• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Questions from a newbie.....

Natstar

So as you may see from my other thread I've made the decision to go with the sleeve but have some questions so here goes and if any one can help I would really appreciate it!

My questions.... Anyone who has insight I'd love to know!

- what's you scarring like and whereabouts?

- how long after your op can you fly? I go on holiday in July so worried I'll have to wait!

- can I return to work 2 weeks after the op? I could probably take x1 week off and work from home for a week but would like to be back in 2 ideally. I don't have a strenuous job do think I'd be ok...

- how many of you havent told friends/family! I only want my immediate family and db to know, do you think this is realistic?

- has anyone got pregnant after a sleeve and if so what has happened? I have not intention to yet but some time I the future I want to!

- at what point has anyone introduced alcohol? Again no intentions to but thinking ahead to August and October I have weddings to go to

Im sure I will have more at some point so apologies now!

Thanks
Nx

OK, I will do my best to answer...

Scarring...6 little incisions...very small, a couple as small as a nails width !

Travel...not sure but, if you have your Op in the next few weeks, would imagine July flight would be fine. (Ask your surgeon at first appointment)

Return to work...now this is different for everyone and you wont know till you are recovering. I am to have a total of 6 weeks off but, I have a medical condition that affects my recovery and a busy, hectic job.

Telling people..it's totally up to you who you tell. I have told most people as the weightloss will be very obvious and didn't want have to keep it a secret. Do what is right for you.

Pregnancy...am too old for having babies , so can't help!

Alcohol....think you may need to wait a few months ? I am only 3 weeks post-op, so can't really help.

Hopefully, somebody who is more experienced with their sleeve will come along soon. x

Hi Natstar, I'm only 5 days post sleeve op but will try to reply the best I can.

1. Incisions: 5 small incisions, fading already. Only one looks like it will be noticeable long term and that is the one where they pulled the remainder of the stomach out.

2. Flying -- I don't know for sure ..... but am guessing it would around 2 months (standard full recovery time is 6 - 8 weeks -- no strenuous exercise or lifting for that period of time) ..... I would suggest checking with your surgeon / bariatric team.

3. Returning to work -- I have been signed off sick for two weeks and currently think that is very realistic and I should be back at work full time on 1st May (however I do a sedentary job).

4. Telling friends / family / colleagues etc -- I have been open and honest with everyone from the start. As I was referred on the NHS originally back in January 2011 and had loads of appointments to attend for 16 months, it was pretty difficult to hide it. If I had gone privately it would have been a different matter.

5. Pregnancy ......... ask your team ....... I think the general advice for most bypassers and sleevers is to wait until at least 18 months post operation, until the weight loss has been achieved and stabilised, but check with your own team.

6. Alcohol ...... general advice is try to avoid, especially fizzy alcohol but our bariatric nurse did say at one of our support meetings that if you attend one wedding during the year and get tempted by one glass of champagne, then go ahead and enjoy it, as along as it is not every week.

I looked into the book that I have "Successful Weight Loss with the Gastric Sleeve" (written by Dr Guillermo Alvarez: Successful weight loss with The Gastric Sleeve - Dr. Alvarez) for more clarification on Alcohol and found this:

Drinking alchohol after a bariatric procedure is not recommended because alcohol will take longer to metabolize; therefore levels of alcohol will rise more quickly and be maintained longer in a bariatric patient. When patients insist on wanting to drink, I recommend drinking very small amounts of alcohol once their weight has become stable or they have reached their goal weight (after 12 - 18 months). I still warn them that they stand the risk of getting drunk on small amounts of alcohol and may take longer to become sober.

I did also look in the book for any advice about pregnancy (found none) or flying and only found this:

Q. Will my sleeve "blow up" in an aeroplane?
No. Remember that your sleeve will act as a regular stomach. The only thing that changes after surgery is your stomach capacity and your hunger sensation: both will be much less.

No advice on how long after the op you can fly tho (sorry!).

Thanks so much ladies, your replys have been really helpful and have put my mind at ease!

I am not quite five months post op so my answers are

Scarring: minimal, as above.
Flying: I had my op end of November; flew: mid January; so about six weeks. Had no problem with flights at all. Just the airline food. Euw. Actually got a doctor's letter allowing me to take a yogurt through the "no liquids" barrier. You should have seen them scrutinizing my letter.

Work: Again I left it about six weeks, or just before I flew.

Pregnancy: I'm a Grandma!

I had my surgery abroad and flew home 3 days after the op with no problem.

I took 4 weeks off work after the op but have an active job.

I've told everyone cos I knew they would soon notice the tiny amounts of food I was eating and know that something was up

I havent tried any alcohol yet and am thankfully too old for babies :)

Back