• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

November 2016 Surgeries

I've watched that too / makes so much sense!

Getting my head in place for surgery tomorrow. Am squeezing a half day off. Well, finishing at 2 to get a few things done. Saw my dietician yesterday. He was just lovely and gave me huge confidence about being able to do this. His emphasis was on a balanced diet. Protein definitely but didn't want me to obsess about it. Post op diet is two weeks of liquid (lots of milk) then mush for up to 5/6 weeks, then anything so long as it's well chewed. No drinks 30 mins before and 90 mins after meals to stop the food just washing through and leaving me hungry again. That will take some getting used to! He also gave me some indication of size of meals at varying points starting from teeny tiny about 2-4 tablespoons (5-6 times a day) up to about half of a ready meal (3 times a day). Roll on tomorrow.
Wishing you all the best

When is a good time to start on yogurts after surgery? I'm a week out on them now, just smooth ones with no sugar. During my time in the clinic I was given yogurt afterwards.

I did try chicken soup today, but think it was too much, so will give consomme a go tomorrow to see how that goes down. Need to break the habit of drinking while eating, as that's something I've always done.
Yes, the not drinking and eating together is a hard thing which I still don't always get right if I am busy and don't remember to follow the 30 minute rule.

The yogurt question is different for different providers. Mine said yes, but for first two weeks I could only cope with natural runny ones, although they had less protein than some other makes that were marketed as high. It made a change in texture and also was less filling than a fluid. Chicken has been an issue for a lot of people in all its forms, as it seems to be quite indigestible to WLS people.

why not ?? whizz them up with milk and milk protein .. yum

Can be the acidity of the fruit, or the amount of fibre. Also depending on what fruit the amount of seeds/pips - some providers suggest a completely smooth liquid diet so as not to aggravate or inflame the healing pouch/sleeve. I did use fruit in smoothies but not in the first few weeks, added to protein shake, but I sieved the pips/seeds out.

Always best to follow your own providers advice, which varies greatly and makes our life a lot harder!

Can be the acidity of the fruit, or the amount of fibre. Also depending on what fruit the amount of seeds/pips - some providers suggest a completely smooth liquid diet so as not to aggravate or inflame the healing pouch/sleeve. I did use fruit in smoothies but not in the first few weeks, added to protein shake, but I sieved the pips/seeds out.

Always best to follow your own providers advice, which varies greatly and makes our life a lot harder!
No hard or fast rule ...I have a NutriBullet professional blender and no bits are left.... never been or felt sick .... a lucky one

Hi @MrsN im doing ok, just fed up being a patient now, im not suffering with much pain now apart from around the area of the biggest wound, especially when I do too much, thinking im back to normal, I soon realise otherwise!! Fluids going down no problem, i manage about 1500mls I think, hope you are well :)

Hi @MrsN im doing ok, just fed up being a patient now, im not suffering with much pain now apart from around the area of the biggest wound, especially when I do too much, thinking im back to normal, I soon realise otherwise!! Fluids going down no problem, i manage about 1500mls I think, hope you are well :)

Exactly the same. I was just about to post to say I can really feel pulling this afternoon in the area under the biggest incision and the bruising has come out around it today.
That's great re fluids. I'm probably managing about 1200. Got myself all worked up about it but realised I just need to be patient and my stomach is healing. Have you weighed in a week post op?

How are you all? I was sleeved on 11.11. Feel ok so far.
Come and join us on the November thread.

Looking forward to the 26th now as i cannot wait to taste something other than milk again. Glad to hear everyone's surgeries and recovery are going well too. Has anyone else been told that they can go straight to puree food after their op?

Looking forward to the 26th now as i cannot wait to taste something other than milk again. Glad to hear everyone's surgeries and recovery are going well too. Has anyone else been told that they can go straight to puree food after their op?

Question to anyone having injections after their wls:

Where is the best place to stick it? My first was done by the nurse in my gut, then the second was done by me. I asked where and was told stomach or thigh, so I picked thigh. I've since read you shouldn't do it into a muscle, but the body is covered in muscles?

I was told into the fat around the stomach/belly button area - the surrounding "flab" I mean, not in the belly button!

Were you not given a patient info leaflet with your injections? In the box?

I had fragmin and the attached picture is from the leaflet - outer thighs or stomach area but the stomach area is preferred - also I was told to alternate sides each day.

Another piece of advise, don't rub the area after injecting, it will bruise more - it stings but don't rub it!

However, this might be different for different drugs!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 2
Back