• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

questions for those 'done' at Treliske Cornwall

Its a real difficult one this emotional eating..... i never realised i was an emotional eater.... yes we all turn to food to cope with life's ups an downs but i discovered after surgery just how much of an emotional eater i was...... then its difficult because you really need to find new coping mechanisms or you can do yourself some serious harm.... i think thats why the psychologist .... they need to know before surgery goes ahead that your not going to be a danger to yourself...... this can hold up proceedings because they don't seem to have enough psychologists to cover the need !!!
I was concerned pre op i may fall into that bracket, being a depression sufferer but i obviously wasn't deemed to be too bad as i managed to slip past this one lol but speaking from experience ..... if your are an emotional eater get it sorted before the op..... no matter how easy we think just not putting something in our mouths is............. it really isn't

personally i have found this bit to be very empowering .... instead of turning to food... i find i really speak my mind now, rather that stuff my feelings down with food..... that too takes some getting used too LOL

My best advise is to be total honest at your appointments, get all the help you need pre op, it ill only make you more successful post op :)

I'm concerned that I may want to turn to cigarettes again. It could be far too easy to put a fag to my mouth instead of food, just as it was to put food to my mouth instead of a cigarette when I gave up smoking......

Best stock up on chewing gum - that stops me putting anything to my mouth!!!!!! I find that mint doesn't work with anything LOL.

Crystal, speaking my mind could get me into a whole new world of trouble...... :eek:

don't be tempted to start up the fags again ..... that's a deffo no no lol

Try fluids .........every time you want to shove something in .... it can help lol

Oh fantastic idea! I know you have to keep drinking lots of water and I was wondering how on earth am I going to do it - duh ....... LOL !!!!!!!
That is actually something I should be doing already. I drink loads when I'm at the gym, but not much any other time. Hmmmm, going to crack on with that one - thanks Crystal :) xx

Its great training too LOL these things all come as a bit of a shocker post op lol sip sip sip :) if you can get all the good habits going now its sooooooo much easier x x x

hmmm its not easy.... years of chugging fluids and stuffing food in!!! I still have to think about it even now 1 year post op lol they are hard habits to break.

I practised lots before op.... it drove me nuts but its a MUST post op ..... try it LOL

Sipping your drinks and the eating slowly 20-20-20 it certainly opens your eyes as to what life will be post op :)

In fact if we all adopted theses habits i'm sure surgery wouldn't be needed lol its just sticking to them....

.....and the eating slowly 20-20-20 .....

What do you mean?
I've read that you should take tiny teeny weeny bites and chew 25 times.... but I don't know what you mean by 20-20-20????

I've also read that you shouldn't drink immediately before a meal, nor during or after - that's going to be a tough one for me that is on my list to put into practise pre op.

:) xx

Maybe different surgeries have slightly different rules, but I read it was drink a glass of water 30 mins before a meal then again 90 mins after the meal with no fluids in between (or something like that anyway). I can't remember where I read it but that would have been for the bypass so maybe its slightly different rules for a sleeve? (I am yet to fully research the sleeve, though I figure each patient will get their list of Dos & Donts when they get accepted for surgery).Still, its gonna be a toughie for me as I like a cuppa tea with my meal :eek: Deffo got to get some practice in on it!!!

Tiny teeny bite, I read to be the size of your small finger nail bed, or the size of a pencil top eraser :eek: :eek: Is that about right? So bite, chew 20 times, wait 20 seconds, stop eating within 20 minutes?
I shall start practising!!!

I had a Bypass and stick to the 20 20 20 rule and put cutlery down in between bites, eat every meal off a tea plate and don't drink 30 mins either side of meals. 90 mins would be a no go, seriously as especially post op there would not be enough hours in the day to drink and eat what you needed to stay alive if you waited 90 minutes after every meal before drinking. X

I also practiced the chewing as soon as it was explained to me at the first group meetings with dietitians pre op. And drinking more without gulping it down, as crystal says these are things we need to be doing after surgery so much easier if you can get a handle on them before surgery x

Thanks Sam :)

I'm making changes as I go along - I introduced the 20-20-20 rule this morning with my cereal bar though not tiny teeny weeny bites. Once I get used to the 20-20-20, I shall then bring in the 30 minute drought rule!! Not looking forward to that one :eek:

I'm not sure how portion sizes / bite sizes can be practised before surgery though. I would have thought they come into play after surgery because the stomach would then be in proportion to the size of the meal/bites. If I ate to those rules now, I'd be bloomin hungry all day long!

Baby steps now is better than a mahoosive post op lifestyle shock :D
(Ha, that sounds like a good pre-op signature LOL )

By the way, can someone confirm what a post op bite size actually is please? Thanks :) xx

Last edited:
Its not imperative to bring all the rules in pre op but its worth a practice just to see how life is going to change post op...... i hear what you say about bite size and comparison to tummy size (pre op) but the whole point of the surgery is to stimulate the nerve to tell you your full......

I had a band fitted and have complete done my wl without the aid of fills lol i have listened to the rules and taken them on board and so far have lost merely from using the rules..... if only i'd know pre op LOL

So yes have a practice with the tiny bites too..... after 2 weeks i stopped being hungry ...so it works LOl like i say sticking to it long term is the hard bit.... thats when the tummy helps :)

I eat from childs plate or side plate from child's knife and fork 20 20 20 ,as a rough guide (this is me personally) i can eat 2 egg omelet for lunch within my 20 mins but i bet Sam would say less ..... obviously i have no restriction holding me back lol fully restricted am guessing i would be 1 egg?? its a huge learning curve and horses for courses .....everyone is different and has different restriction.....

You don't need to practice tiny bites or portion size pre op, (well I didn't) but drinking enough throughout the day and chewing properly including putting down cutlery between mouthfuls I found useful. A bite size is just the that don't worry too much on exact measurements just make it small enough and chew it well. Some things I found easier like meat when they were smaller but different food with different textures I do differently. X

Thanks girls :)

I want to get into the swing of things as much as I can pre op. So all info and tips are welcome.

I'd already thought about cutlery size and have decided to get myself a kiddies set. I was going to get one of those bariatric surgery portion control plates, but Crystals suggestion of a kiddies plate sounds much more fun!

I've been putting the 20-20-20 rule into practice today and apart from the gym this morning, Ive failed miserably with the water intake :( I'm really beginning to realise just how hard it is to make all these changes to lifelong habits, so I'm really glad I'm gradually introducing them now!

:) xx

Oh Steph, I'm sorry to hear that hun :(

No, mine hasn't changed .......... :fingerscrossed:

Right girls.... i've taken the bull by the horns LOL i've started us a wee group up ..... thought it may make life easier to find ourselves and for newbies too..... so there's no stressing to get to 20 posts lol (sorry didn't realise you couldn't get in before) bare with me while i get round to inviting you all in.... i've done it invite only, so it will just be us guys who will be able to read..........it may make life easier when making plans for get together's ......it may not work for us ..... but worth a go :)

Invites on their way soon :) please don't be offended if i miss anyone LOL (i think i can remember everyone's names) ......i think once we're in we can all invite others too!! SO if anyone see's another fellow Cornish member invite them along :)

Back