• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

November 2016 Surgeries

Want2b3

Ive told my 20 yr old and my 12 yr old, but not my 11 yr old, she knows im having an operation on my tummy at some point because ive had so many appointments etc but not the date as she would fret so much, Im normally so honest with them all about everything but she really worries me, though to be fair Im probably worrying more than I should, curse of being a mum eh!! Im doing the milk diet as I was given the option and thought itd be easier than thinking about food too much, but Ill see how the next few days go and may alternate, today may be a struggle as theres 16 of us going to the zoo, planned for a while, 'picnic' packed, but at least the walking will do me good x

Once into the diet it gets easier take one day at a time and fill up on drinks. I'm still drinking diet cola and will really miss it but it is possibly a big factor into stomach expanding then feeling hungrier possibly in past? I was reading re post diet earlier and realized I will need to make sure I have a good bit of milk in fridge. I am going to use Marvel a lot to add to soups.

Not sure if clear strained soups like spring veg from packets counts in liquid stage? Marvel would cream it up too sounds yummy! Thankfully we are in the season for soups/stews etc I love them in the winter. I will get slim fast chocolate and add warm milk to try a hot choc post op. Going to get thermostat cup for keeping drinks warm as takes hours to drink a cupful!

Want2b3

Good luck all you November surgeries :)

I was driving in week 3 short distances - it felt a bit sore when doing sharp steers, and last week (in week 6) i did a 180 mile round trip with no side effects other than tiredness, so you shouldn't be off the road too long @Want2b3. Was able to unpack my shopping after 4 weeks and other lifting was fine after 6 weeks, and have spent a fortune on clothes which keep getting too big very quickly, so don't rule out those January sales. :)
Sorry Sam missed your post. That's amazing 180 miles! I could not do that pre surgery (hate driving) but knowing I will be able to to shops get out anywhere will be fab! I wasn't expecting before 6 weeks to drive But you have done so well. I will try to aim to rest up as much as possible in early weeks to try and ensure healing is given best chance.
Oh I think I should be well enough to go round the shops in the sales my boy won't mind carrying a bag or 6 if I give a good tip lol. I have found a suit I want for work with lovely blue blouse. I was thinking of buying it in 16 bottom and 18 jacket and top as a goal prize! Is that a good idea as currently 28 top 24 bottom. I get 30% off, free delivery and bag if I order today....

Want2b3

Hi ladies. I also have surgery booked for November and am going to Brno to be sleeved. I decided two years ago that I wanted this operation as ive spent years yoyo dieting, I did manage to lose 4 stone at one point but inevitably put it back on plus a few pounds extra !!! I have never been able to maintain any weight loss so I feel this is my only hope. Its taken me two years to save for the surgery, in that time ive done my research and feel confident that its the right thing to do. I am terrified of the surgery though and can barely let myself think about it, not the actual operation just that something will go wrong. Now im crying AGAIN. Anyway im glad I found this site and have loved reading the success stories. GOOD LUCK for your surgeries
Hi Dollydot hugs to you. I understand have been through your journey with huge loses and unable to maintain several times. I know I am scared too and I can't say it will be all ok as it is unknown? Do you have any other medical conditions that could effect it? I have many and hence my fears also of course the very high BMI. Thankfully this LSD has brought it down a few points nearer to mid 40s and no longer 50! Are you on LRD too? how is it going? Have you started to get things ready unlike me!

SAM55

Sorry Sam missed your post. That's amazing 180 miles! I could not do that pre surgery (hate driving) but knowing I will be able to to shops get out anywhere will be fab! I wasn't expecting before 6 weeks to drive But you have done so well. I will try to aim to rest up as much as possible in early weeks to try and ensure healing is given best chance.
Oh I think I should be well enough to go round the shops in the sales my boy won't mind carrying a bag or 6 if I give a good tip lol. I have found a suit I want for work with lovely blue blouse. I was thinking of buying it in 16 bottom and 18 jacket and top as a goal prize! Is that a good idea as currently 28 top 24 bottom. I get 30% off, free delivery and bag if I order today....
I would hang fire on the suit as the weight doesn't come off consistently over the body. I had bought some new pyjamas and the bottoms fitted me long before the tops (6 week difference). Lost my weight around my face, shoulders, buttocks, and then around my lower legs, but middle took a time to shift, partly due to the swelling from the surgery. Having had to eventually replace almost all my clothes, finally my bras are getting loose.

Also think whether the weather will be suitable for the time you are able to wear it. I am all for buying new clothes as a goal, but wouldn't risk something that had to match top and bottom just yet.

I had a big motivation to do that journey. I was saying goodbye to my daughter who emigrated to New Zealand last Saturday. :( Not sure I would have tried it otherwise! By the way, I went out for my first short walk (walking is an issue anyway because of my knees) after 2 weeks. Some have done it a lot earlier than that, and it does make you feel better. Otherwise cabin fever sets in!!

SAM55

Once into the diet it gets easier take one day at a time and fill up on drinks. I'm still drinking diet cola and will really miss it but it is possibly a big factor into stomach expanding then feeling hungrier possibly in past? I was reading re post diet earlier and realized I will need to make sure I have a good bit of milk in fridge. I am going to use Marvel a lot to add to soups.

Not sure if clear strained soups like spring veg from packets counts in liquid stage? Marvel would cream it up too sounds yummy! Thankfully we are in the season for soups/stews etc I love them in the winter. I will get slim fast chocolate and add warm milk to try a hot choc post op. Going to get thermostat cup for keeping drinks warm as takes hours to drink a cupful!
If you can find Arla Best of Both milk (yellow label and my Tesco does it) it is a skimmed milk that has more protein in than normal milk, and also tastes like semi without the fat. They also do high protein yoghurts and cottage cheese. I too have warmed up my chocolate Slimfast and my protein shakes for a hot chocolate. Many people find warm foods go down easier.

A lot of people said all milky coffee was good on pre-op and post-op as it held off the pre-op hunger pangs, if you like or can drink coffee. Too much for me and I get cystitis. :(

Rose2016

best of luck... from a September Sleever. The op is a blip in time and recovery is rapid - here i am two months later with great health and three stone less than the start of LRD.
here to help if you need anything.

Want2b3

I would hang fire on the suit as the weight doesn't come off consistently over the body. I had bought some new pyjamas and the bottoms fitted me long before the tops (6 week difference). Lost my weight around my face, shoulders, buttocks, and then around my lower legs, but middle took a time to shift, partly due to the swelling from the surgery. Having had to eventually replace almost all my clothes, finally my bras are getting loose.

Also think whether the weather will be suitable for the time you are able to wear it. I am all for buying new clothes as a goal, but wouldn't risk something that had to match top and bottom just yet.

I had a big motivation to do that journey. I was saying goodbye to my daughter who emigrated to New Zealand last Saturday. :( Not sure I would have tried it otherwise! By the way, I went out for my first short walk (walking is an issue anyway because of my knees) after 2 weeks. Some have done it a lot earlier than that, and it does make you feel better. Otherwise cabin fever sets in!!
Hugs Sam you have been through huge turmoil with your daughter leaving to go to New Zealand. Thankfully with Skype and Internet these days the world is such a smaller place. Contact can be daily for free not like years ago. When you are at goal would you aim to visit her? You would need one of those name tags as she would not recognize the young woman walking towards her :) she is on her journey in life and you have started yours and you are doing so well with huge loss already. That's great you are getting out one step more at a time and it soon builds up.
Yes you are right about the clothes and I will get them cheaper in the sales lol. I didn't think about the stomach swelling after the op! Yes that takes time to come down too. I am so happy looking forward to op one minute then down the next worrying will I survive that I can't wait to get it over with now. I will take my own advice one day at a time.

Want2b3

If you can find Arla Best of Both milk (yellow label and my Tesco does it) it is a skimmed milk that has more protein in than normal milk, and also tastes like semi without the fat. They also do high protein yoghurts and cottage cheese. I too have warmed up my chocolate Slimfast and my protein shakes for a hot chocolate. Many people find warm foods go down easier.

A lot of people said all milky coffee was good on pre-op and post-op as it held off the pre-op hunger pangs, if you like or can drink coffee. Too much for me and I get cystitis. :(
Ooh I will look for Arla thanks Sam. Glad slim fast warm is nice looking forward to it.

Want2b3

best of luck... from a September Sleever. The op is a blip in time and recovery is rapid - here i am two months later with great health and three stone less than the start of LRD.
Ahhh thank you Rose this is very reassuring. Well done on your loss and glad you found it all ok.

Dollydot

Hi Dollydot hugs to you. I understand have been through your journey with huge loses and unable to maintain several times. I know I am scared too and I can't say it will be all ok as it is unknown? Do you have any other medical conditions that could effect it? I have many and hence my fears also of course the very high BMI. Thankfully this LSD has brought it down a few points nearer to mid 40s and no longer 50! Are you on LRD too? how is it going? Have you started to get things ready unlike me!

HI Want2b3. Thanks for the hugs, I need them badly! My BMI is 38 and luckily I don't really have any other health issues apart from slightly high blood pressure. I had an angiogram in may due to chest pain but they ruled out any problems with heart or arteries, thank goodness! I was then sent for endoscopy ( which was horrendous) they found a very small hiatus hernia and grade 1reflux. Reflux controlled with Omeperazole and they don't want to do anything with hernia. The clinic i'm going to doesn't give you a specific LRD diet but obviously says nothing high sugar high fat content. I've been eating chicken salad a lot ,drinking plenty of water and have cut out all the bad stuff , from next week i'm doing Slim Fast shakes. I can't seem to get anything ready for after the op I feel sort of stuck at the moment as if its not really happening so just taking it day by day. I really must start thinking about what im taking with me or it'll be the 14th and I won't even of packed my bag!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ladies. I also have surgery booked for November and am going to Brno to be sleeved. I decided two years ago that I wanted this operation as ive spent years yoyo dieting, I did manage to lose 4 stone at one point but inevitably put it back on plus a few pounds extra !!! I have never been able to maintain any weight loss so I feel this is my only hope. Its taken me two years to save for the surgery, in that time ive done my research and feel confident that its the right thing to do. I am terrified of the surgery though and can barely let myself think about it, not the actual operation just that something will go wrong. Now im crying AGAIN. Anyway im glad I found this site and have loved reading the success stories. GOOD LUCK for your surgeries
OOOOh dont be upset Dollydot; be excited. Its the start of a new life. We're all in the same boat and all here to support each other and compare notes. What date is your surgery?

Thanks for the encouragement and support. And well done you, thats a fantastic loss in short time!

Dollydot

OOOOh dont be upset Dollydot; be excited. Its the start of a new life. We're all in the same boat and all here to support each other and compare notes. What date is your surgery?

Thanks, i'm excited one minute scared the next, I am a crier and it doesn't take much to set me off but yes I am sooo looking forward to a new life. I have been fat for way too long and can't wait to be slim again. My surgery is booked for the 15th November. I see yours is on the 8th, is anyone going with you to Belgium?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rose2016

@Dollydot - the anticipation is far worse than the reality. I am a massive worrier and crier too so completely understand the 'do I / don't I?' Recurring self torture.

The one thing that made me determined was to count up how much weight I had lost in my many many diets. Then I realised that despite having lost all that weight I had put it all (and more) back on again.

I concluded that the only way to stop this vicious cycle was to stop it piling back on once and for all. I needed a permanent solutythat I could not trick myself out of. I needed a bypass or sleeve.

I know this is new to me and I'm always so enthused when diets are going well- but it is different this time. I have cut out a perfectly healthy part of my body so it is extreme. There is no going back.

Want2b3

@Dollydot - the anticipation is far worse than the reality. I am a massive worrier and crier too so completely understand the 'do I / don't I?' Recurring self torture.

The one thing that made me determined was to count up how much weight I had lost in my many many diets. Then I realised that despite having lost all that weight I had put it all (and more) back on again.

I concluded that the only way to stop this vicious cycle was to stop it piling back on once and for all. I needed a permanent solutythat I could not trick myself out of. I needed a bypass or sleeve.

I know this is new to me and I'm always so enthused when diets are going well- but it is different this time. I have cut out a perfectly healthy part of my body so it is extreme. There is no going back.
Rose what you have written is what has been going through my mind. I have been adding up the lbs lost which I am talking 3 people's weight and then putting on more. I believe it is an addiction that is sadly not recognosised like other addictions so support is not their in society hence these places are so precious.

I to know deep down it is 100% the right thing to do these wobbles happen to the most of us. Thank you for sharing it really helps. I hope too I can be in your shoes sharing helping others in 7 weeks.

@Dollydot I spent most my last 14 years feeling a loser being like this. Losing now will make us winners in so many ways health, confidence, relationships, work and play. The upset one minute great and crying next is normal it is part of the biggest battles we have in life is with our own selves. If you write down the pros and cons you will have one very long list and one very short one like I did. Can't believe I am giving support when 2 days ago in a mess.....but this is how it is.

JakkiD

Just had a total panic meltdown, i know everyone says ill wake up and i probably will, but we know theres no 110% guarantee, I dont know if I can do it, genuinely, if I let them put me to sleep what if thats it, if all goes ok my kids get extra years with me, which is my main motivation, but I keep thinking its now they need me, i got so scared i could barely breathe, its passed a bit now but needed to rant to people who understand, sorry to hijack this post x

SAM55

Just had a total panic meltdown, i know everyone says ill wake up and i probably will, but we know theres no 110% guarantee, I dont know if I can do it, genuinely, if I let them put me to sleep what if thats it, if all goes ok my kids get extra years with me, which is my main motivation, but I keep thinking its now they need me, i got so scared i could barely breathe, its passed a bit now but needed to rant to people who understand, sorry to hijack this post x
I too had fears of not waking up, but for different reasons. What helped me was to check out my surgeon's fatality rate on the hospital/NHS website, and it was zero. I felt ok after that.

JakkiD

I too had fears of not waking up, but for different reasons. What helped me was to check out my surgeon's fatality rate on the hospital/NHS website, and it was zero. I felt ok after that.
Thank you so much, bit embarrassed that as a nurse I didnt know you could do this Readmission rate less than 1% mortalities zero x