• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

questions for those 'done' at Treliske Cornwall

Jamast

I have my op date for 6th May. I've been searching through the forums trying to find answers to the following questions but have noticed that practices vary a lot between areas and hospitals. So, I thought I'd direct my questions at anyone who have had their op at Treliske, Truro.

Can someone please tell me;

Underwear - Do I wear my own knickers for op or are they paper ones?

Do I keep a bra on during op?

Will I have a catheter, (asking because at the moment anyone approaching my erm . . . Ladygarden would probably need a machete and pith helmet to get anywhere near where they need to be, so is a trim and tidy necessary) lol?

What do I need to take?

Thank you.

No idea, but am jumping up and down in excitement for you hon!

(Whop whop hunni for getting your date :) i was banded 9 weeks ago at treliske ..... there is one other lady here who was bypassed there too :)
So i can answer some questions...... wear your own knickers down to operating room, then they have to come off lol Bra comes off before hand.... you will be gowned up well in advance all you keep on are your knickers under that sexy gown. take a dressing gown with you, you will be waiting in a big waiting room with others (not all wls patients) Catheter not sure, i didn't but i was banded!!!
I was a day patient so it will be different for you.
I took dressing gown, slippers. Take something to keep you occupied (i had to be in at 7.30 am didn't go down until gone 1pm) book or alike.
Comfy clothes to wear home, i also took a pillow for drive home (under seatbelt) of course you will need overnight bag and fresh clothing, underwear etc toiletries ummmm dry mouth spray, and windeze thin that was about it :)

hope all goes well hunni are you under Finlay ? i will try and put you in touch with my bypass friend too when i speak to her next :) x x x any other questions just ask

Hi crystalrainbow & thank you.
I was originally under Finlay but over the years, have been shoved around everyone. I am now under Cota. I also have to be there for 7.30a.m so will be in a hotel the night before as I don't fancy leaving home at 5 in the morning. I don't fancy the long wait until lunchtime if I get there at 7.30. I was hoping that it meant I'd be going in straight away lol. My other half reckons he's tough as old boots, but in reality, he frets and I don't think he'll cope with waiting for those extra hours.
Anyway, another question, ywhat about socks?

With my combination of hypothyroidism and arthritis, if my feet get cold they are extremely painful for hours. So much that I can't stand or walk. Will I be able to wear socks in theatre? (I have some new white cotton ones just in case I am lucky lol. )

I had compression stockings on before I went down to theatre - I thnk most do.

Oh yes, I had forgotten all about those. Thanks Yves, at least my feet will be warm. Nigel was laughing at me yesterday, everyone worries about the op or the fact that they will be naked - I worry about cold feet lol XX

LOL @ cold feet :) as Yvessa says you will have those lovely stockings on !! Cota is lovely so i hear (Finlay is short blunt and to the point and had me in tears on the day of my op) lucky you. I thought being there for my 7.30 appointment meant i would be going down early, but it seems everyone gets the 7.30 appointment, and the make the decision on the morning in which order you'll go down........... it changes too so don't fret lol From what i gather they do the more difficult cases first and so on.... but from experience the earlier your gowned up ready the earlier you go!!! The wait is painful, nerves and the not knowing ugh so deffo take something easy to take your mind off, i took a book but frankly couldn't take anything in lol
The nurses are wonderful and really put you at ease, also the team in theater was amazing........ the nurse walked me down to the theater holding bay lol there someone checks all your details are correct, one of the team comes to collect you and they were heaven sent :) it was an all lady team when i was there ..... they chatted to me the hole time they wired me up etc then next time i opened my eyes i was in recovery. On the ward the nurses were fantastic too.
I was home that night, but my friend who had bypass with Cota obviously stayed overnight and i sounded like she had a good experience too :) wishing you all the very best hunni x x x

Thank you. I met Cota months go, very quickly, and he did seem nice. I've waited so flipping long (by my op date, it will have been 7yrs since first beginning ny fight for this, and 5 since my first hospital appointment), that I suppose a few hours waiting in hospital shouldn't bother me too much lol.

I waited 3 years from start to finish ..... i've come to the conclusion that the wait has been worth it, because i was sooooo ready, my head was in the right place and i learned sooo much along the way. For some people its a whirlwind and it takes awhile for their heads to catch up Lol
Gl hunni any further questions pm me if you like....... i will deffo try and put u in touch with my bypass friend (she is on here from time to time) its good to have someone to go thru it with u :) x x x x

Hi Jamast. I am the elusive friend of Crystalrainbow who had the pleasure of Mr Cota's company and expertise in theatre performing my gastric bp. The operation went so smoothly I actually asked a nurse on the ward whether I had been operated on. Operation was fine, post op care in hospital was excellent (only stayed 1 night), and no, you will not have a catheter. Follow your post op diet plan, drink the recommended amount of fluids (I still struggle with this one but am trying), and do not be afraid to ask questions - the chances are if you are thinking of something then somebody else will either know the answer, or have some experience they can offer - Crystalrainbow was my rock post op and literally got me through my wobbly days. I panicked if i hadnt drunk enough, hadnt had a bowel movement (mind you this one still makes me nervous!!!!), didnt put my surgical socks on straight away after my shower, didnt walk enough - and yet here I am still alive and losing weight steadily week after week.

I am doing ok thanks sweetie, fully back to work and straight back to working longer than 9 to 5 - dohhhh although I do take timeout at lunchtime to walk for 30 mins at least. How are you doing? I will text you shortly for a good old catch up. x x x x x

Hi Jamast. I am the elusive friend of Crystalrainbow who had the pleasure of Mr Cota's company and expertise in theatre performing my gastric bp. The operation went so smoothly I actually asked a nurse on the ward whether I had been operated on. Operation was fine, post op care in hospital was excellent (only stayed 1 night), and no, you will not have a catheter. Follow your post op diet plan, drink the recommended amount of fluids (I still struggle with this one but am trying), and do not be afraid to ask questions - the chances are if you are thinking of something then somebody else will either know the answer, or have some experience they can offer - Crystalrainbow was my rock post op and literally got me through my wobbly days. I panicked if i hadnt drunk enough, hadnt had a bowel movement (mind you this one still makes me nervous!!!!), didnt put my surgical socks on straight away after my shower, didnt walk enough - and yet here I am still alive and losing weight steadily week after week.

Hi. Thank you for that. Glad to 'meet' someone who had same op and same surgeon. I shall leave my erm . . . Lady garden ... growing wild then lol

Bless ya glad all's well :) ok here still trying to figure out this eating malarkey lol Nothing seems to add up, will be tackling Reagan on my next visit ......... hmmm will tell ya all sometime x x x hope work good and wd on the walking, we've got a step thread going somewhere LOL

Bless ya glad all's well :) ok here still trying to figure out this eating malarkey lol Nothing seems to add up, will be tackling Reagan on my next visit ......... hmmm will tell ya all sometime x x x hope work good and wd on the walking, we've got a step thread going somewhere LOL

Hmmmm - How do you get on with Reagan?

Hi. Thank you for that. Glad to 'meet' someone who had same op and same surgeon. I shall leave my erm . . . Lady garden ... growing wild then lol
A little tidy up might not go amiss, I pushed the boat out and shaved my legs - one must maintain standards mustn't one :) !!!! The nurse just looked at my painted toenails and put the compression socks on as fast as she could.

hmmm that's a good question lol being a bander i am getting alot more after support that the bypassers ........ i'm now on 6 months group sessions focusing on healthy eating + they do our fills at the same time............. i have found some of the info pre op very useful and interesting but tbh the support full stop has been pretty sparse lol Reagan is nice enough, but like the rest of them have no experience of wls themselves, and as she said on my last visit, they are still pretty new to this lol TBH i have found the site more helpful than the hospital lol
I have my rules etc in front of me and even 9 weeks in am still confused by it all. UGH sometimes its like blowing in the wind lol now i just go with the flow but was sooooooo pleased to meet someone to go thru it with.......... i think both of us would have been in a hell of a worse place without each others support..................... so please keep in touch and ask anything anytime :)

A little tidy up might not go amiss, I pushed the boat out and shaved my legs - one must maintain standards mustn't one :) !!!! The nurse just looked at my painted toenails and put the compression socks on as fast as she could.

Lol. I was actually considering painted toenails

Back