• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

November 2016 Surgeries

Dollydot

Rose what you have written is what has been going through my mind. I have been adding up the lbs lost which I am talking 3 people's weight and then putting on more. I believe it is an addiction that is sadly not recognosised like other addictions so support is not their in society hence these places are so precious.

I to know deep down it is 100% the right thing to do these wobbles happen to the most of us. Thank you for sharing it really helps. I hope too I can be in your shoes sharing helping others in 7 weeks.

@Dollydot I spent most my last 14 years feeling a loser being like this. Losing now will make us winners in so many ways health, confidence, relationships, work and play. The upset one minute great and crying next is normal it is part of the biggest battles we have in life is with our own selves. If you write down the pros and cons you will have one very long list and one very short one like I did. Can't believe I am giving support when 2 days ago in a mess.....but this is how it is.
Want2b3 the pros and cons list is a fantastic idea, thankyou, along with @Rose2016 idea of adding up weight lost over the years, thankyou. I do know that this is 100% what I need to do, i'm 52 so have been dieting forever and need to have control over my eating so I see this as my last hope really. I just wish the dreaded operation part was over.@JakkiD bless you I totally understand that feeling of utter panic.

SAM55

HI Want2b3. Thanks for the hugs, I need them badly! My BMI is 38 and luckily I don't really have any other health issues apart from slightly high blood pressure. I had an angiogram in may due to chest pain but they ruled out any problems with heart or arteries, thank goodness! I was then sent for endoscopy ( which was horrendous) they found a very small hiatus hernia and grade 1reflux. Reflux controlled with Omeperazole and they don't want to do anything with hernia. The clinic i'm going to doesn't give you a specific LRD diet but obviously says nothing high sugar high fat content. I've been eating chicken salad a lot ,drinking plenty of water and have cut out all the bad stuff , from next week i'm doing Slim Fast shakes. I can't seem to get anything ready for after the op I feel sort of stuck at the moment as if its not really happening so just taking it day by day. I really must start thinking about what im taking with me or it'll be the 14th and I won't even of packed my bag!

What to take in

Useful to take - a mouth freshener spray as your mouth will be very dry when you wake up and you won't be able to have a sip of water for about 24 hours
lip salve - as your lips can dry quickly
mobile phone and charger
I found pj's better than nightie as there was the gap in the middle. Make sure they are loose as you will be full of gas and anything tight will rub on your scars. Don't take loads as most of your time will be spent in a hospital gown
usual wash kit
a cushion to hold against your wound when travelling by car
some light reading
dressing gown
slippers
knickers
loose clothes for travelling

For when you come out

Lots of milk
Slimfast
Marvel
a non fibrous laxative
A-Z vitamins - soluble or chewable (not sure if private will provide these)
soluble pain killers (not sure if private will provide these)

Rose2016

I took all of the above and an iPad filled with movies and spent 98 per cent of my time asleep.

Don't panic about the operation- it's a blip that you just have to get through. Focus on life afterwards.

Thanks, i'm excited one minute scared the next, I am a crier and it doesn't take much to set me off but yes I am sooo looking forward to a new life. I have been fat for way too long and can't wait to be slim again. My surgery is booked for the 15th November. I see yours is on the 8th, is anyone going with you to Belgium?
Hi , yes I am going with a friend who is a Belgian. She is a big believer in the health care in Belgium being amongst the best in the world, which is why I decided upon having my surgery there. Her daughter had a bypass in Belgium last year but not by the same surgeon. She looks amazing now. To be honest I'd prefer to be on my own as I dont want to feel that I have to keep someone occupied. I want to be able to just sleep and relax without worrying about anyone else. So, the day of the op she will travel to her daughters (30 mins away by train) but will be on hand if needed. She will travel back to accompany me back to the UK 3 days after the op.

starryeyed

Thanks for the advise, I'll take heed. Is it necessary to get food in before I go for the op or will I be well enough to go out food shopping afterwards. Just that Im not sure what to get. Any pointers??
Stock up for the first few days, milk, low fat custards, soups, low carb protein drinks but you don't need to worry so much about protein the first couple of weeks as it's time for you to heal. Avoid fresh stuff if someone isn't eating with you as most of it ends up in the bin x

Stock up for the first few days, milk, low fat custards, soups, low carb protein drinks but you don't need to worry so much about protein the first couple of weeks as it's time for you to heal. Avoid fresh stuff if someone isn't eating with you as most of it ends up in the bin x
Thanks again for that. Congrats on your massive loss so far. Youre doing great!

Turps

Just want to say good luck to all your November surgery people.

I'm just over 5 weeks post op now, but can still remember how nervous I was in the run up to my surgery and all the worries and uncertainties I had afterwards. But I feel good now, so just think, you could be the one writing that in a month or so to the January people.

Just want to say good luck to all your November surgery people.

I'm just over 5 weeks post op now, but can still remember how nervous I was in the run up to my surgery and all the worries and uncertainties I had afterwards. But I feel good now, so just think, you could be the one writing that in a month or so to the January people.
Thanks for the encouragement and of course youre absolutely right. Cant tell you how good it is to have this support network, its like a whole new family!! Congrats on your success so far by the way

maggy

Hi All! Great to see new Novemberites :0) I've just found out how to do hugs on the typewriter. So hugs to you all ({ })
Thinking of you, Want2b3. Glad the LRD is working well. Must admit that I didn't like it much last time but was on the milk and yogurt version. Having been on this site I've learned that you can also do a meat and leaves version - lean meat (chicken or fish) and veg or salad. Feels much more normal. And its reminiscent of what a personal trainer had me doing when I tried once to lose weight via exercise. He was the one who called it the Meat and Leaves diet - I could eat anything that could fly, run or swim and that you could pluck it from a plant growing in the ground or in my case pluck from the shelves in the veg section! ;0) The exercise was great but I didn't lose much weight - became strong and healthy but didn't keep it up when I moved to a new city for work. Tried dancing for a while - great for meeting OHs - but then I met my OH and got too busy with him and work. And he's not really a dancer :0( But is lovely anyway :0)

Dollydot

Hi , yes I am going with a friend who is a Belgian. She is a big believer in the health care in Belgium being amongst the best in the world, which is why I decided upon having my surgery there. Her daughter had a bypass in Belgium last year but not by the same surgeon. She looks amazing now. To be honest I'd prefer to be on my own as I dont want to feel that I have to keep someone occupied. I want to be able to just sleep and relax without worrying about anyone else. So, the day of the op she will travel to her daughters (30 mins away by train) but will be on hand if needed. She will travel back to accompany me back to the UK 3 days after the op.
Hi wannbe, I heard good things too about health care system in Belgium and considered going there myself for surgery. I decided though to go to Brno as a friend of mine had her Sleeve there and said the care she received was excellent, also a bit cheaper than Belgium which was a plus for me. I'm going on my own, if my husband came with me he'd make my anxiety worse and it's bad enough already! It's nice that your friend will be travelling home with you though, are you flying back the same day of discharge from clinic?

Turps

Thanks for the encouragement and of course youre absolutely right. Cant tell you how good it is to have this support network, its like a whole new family!! Congrats on your success so far by the way

Thank you.

I have to agree about the support network, and I think the monthly surgery sticky posts are a fantastic idea. I know I got so much reassurance from reading and interacting with the people going through their ops at the same time as me.

Good luck!

SAM55

Thanks for the advise, I'll take heed. Is it necessary to get food in before I go for the op or will I be well enough to go out food shopping afterwards. Just that Im not sure what to get. Any pointers??
Very unlikely you will feel like going out for a week or so, and you won't be able to lift anything heavier than a half filled kettle anyway. You should be on high protein liquids for two weeks, unless your provider tells you otherwise. Have they not given you a diet sheet for the different stages?

MrsN

Hi can I join?
I'm having a sleeve on 11th November in Manchester. I've so many emotions right now but trying to focus on what will be a new me!

maggy

Welcome MrsN! Everyone is welcome here. :0) I'm with you on the range of emotions. I've been reading and rereading all the info from the consultant on diet etc. Not sure if it helps or makes me panic more. Lol. Hi Maria61! Hope you get that date soon.