• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Oodles' Weekly Weigh In

Hi Beep!

I don’t have measurements but he said he would be taking away about a third of my legs. The scar will go below the knee so yes he’ll be taking away some calf sloppiness; similarly my arms below the elbow.

I’ve always been leg-heavy so I know most of my weight is still carried there. It’s really hard to shave my legs cos the skin is so loose and it just hangs there in folds. I can’t wait to hear how much he takes away.

He seems to be happy with skin removal and no lipo on the legs - he’s a perfectionist and also asked if he could remove a bobble of skin from between my boobs just so it’s perfect. So i’m Happy to trust him in his decision :)

So legs and arm together were approx ten thousand? I’m looking at legs and tummy or belt as I have a huge shelf above me butt

Yep indeedy. After that my backside is the only thing left. He offered me the belt for my first op but while I have the backside of an 85 year old man, when the skin is pulled away there is literally nothing left there!! I need the skin to fill my jeans lol! Once i’m Recovered i’ll Try to get to the gym and get squatting. Perhaps if i’m Able to build up some muscle i’ll get it sorted then :)

Also I was concerned about the recovery for the belt - I couldn’t figure out how i’d be able to bend at all without pulling myself apart! I was hunched over for weeks with my stomach op, I couldn’t imagine how that would work with stitches all the way round! That said he does do them so they must work :) Just a bit scary for me!

Ooh speaking of which I noticed last week my nipple had torn a little bit. No idea how that happened as I didn’t feel anything, just saw a hole at the incision. Keeping it covered with a normal fabric plaster and it’s scabbed over fine but a bit random after all this time! Started wearing a bra in bed again to restrict movement. Now the swelling’s gone the skin is a lot looser when i’m on my side so perhaps I tore it in bed or something. Who knows! I’m not worried about it but it just reminded me i’m Still recovering. My swelling baby is still there but could be for around a year!

Did he give you an idea of how much a belt would cost

No, but he did say he couldn’t do the belt and the boobs at the same time cos i’d be under for too long. He’s all for combining procedures to keep costs down but said he didn’t want it to be for more than 5h at a time. Both ops were roughly similar costs (the last one and upcoming) as they were both all-day procedures.

Booked in for a meeting In November to find out what’s best I have 10k to reduce skin on legs and 360 lift unsure if it will happen at that

When we’re you booked in

How do you mean? I had to change my first op date a few times and I had to wait a few months each time as I needed a full day. When I told him in Aug I wanted arms and legs doing I was just like: book me in now so I can plan stuff. And we found a date in Nov. I chose end of Nov but it’s possible I could have gotten in earlier if i’d Have wanted. I don’t think there’s a long waiting list, my circumstances were a bit awkward which is why I had to wait :)

Ok, thank you
Just got back and he can’t do middle and legs at same time. He’s recommended middle first then legs 4-6 months down the line. I need to go for another appointment to work out a full plan and inclusive price.

Yes however wondering how it will fit in with work

Well, second surgery was Monday. Extended arm and thigh lift. At first I thought it was so much worse than the first! Bleeding, pain... My right arm is really swollen as the sun is pulled so tight it's created like a tourniquet effect. My arm's and hand are still swollen but no longer blue!

I came home yesterday. I realised I'm not actually in any pain but because everything is so tight it's difficult to walk. I did manage stairs last night and this morning! Trying not to move very much anyway to minimise pulling and tearing. I considered taking no paracetamol this morning but did anyway. Slept well... Bit nervous for my wound check next week as I think it's gonna be messy!

Also these compression garments aren't fun - took me and two nurses to get me into the leggings lol! There's a strategic hole for going to the loo but I feel minging! Also I can't put deodorant on cos of the vest covering my arms. Glamour!

Well, second surgery was Monday. Extended arm and thigh lift. At first I thought it was so much worse than the first! Bleeding, pain... My right arm is really swollen as the sun is pulled so tight it's created like a tourniquet effect. My arm's and hand are still swollen but no longer blue!

I came home yesterday. I realised I'm not actually in any pain but because everything is so tight it's difficult to walk. I did manage stairs last night and this morning! Trying not to move very much anyway to minimise pulling and tearing. I considered taking no paracetamol this morning but did anyway. Slept well... Bit nervous for my wound check next week as I think it's gonna be messy!

Also these compression garments aren't fun - took me and two nurses to get me into the leggings lol! There's a strategic hole for going to the loo but I feel minging! Also I can't put deodorant on cos of the vest covering my arms. Glamour!
Take it easy and rest plenty. Time is a great healer

One week out folks!

Arms: no issues at all. Swelling 95 percent gone now. You would never be able to tell unless you knew, that a week ago it was fit to burst. The compression garments are peeing me right off and I've had to modify how I wear them to minimise itching. My arms are still covered but the bra part has had to be undone and wrapped in my arm pits in order to stop the dressings tickling me. Working well so far! Can't wait to get these dressings changed on weds tho! Have washed my hair over the kitchen sink this week and can basically look after myself now. Pain levels entirely minimal. Still taking paracetamol but only for anti inflammatory reasons.

Legs: still tight but getting easier every day. Again no pain and still very slow walking and on stairs, but not bad at all. Legs are definitely the worst part of this, not least because I hate the compression garments there too! Calves so itchy with the rubber grips. My calves and forearms are covered with dressings to minimise the rubbing from the ends of the garments. Getting on and off sofas are the worst bits thus far. Also on legs the incision goes right into the groin which means there are dressings right *there. Very difficult to keep clean, I've covered mine with a waterproof tegaderm otherwise I'm pretty sure there would be an odour issue as I can't change them!

This is definitely a learning curve in personal hygiene. I can't wait for week 8 when I can take these garments off and burn them! But for a week out I'm not doing too badly at all. Will update after dressing change on Wednesday...

One week out folks!

Arms: no issues at all. Swelling 95 percent gone now. You would never be able to tell unless you knew, that a week ago it was fit to burst. The compression garments are peeing me right off and I've had to modify how I wear them to minimise itching. My arms are still covered but the bra part has had to be undone and wrapped in my arm pits in order to stop the dressings tickling me. Working well so far! Can't wait to get these dressings changed on weds tho! Have washed my hair over the kitchen sink this week and can basically look after myself now. Pain levels entirely minimal. Still taking paracetamol but only for anti inflammatory reasons.

Legs: still tight but getting easier every day. Again no pain and still very slow walking and on stairs, but not bad at all. Legs are definitely the worst part of this, not least because I hate the compression garments there too! Calves so itchy with the rubber grips. My calves and forearms are covered with dressings to minimise the rubbing from the ends of the garments. Getting on and off sofas are the worst bits thus far. Also on legs the incision goes right into the groin which means there are dressings right *there. Very difficult to keep clean, I've covered mine with a waterproof tegaderm otherwise I'm pretty sure there would be an odour issue as I can't change them!

This is definitely a learning curve in personal hygiene. I can't wait for week 8 when I can take these garments off and burn them! But for a week out I'm not doing too badly at all. Will update after dressing change on Wednesday...
I feel for you it all sound so uncomfortable but glad your doing well in general, keep up the good work xxx

Conquered arm itching but got over confident and was a bit too active today, now my arms have swollen a bit! Dammit! Easy day tomorrow :) then Christmas markets on Thursday. Easy day Friday and potential pub on Saturday!!

Although I'm not taking any real drugs at the moment I'm on a health kick and trying to stay off the beverages! Also making the most of this and being so good with food. Although I did have a chocolate biscuit today. But in general, been very good!

Hi Oodles,
I have been reading through all your journey and found it was like reading a book that you just can't put down! I am booked in for a bypass on the 20th. I was once 22st 8 and lost 11 stone in 2006. Had a band fitted 4 years ago at 15st 9 and have had no success with it whatsoever. I'm struggling to get my weight back down again and have been yo-yoing a lot. I'm now around 17 stone. Like you, I'm also tall and had a fluer-de-lys abdominoplasty in 2007. When I gain weight, it doesn't really go on my stomach area- it ends up on my back and I have a fat back! I also had an arm lift 2 years ago. My thighs, boobs and bum also need doing. It's been great to read your journey as a lot of what you discuss totally resonates with my own journey (especially about the boy/dating). Good luck with your recovery and I look forward to following the rest of your journey.

Hi Missyme,

Best of luck on your journey! I am really making a conscious effort now to be good and stay off carbs and eat well. It's so hard as I haven't been able to weigh myself since June as I know the swelling will take months to go down. I still have my swelling baby from my tummy tuck. I admit since my op in July I've been eating and drinking whatever I wanted but after I found a sorry I wore in January is now too tight it's given me the poke I need to sort myself out! Tough when I still won't be able to weigh for months but just going to go by clothes fittings now. I'm looking forward to being able to exercise and do stuff! The boy and I are talking about moving in together next year and joining a local gym. I feel it would be good to have a buddy to force me to go once the initial excitement wears off!

In surgery related news I braved changing the tape today. All looking good apart from my right arm which is a bit bloody but to be expected with the dominant arm. Going to keep the tape on as long as possible as I'm pretty sure pulling it off removed some scabs! Really pleased with how recovery is going two weeks in. Went out on a night out on Saturday, was good! But I was very stiff yesterday so taking it easy today and not leaving the house.

Movement much better today, feeling like I'm walking less like a penguin! I look forward to sleeping on my side again one day!

Hi, glad to hear all is going well with your recovery and I'm sure your weight will only be swelling. I remember feeling amazed that after having all the skin cut off that I was no lighter post-surgery! When I did a little research, I found it was due to the body's reaction to GA and tissue damage through surgery. This apparently sends the body into defense mode and it clings onto fluid etc. It takes many weeks to start letting go again. I had 7lb off my tum and 6 off my arms and wasn't any lighter! The tummy was the hardest op (the girdle and 45 degree stoop!). I found Sanex good for washing with. The bonus to the arm op is that sweat glands were removed and I only have a very small area that grows a tuft of hair. I bought some iodine patches from the chemist for bits that looked a bit red - mainly the armpit bit which is tricky because if it’s position/movement. If you’re going to remove tape, do it when it’s wet as it will remove easier and won’t pull scabs. I don’t think I had much tape just dressings under the lovely elasticated sleeves... spandex at its best!

Have you found your appetite/amount/variety of food has increased since your early op days? I hope mine never returns to what it is now! I have a bottomless pit! Great news about the impending ‘moving in together’. Thats where my weight problems re-surfaced! Happily chomping away together on cosy nights in. Keep us updated. Your posts are great to read! Xx

Back