck on the NHS.I got in contact with my MP afrter being refused and he wrote to the primary care trust i have a copy of the letter he got back and will tell you the critira you need to meet to get a tummy tuck on the nhs. I truly beleive it is a postcode lottery as i have a slimming world artical from May 2007 of a women who lives in cleveland she lost 12st and got a tummy tuck and a breast lift on the NHS just because her GP was so impressed with her weight loss i have sent the artical to my MP and along with my appeal letter to the primary care trust.
if there are any people who have had tummy tucks on the NHS i would like to here from you so i have more amo to fire at the primary care trust..

this is from the primary care trust in plymouth devon.

Nhs plymouth takes part in a panel where individual cases are considered against low priority treatments policy. This panel is a joint panel with torbay care trust and devon primary care trust.
The panel consider each individual case and consider wheather an exception should be made for that particular individual's case, if it can be demonstrated that there is exceptional clinical need.
This is definded as:

Where a patient will be affected in such a way as to leave them suffering with a serve or life threatining illness as a result of not receiving the requested low priority treatment.

Where the patience has a pre exsisting or current mental illness of sufficient severity to warrant treatment, then a psychiatric assesment will be required to identify whether the patient is at significant risk of further mental illness if the treatment is not undertaken, or that the interventiom will signifcantly contribuite to thee allevation of the mental illness.

Where the patient is suffering from sugnificant persistant pain requiring medication, which the requested treatment will allevate more effectively than orther forms of pain relief. The referring clinician will need to specify why the clinical pain justifies the requested treatment.
I hope this is of help..
regards helen marie jones.xxx:(

Back