• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

On the road to a sleeved life.

On a completely different note, I am seriously struggling with going on this journey all by myself.

I’ve tried to discuss it with friends.
One said: ah! You are really not that overweight are you? (Morbidly obese does not seem to count).
The other has their own particular views on eating and calorie allowances. (I.e. being extremely restrictive - without surgery)
Yet another keeps sending me pictures and videos of her overindulging in food, not the healthy kind.

I have talked about it with family and half of them think it’s too drastic, the other half is scared of me having surgery.

Maybe it’s me and I’m projecting but so far, if I would have to make an executive summary of their opinions, it would read: do not have surgery.

I cannot find anybody around me that I can bounce the pros and cons around with and who can provide support.
This is such a sensitive and dividing subject/area. For me but also for people around me it seems.

This very long waiting time is wreaking havoc, mentally.
I would love to go and hide away till the day of surgery.

That said, I wish I had followed through with my first plan, 2.5 years ago and had the surgery abroad.

Has anybody else been waiting this long? How do you stay in a positive headspace without letting everybody’s opinions (friends, family and professionals) run riot in your head?

On a completely different note, I am seriously struggling with going on this journey all by myself.

I’ve tried to discuss it with friends.
One said: ah! You are really not that overweight are you? (Morbidly obese does not seem to count).
The other has their own particular views on eating and calorie allowances. (I.e. being extremely restrictive - without surgery)
Yet another keeps sending me pictures and videos of her overindulging in food, not the healthy kind.

I have talked about it with family and half of them think it’s too drastic, the other half is scared of me having surgery.

Maybe it’s me and I’m projecting but so far, if I would have to make an executive summary of their opinions, it would read: do not have surgery.

I cannot find anybody around me that I can bounce the pros and cons around with and who can provide support.
This is such a sensitive and dividing subject/area. For me but also for people around me it seems.

This very long waiting time is wreaking havoc, mentally.
I would love to go and hide away till the day of surgery.

That said, I wish I had followed through with my first plan, 2.5 years ago and had the surgery abroad.

Has anybody else been waiting this long? How do you stay in a positive headspace without letting everybody’s opinions (friends, family and professionals) run riot in your head?
I am sorry you are having such a hard time. The NHS route is a struggle but it will be worth it I promise you. I had surgery at Luton 5 months ago and now realise how lucky I was. I had my first appointment in June 2016 and surgery in September 2017. I hope your turn comes round before too much longer. We are all here to help and support you, good luck xxx

I'm happy to have a chat if you want. We are both in London. You can see me and my positives (along with the struggles) and have someone to bounce thoughts off.

I am comfortable with only my partner knowing as I didn't want friends and family to talk me out of it. I don't regret that one bit.

Thanks for the support guys.

I know it will be worth it.
But bloody hell, this is a PhD in patience .

@slimkim thanks for the offer! Might take you up on that. Can we send private messages? Haven’t found that function yet.

Last edited:
I don't know how to send private messages. I've been looking around my profile but I can't figure it out. If you figure it out let me know.

Done. Let me know if you got it.

Back