• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

November 2016 Surgeries

You can't avoid carbs though completely @jeff20stone.
I'm only asking as with a protein shake and 200ml soup I'm at 37g already. Obviously when I don't need the shakes anymore and on proper food it will then be high protein low carb.

I'm only asking as with a protein shake and 200ml soup I'm at 37g already. Obviously when I don't need the shakes anymore and on proper food it will then be high protein low carb.
I got told off by dietitian for not eating enough carbs last week, as I was focusing on the protein too much! Apparently I wasn't getting enough roughage and hence the constipation. :(

I haven't got my head around logging any figures yet, I am only a week out but struggling to eat any real planned meals (by planned I mean set out as protein, veg & carbs) and really don't fancy anything that is pureed TBH. I am just grazing on maybe 3 main foods each day and the odd snack but couldn't tell you how many grams of anything it equals.

Have you got my fitness Pal @AndyMc1978 i find it really helpful

Omg just blended a tiny piece of lasagne - had 6 teaspoons and it was heaven!!

natural carbs are good and are part of healthy eating
The advice given to me was to avoid bread sugar rice and pasta
Total agreement high protein low carbs and keep hydrated

I haven't got my head around logging any figures yet, I am only a week out but struggling to eat any real planned meals (by planned I mean set out as protein, veg & carbs) and really don't fancy anything that is pureed TBH. I am just grazing on maybe 3 main foods each day and the odd snack but couldn't tell you how many grams of anything it equals.
when you say grazing do you mean solid food a week after surgery ??

For those that have moved onto soft food what are you all eating? I'm there on Friday so just thinking about meal plans.

@jeff20stone - thanks. I've quite a few meal plans in my book ready for my shop Thursday night but curious as to what others are having? Though maybe nobody is at that stage yet.

For those that have moved onto soft food what are you all eating? I'm there on Friday so just thinking about meal plans.
Hi @MrsN I am on soft but can't have anything with milk so yummy cauliflower cheese is out for me but a good bet from others here! I have fish with cabbage and juice from water to mash it up or chicken casserole mashed up. Would love lasagna o_O but it's out for now! So anything you can mash with a fork basically but get protein in first carbs last with some veg! Soirée not much help as can only eat bland food at the mement! But cottage pie etc all soft and most things in slow cooker.

Things seem to be quietening down on here!

I've just had my first costa americano since my op and I'm not sure I like it! Think I'll be sticking to tea!

Purée is going ok, made a bolognese yesterday and I think it's the first time we had sat as a family to eat and hubby and the kids were shocked at the small amount I was having!

I found some sugar free angel delight in Tesco and have that as a snack along with custard or jelly.

Things seem to be quietening down on here!

I've just had my first costa americano since my op and I'm not sure I like it! Think I'll be sticking to tea!

Purée is going ok, made a bolognese yesterday and I think it's the first time we had sat as a family to eat and hubby and the kids were shocked at the small amount I was having!

I found some sugar free angel delight in Tesco and have that as a snack along with custard or jelly.
@Chill sounds like your doing fab and lovely I bet to sit down and eat same as family.
Most people like myself start our own diaries when we reach certain posts. I don't like to moan on a thread where people are ready for surgery hence been a bit quiet here.
I feel like I am starting again with foods...all that I liked pre op except tea I don't like anymore and things like banana that would give me heartburn at ten paces I love now! I follow the rule of try one food at a time to see if you like/agrees with digestive system. My list of likable food are all opposite to what I ate in old days, now love salmon, haddock, mackerel and sardines!!! Thankfully what I now love is high protein phewie! Have not wanted a coffee either!

@Chill ive been mainly have meals my family have.
But just now I've just had smokey bacon baked beans, cooked chicken and cheese blended into a purée and OMG it was delicious. I weighed and measured each ingredient and it made probably 3 portions at 146 cals and 11.8g of protein. Had 9 teaspoons so able to have a little more than I had been but feel VERY full now. Lush though. Hope it's ok to have that? My diet book suggests it.

Aww poor thing. @jeff20stone i know there will always be those that have adverse symptoms after surgery. I guess the only real advice you can give is to speak to her team / A&E etc.

Soft diet today, does it sound daft to say im scared to go back on normal foods? Ive obviously got everything intention of making the most of the opportunity ive been given but Im scared as I move onto more normal diet, old habits may creep back, just venting really x

Back