• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

People over 30 stone pre op

Just wanted to say hi and dont give up, I experienced a very unprofessional doc/nurse when I was 1 reffered over three yrs ago I told him to stuff it basically. Which now I regret after three more years of health problems and trying to loose weight any which way you can I once again went to my gp for refferal. I did see the same person but it was like he had,had a personality change he said he didnt remember me and tried to convince me I had not seen him that I seen the female version (im not blind or stupid) but I just agreed and smiled was good watching him squirm. anyway to cut a long story short I was put through for surgery and I am now waiting for a gastric sleeve, which I will be most grateful of when it happens. Dont give up keep on fighting hun xx

Thank you :) I sometimes think why am I the one who has been let down so many times, I have even got upset when I have seen friends half my size get it so easily.. I of course am more happy for them (still feel a cow for being upset over it)

Well apparently I have a while to wait for surgery but they will do other things to help me, Gloucestershire apparently take their time with people as they want to make sure they are ready for what ever help they give them.

I hope you get your help soon :) x

The preparation is good to be honest. I prepared myself for a year before my op and still had a waiting list even though I was private because I wanted it done a specific hospital with a specific surgeon. I did everything I could to learn in that year but It was still a massive shock to the system how much life changes. so take all the help and preparation you can get in the mean time because it will pay off after and make you more successful in the long run :) x

Last edited:
Another man here...

started at just under 36 Stone, 9 Months post op. I am now just under 25 Stone :)

Hi shazzy,

I was 31st 6lbs at my biggest in Aug 2009 and tried desperatly for 2yrs to get it down. I requested funding in May 2010 and tried the process of surgery in April 2011 but unfortunately didnt feel strong enough. I tried again from Oct 2011 and had my op last May.
I'm 21st 10lbs today and was 29st 3lbs in Feb last year.

All the best on your journey x

hello im 30st 4lb and am having the gastric wrap in may this year hope to share my journey with all of you it can be very lonely when theres nobody around you that understands what your going through etc. xxx

Hi shazzy

I was 32 stone 3lb at my heaviest I got down to 27.10 on my own but am now back up to 29 stone as of this morning, I'm still pre-op my surgery will be June/July it just can't come soo. Enough, I'm going to be trying my hardest to get my weight down before surgery I'd like to get down to 23 stone before then just because I want to make the surgery safer I'm really scared I'm going to die if they operate while I'm this size

Good luck with your journey, I hope you get your op soon x

Hi shazzy,

I was 31st 6lbs at my biggest in Aug 2009 and tried desperatly for 2yrs to get it down. I requested funding in May 2010 and tried the process of surgery in April 2011 but unfortunately didnt feel strong enough. I tried again from Oct 2011 and had my op last May.
I'm 21st 10lbs today and was 29st 3lbs in Feb last year.

All the best on your journey x

Well done you! What sort of OP did you have?

hello im 30st 4lb and am having the gastric wrap in may this year hope to share my journey with all of you it can be very lonely when theres nobody around you that understands what your going through etc. xxx

Totally, not many people know what it is like being on the plus side of plus size. I wish you really good luck for this may.
I had never heard of the wrap before coming on here, it looks like an amazing procedure, the fact it can be reversed and altered more than any other is really forward thinking. x

Hi shazzy

I was 32 stone 3lb at my heaviest I got down to 27.10 on my own but am now back up to 29 stone as of this morning, I'm still pre-op my surgery will be June/July it just can't come soo. Enough, I'm going to be trying my hardest to get my weight down before surgery I'd like to get down to 23 stone before then just because I want to make the surgery safer I'm really scared I'm going to die if they operate while I'm this size

Good luck with your journey, I hope you get your op soon x

It is such a scary thing having surgery for anyone, even more when they tell you, your weight makes it harder and thats the reason you are having it, so you dont weigh as much.. I would say possibly try getting fitter, as I believe the less weight you are, but also the healthier your heart is, the better chances you have! I am sure you will be totally fine though :)
I lost 5 stone last year in 4 months and have put that 5 stone back on in the last year. I hope I can sort that out.. x

Good on you! do you feel so much better for it?

Well yes and no.

I am a lot more mobile and suffer less health issues...

But I find myself hating my body more than I did when I was bigger.

I am still fat, but now I have a lot of loose skin too.

Well yes and no.

I am a lot more mobile and suffer less health issues...

But I find myself hating my body more than I did when I was bigger.

I am still fat, but now I have a lot of loose skin too.

True I can understand with clothes on, people would think you have never been a bigger guy, can you not at some point have some of the skin removed?
I did actually learn recently also men's skin doesn't stretch back as much as a woman's does, something to do with oestrogen.
I know even with skin removed it will never be the same as if you were never a big guy, but just think, now you have been on your journey you have learnt so much more and appreciate life and ups and downs way more than someone who had an easy life with food and weight.. x

Hello and welcome! It's lovely here, everyone's very supportive.

I started at just over 27st and am now just over 18st. I feel fantastic, and even if I don't lose another pound, I am very grateful for my surgery and very very happy at my current weight. I think it's important to go in with the right expectations. I never thought I would be 'skinny', and the surgeons told me as much too. I have surpassed their predictions already which is fab.

All the best to you, I look forward to following your journey x

This may sound horrible but it's not in my nature ro settle - I am aiming to get to healthy though not necessarily skinny. Will admit that causes me grief someways though.

This may sound horrible but it's not in my nature ro settle - I am aiming to get to healthy though not necessarily skinny. Will admit that causes me grief someways though.

You are doing fantastically well!! You rock!

I don't feel I've settled. I am healthy. My BP is consistently perfect these days, my blood tests are fine, I have no other health issues due to obesity, and I feel fantastic. Of course I aim to lose more, but I don't put myself under pressure or make myself feel bad or guilty for not being skinny. Losing 9 stone and keeping it off is a fantastic achievement.

I agree with everything you've said ! But can't seemed adopt that mindset for myself lol. And I would give your advice to anyone who asked. Funny how our minds works

I agree with everything you've said ! But can't seemed adopt that mindset for myself lol. And I would give your advice to anyone who asked. Funny how our minds works

My body just stopped losing, certainly at a rapid pace, at some point. And it didn't upset me. Some weeks I lose a little, others I don't. And it's ok. But if you can and want to keep going, all kudos to you! Your body has other plans :)

Thank you - but I must say I really admire your attitude. I hope I'll move towards it as I get further out.

Yes I agree with you, people shout things at me in the street, it can be in the small village I live in, as soon as I leave my house, but to get it from a professional who is there to help people with weight loss is an entirely different thing, I was just so shocked, I have been put down all my life.. But you never expect it from doctors or surgeons

One doctor that I went to for help about my weight told me that I looked like a gorilla. I was so shocked and upset that I didn't react at the time.
Oh how I wish that he said that to me today! He'd find himself picking up his teeth as he watched my big butt flounce out of his office! :mad:
I find it absolutely abhorrent when someone in a position of trust, and who should be helping you says anything detrimental like that.
People don't understand that the abuse that overweight people suffer lead them not only to eat more, but then start a vicious circle of self loathing and hate that can push people to the point of clinical depression, and in some cases even lead people to the point of suicide. I know this as I was at that point at some stage in my life not so long ago.
The only way to get through all of that is to keep pushing for surgery and never give up hope, and never quit bugging the heck out of the doctors until someone listens to you! I had to go through 3 doctors until I found a wonderful one who helped me. Keep the faith and be strong. You WILL get your surgery, even if it's a year from now.
In the meantime, continue to try and loose a bit of weight on your own like you have been doing as it will be better for you when you eventually get your surgery and the doctors can see that you are really trying to get in better shape x

Back