• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS Tummy Tuck Diary (Pics Included)

Sorry for the late reply guys. I didn't receive any email updates so didn't realise anyone had posted.

Emma - well done on getting your funding sorted and good luck with your op hun. It's an amazing feeling when they say yes isn't it? If you decide to share pics, feel free to add a link to your album here. It's a very personal choice of course but it helps me to think... 'it's not my fault I have this horrible infliction and it will soon be gone anyway.' I view it like it's not even a part of me. It's like a growth that's going to be removed. I feel so positive and a lot more stable since I got the go ahead from the PCT. I suffer from cyclothymia which is a mild form of bipolar so to have an extra source of major depression hanging over you makes life even more unbearable. It's hard enough managing cyclothymia as it is. I've also had problems with hormonal acne since I gave birth to my daughter 10 years ago and have had my mental and physical health worsened by high-end hormone tablets which I came off a year ago. I'm now on long-term anti-biotics that have finally cleared my skin up so that's another source of depression gone. :)

FT, yes there is hope for you. I'm so glad my pics have helped you to see that. That's the reason I've posted them along with this thread. To give people hope because I started off with none until I found Minimins. Even then, I only had a tiny bit of hope of getting it sorted when I first visited my GP but I went in thinking I had nothing to lose. My GP even said she's seen worse overhangs than mine but it's about how it affects me personally. I thought it would be a problem that my doctor had no real proof of my weight loss (although I guess they could see how heavy I was in my maternity records from 10 years ago). Also when I had suffered infections I had not been to the GP because I was too embarrassed and so I guess they just had to take my word for it on that one. The main thing I think is having a really supportive GP that knows this is making your life a misery and is willing to support you. You really should go and see your GP about your overhang. You have nothing to lose. If you're embarrassed - just think - doctors see people's embarrassing problems all the time. It's their job. You have a lot of information to go in armed with now (in case they are unfamiliar with procedure). If there's anything else you need to know or want to chat about, PM me and I'll send you my email address.

Sarah - I know exactly what you mean. I have exactly the same problem with my boobs. I went from an F to a C cup with my weight loss but before my prgenancy was a DD for years. I breastfed baby 1 for 2 years and baby 2 for a year which has also had an extremely negative effect. I have even found a measurement guide on the web that tells you how severe your ptosis is and mine is pretty severe. :/

It is a disfigurement and like you say, should definitely not be mistaken for vanity. It's so easy for people to judge and anyone that does judge us should try being us for a week to see how it makes them feel. I can't even make love to my husband without wearing something that supports my breasts and covers my tummy. How can you feel like a normal sexy 30-something when you look down and see the boobs and tummy of a 90-year-old? Friends don't get it because they always see you when your dressed to go out and using clever tools and ploys to hide your worst and enhance your best. Hubby says he'll always fancy you no matter what. But none of that matters.

Yes, every woman has hang-ups about her body. I have them. I always have. Does my bum look big in this? etc. But those hang-ups are nothing. No where near what my boobs and tummy make me feel like. Before I had excess skin I never used to think about self-harming because of gaining half a stone at Christmas and not being able to fit in my size 10s for the next month! The key I guess is having a disfigurement that you know you can do nothing about unless you can get it surgically removed.

Congratulations on your PCT approval hun. Bet you can't wait to see your consultant. I hope you get a quick op date. I read up that my PCT doesn't fund breast lifts. I'm going to ask my GP about it once I've got my TT out of the way and I'm fully recovered. My tummy is just half of my problem. Obviously I'm extremely grateful they're resolving half of the problem for me but I am going to pursue the other half just as soon as I'm back on my feet. By the way - congratulations on your weight loss! You look fantastic! :)

Hi buffydog, I've added you as a friend so you can see my pics now. x

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! Only 2 weeks to go now. I have my pre-op assessment today actually. Nervous but excited too! :)

your tummy is just like mine, i`m gonna see what it looks like once i get down to target, i`m in wales and i think funding is impossible to get.
really looking forward to seeing your after pics.
good luck hun x

Ta chick! I'm really looking forward to seeing my after pics too. :) Don't hold out all hope. You don't know until you try. xx

Diary update...

I went for my pre-op assessment today. It involved taking my blood, testing me for MRSA, getting details of my medical history, weight, height, etc. as well as outlining the risks, signing the consent form and answering any questions I had.

The experience was amazing.The best experience I've ever had in an NHS hospital. Maybe the standards are higher at Addenbrookes because it's a Cambridge University hospital but in my opinion, all our hospitals should take an example from this one. The hospital was modern, clean and friendly. I couldn't find my way to the ward and a volunteer who saw me looking lost came right up to me and offered his services. He walked me for 10 minutes across the huge hospital all the way to where I needed to go as opposed to giving me vague directions and getting me even more lost.

As soon as I got to the ward I was seen by a nurse immediately. No waiting. After she got what she needed from me she sent me to get my blood taken. No waiting there either. Just walked straight in and I then had only a 15 minute wait to see the doctor.

Every member of staff was so friendly and caring, putting me right at ease about the op itself.

The doctor told me that it shouldn't hurt as much as my 2 c-sections because they don't cut into muscle like they do with c-sections. What a relief!

I don't feel half as nervous any more, that's for sure! :)

Last edited:
Good luck on the 25th!

I am pretty sure when I get down to goal I'm going to have one hell of an overhang! I've had two C-sections - the first for my eldest 10lb 7oz and the second for my twins who weighed in at over a stone between them at 7lb 4oz and 6lb 13oz! I was a size 12 before both my pregnancies. To be honest I am petrified of losing weight and having an overhang - I think I'd be tempted to put it all back on again.

Can you add me as a friend so that I can see yr pics. I can also keep up to date with yr progress as I stumbled on to this thread by accident. Many thanks and good luck again!

I know exactly what you mean Jax. Although putting all the weight back on probably wouldn't bring my overhang back up. Even my second pregnancy couldn't achieve that. My belly hung lower with my 2nd than it did on my first if you know what I mean. But being left with excess skin does sometimes make you wonder what's the point of working so hard to lose all that weight.

If you haven't already got an apron of tummy skin, I'd recommend losing weight at as slow a rate as possible, drink at least 4 pints of water a day (moisturise from the inside out) and keep the area well moisturised with vit E cream or cocoa butter twice a day. Of course, it also depends on how elastic your skin is as an individual, but a bit of damage limitation can't hurt. Good luck hun. Hopefully you'll be ok. :) xx

Thanks for yr advice have been doing most of the above for the past month or so since starting diet, although had been using the BioOil. Mind my skin is so dry generally especially in the cold weather that I might try both; one in the evening and one in the morning maybe???

Good luck again - will be droppin in to see how yr doing!

Ooooh definitely. Moisturising twice a day to prevent problems later on could really limit future damage, especially if your skin is dry. You seem like you've got the right idea anyway. I wish I'd have known all of this before I started losing weight (or even before becoming pregnant). But at least it's getting sorted now. Fingers crossed you keep as much elasticity as possible hun. :) xx

Hey Poppy .. I just wanted to come and add somthing here, Thankyou so much for adding your photos My tum is much like yours .. Ive had 4 kids all natural but gained weight with each and now im losing it ive got a sort of fat lip which i tuck into my pants!
(oh how romantic) ..
Ill be following your diary :) ... the hospital visit you had today sounds lovely .. straightforward, no hassle, on time. ........ bliss

Awwww thanks Pixie! Fat lip! Haha! That's one way of looking at it. :) Yeah my experience at the hospital was like a dream. It was more like an American hospital than a British NHS hospital.

Lizzie, I've sent you a friend request. If you accept it you will be able to view my pics. :) Good luck with the weight loss hun. xx

xluckyloox, welcome to minimins... i'd love to follow your progress too. Have you lost lots of weight and had children (and /or c-sects) too? i'm intrigued as it seems that c-sections seem to be what lead to our tums looking or feeling deformed (well mine does - I don't want to offend anyone...).

Hi FocusedTer i had my two kids naturaly but did gain a lot of weight and even more streatchmarks lol then lost a lot of weight 4+ stones so have been left with a horrible overhang. I need to post more so i can view poppypoo's pics so can't tell you if mine looks like hers at the mo but i will post pics of my own when i fined out how to do it as i can't even get a weigh chart on here, don't know if it's due to my lack of posts also. Anyone with an idiot proof guide on how to do these things would be greatly appreciated :)
Linda

Welcome to Minimins Linda. I'll send you a friend request. You just need to accept that and achieve 50 posts, then you'll be able to see my pics.
xx

BTW girls... I've changed my goal to: "TO GET TO MY GOAL WEIGHT BY LOSING AT LEAST 5lb OF EXCESS SKIN AND FAT WITH MY TUMMY TUCK ON 25TH NOVEMBER 2008"

I don't know if 5lbs is hopeful but some of the other girls that have had a TT have lost a bit more than this with their ops. I know everyone is different but I guess a bit of rough estimating can't hurt. I'm going to lose at least a few pounds which is another week of CD I don't need to do! ;)

I'm so excited I can't sleep (note the time I'm posting this)!!!

xx

Thanks pp wish you lots of luck on the 25th and know how your feeling, i've got to wait till the 19th Dec and already i can't sleep i'm so excited, people think i'm crazy being so excited about a big operation, i'm like the kids waiting on Christmas coming lol

Linda :D

woohoo worked out how to get a weightloss tracker on i'm so happy now lol )D

awww lets see if it's worked this time, at least i'm getting my posts up :p

Oh gosh Linda! I can't believe I missed your first post! Good luck for your op. I know - it's so exciting isn't it. Looking forward to seeing your pics. xx

Yes! Post post post! Then you can see my pics! ;)

Back