• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

November 2016 Surgeries

Thanks, apparently endoscopy is routine pre op procedure at this clinic. I have had one previously(they found a very small hiatus hernia) and itwas just horrendous so really nervous about having this one .
I'm sure it will be ok. My surgeon found a small hiatus hernia when they did the op on Friday. He repaired it as part of the surgery. He said its more likely to find them than not given how common they are in overweight patients. I had no idea. Never had any side effects from it.

Quick question for anyone post op:

How many of you have gone into ketosis? I was a bit concerned about my fluid intake based on the colour of my pee, then did some sums and realised my water intake is more than enough. So I started looking elsewhere, and (sorry for the tmi) popcorn smelling pee can be a sign of diabetes. I didn't have diabetes before the surgery so I started thinking about the other things that are related to that.

One of them is ketosis, anyone who has ever done Atkins, paleo, or Keto diets will know about ketones. I did keto last year and lost a lot of weight, and also had some Keto stix left over.

So I checked my ketone level and it's super high. Presumably this is a result of the strict diet pre and post surgery? Is there any danger to staying in ketosis or should I try to force myself out of it? I'm aware of the fat burning advantages, but when I was on keto diet I never had ketone levels this high.

Hmmm, that wasn't as quick as I thought it would be, sorry.

I've not tested my ketones but have some sticks at home so I'll have a look.

When is a good time to start on yogurts after surgery? I'm a week out on them now, just smooth ones with no sugar. During my time in the clinic I was given yogurt afterwards.

I did try chicken soup today, but think it was too much, so will give consomme a go tomorrow to see how that goes down. Need to break the habit of drinking while eating, as that's something I've always done.

Lentil soup is good protein wise too :)
how you feeling post oppers? There's so many of you doing the deed this month I'm struggling to keep track :)

Feeling great ... was surprised to put on 6kg in hospital but that has now gone ....
Had a bit of trapped wind today but not on any pain control..
A bit of a shock in recovery but now things could not be any better
No problems with liquids
Nice to have the support on this site
Will keep you posted

Feeling great ... was surprised to put on 6kg in hospital but that has now gone ....
No problems with liquids
Will keep you posted
Excellent!

Tip ..... buy frozen berries for your protein smoothies ... good value and makes them nice and cold

I'm not allowed fruit yet. Can't wait though!

@JakkiD how you doing one week post op?

I feel ok, but am now a little concerned that I'm not as well healed as I think I am. I keep thinking about the visible marks on my body, and forget a little about what has changed on the inside. So need to remind myself I'm not good to go yet, and need to still be careful.

In terms of eating I am fine. I can seem to manage most things, although think I had my first experience of dumping where I drank while eating. Need to really work on that habit and cut it out.

Don't feel hungry at all, and have looked at my calorie consumption and it's pretty low. As I go back to work next week, I will be more active and the calorie intake will be more important. I do notice I tire quite easily at the moment from short walks.

Also still getting the sweats easily when I raise my heartrate, but that's partly the after effects of the general anaesthetic and fitness related I'm sure.

Going to try Baxter's Beef Consomme tomorrow to see how that goes down. I have tomato soup as a back up. I'm pretty well stocked for food options at this stage I feel.

:p
I know what you mean - I waited around so long the day of surgery I just wanted it over! I'm feeling ok and glad I did it so far. We'll all have to help each other through the next few weeks.

@MrsN how are you getting on? What sort of fluids have you been having so far?
@Chill yesterday was more difficult as I really started to feel the restriction but I managed 500ml NAS juice throughout the first half of the day then about 350ml in the evening of the same. Roughly. For 'breakfast' I had 250ml options drink with added marvel for protein. I tried tomato soup watered down with milk for lunch and it was a disaster. My stomach couldn't handle it and it hurt. Managed maybe 4 teaspoons but I think it may have been too acidic. For 'tea' I had about 250mls of a protein shake - there were 330mls in the bottle but I couldn't face it all. Need to focus on keeping up my water/NAS intake and I think the rest will come.[/QUOTE]

Well done chill - sounds positive:p
No problems with liquids
Will keep you posted

Sounds like smooth sailing for Jeff, well done and pls keep us posted. I love hearing about who's on what stage when, it's great motivation for me x

Getting my head in place for surgery tomorrow. Am squeezing a half day off. Well, finishing at 2 to get a few things done. Saw my dietician yesterday. He was just lovely and gave me huge confidence about being able to do this. His emphasis was on a balanced diet. Protein definitely but didn't want me to obsess about it. Post op diet is two weeks of liquid (lots of milk) then mush for up to 5/6 weeks, then anything so long as it's well chewed. No drinks 30 mins before and 90 mins after meals to stop the food just washing through and leaving me hungry again. That will take some getting used to! He also gave me some indication of size of meals at varying points starting from teeny tiny about 2-4 tablespoons (5-6 times a day) up to about half of a ready meal (3 times a day). Roll on tomorrow.

Getting my head in place for surgery tomorrow. Am squeezing a half day off. Well, finishing at 2 to get a few things done. Saw my dietician yesterday. He was just lovely and gave me huge confidence about being able to do this. His emphasis was on a balanced diet. Protein definitely but didn't want me to obsess about it. Post op diet is two weeks of liquid (lots of milk) then mush for up to 5/6 weeks, then anything so long as it's well chewed. No drinks 30 mins before and 90 mins after meals to stop the food just washing through and leaving me hungry again. That will take some getting used to! He also gave me some indication of size of meals at varying points starting from teeny tiny about 2-4 tablespoons (5-6 times a day) up to about half of a ready meal (3 times a day). Roll on tomorrow.

Similar advice from my dietician although I'm liquid 2 weeks purée 2 weeks and soft food 2 weeks then I can try normal food which must be well chewed. I've been told no drinks 30 mins either side.

Best of luck for tomorrow. You'll be fine!!

@maggy its amazing the difference between information we are given, I keep reading all the stuff I was given at the pre-op last week and mine infor says no drink 15 mins before or 15 mins after.

The other thing I really do need to get into doing is chewing my food up really well.

I've not had chance to think about tomorrow much as we have had a new diagnosis for my son at the weekend via a letter which was a huge shock to us and so I've spent this week trying to get hold of the Dr's to find out what's going on, luckily I've managed to get an appointment or this morning which is going to involve 3 different Drs. Hopefully it will give us some answers though.

Thanks @MrsN

@Chill, I'm also amazed by the difference! Part of it must have to do with the different surgeries but that doesn't explain it all. The chewing food is more important for band and bypass because my lumps could get stuck. Sleeve leaves with you with a more normal stomach but probably important anyway as it will be all swollen and tender for quite some time.
Sorry to hear about your son. Hope everything works out. Difficult to have to deal with this on top of your surgery. Good luck with the Drs this morning.

I saw this great YouTube video in the September thread. It's the best explanation of the reason for not drink before and after eating.
Hope I manage to attach the link properly!

Back