• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sam's Musings

I'm sorry, it all sounds so exhausting and you sound so sad :(

I think it's terrible different CCG's have different funding and different goal posts! Everywhere should be the same, it would be so much fairer!
I hope you get things sorted soon and you get an op date!

I think it's terrible different CCG's have different funding and different goal posts! Everywhere should be the same, it would be so much fairer!
I hope you get things sorted soon and you get an op date!
Thanks Branches. Still waiting and have now reached the 18 weeks NHS target. My GP has written to my CCG.

:( how are you feeling in yourself?

I'm sorry, it all sounds so exhausting and you sound so sad :(
Well, still waiting for op. 18 week target came and went some weeks ago so about 27 weeks now and no news other than they are really struggling with their waiting lists and did I want to be transferred from Leeds waiting list to York waiting list? Said no as it is a 120 mile round trip and all my aftercare would be there. Leeds is bad enough at 84 :( My only way of coping has been to try and forget it is happening so haven't been on here. Weight is relatively stable, the odd up and the odd down, and looking to replace some more clothes, but a long way off still from the 10 stone i need to lose to get my knee done.

Sorry I haven't been checking how everyone else is doing and I know we all have our challenges to deal with, but have been too depressed about it as I feel my life is on hold, as I have been told not to go anywhere overnight, and if no news in the next couple of weeks I am going to have to defer my OU for a year or risk being financially penalised, as my GP says I won't be up for coping with studying for some time once I have had it done. Any thoughts on this please anyone?

I'm not surprised you feel the way you do. I felt like my life was on hold too just waiting for the appointment and then then the date.
Depending on how you find the studying I'd be tempted not to put it on hold to be honest. I was off work for a month but could have gone back sooner if I had too, it didn't take me long to recover enough to get on with my life. If I were you I'd just feel more resentful that putting my studies back a year was another thing waiting for WLS had cost me but you know your situation best so only you can make the decision.

I understand too why you've not been around much but we're here when you do need to have a chat or a vent x

Well, still waiting for op. 18 week target came and went some weeks ago so about 27 weeks now and no news other than they are really struggling with their waiting lists and did I want to be transferred from Leeds waiting list to York waiting list? Said no as it is a 120 mile round trip and all my aftercare would be there. Leeds is bad enough at 84 :( My only way of coping has been to try and forget it is happening so haven't been on here. Weight is relatively stable, the odd up and the odd down, and looking to replace some more clothes, but a long way off still from the 10 stone i need to lose to get my knee done.

Sorry I haven't been checking how everyone else is doing and I know we all have our challenges to deal with, but have been too depressed about it as I feel my life is on hold, as I have been told not to go anywhere overnight, and if no news in the next couple of weeks I am going to have to defer my OU for a year or risk being financially penalised, as my GP says I won't be up for coping with studying for some time once I have had it done. Any thoughts on this please anyone?

Leeds is awful. My 18 weeks was March 2016, had surgery 20.07.16. Dieititian (same as yours), didn't help ("We've never breached before"!). Life was on hold and I turned down a job for surgery, and I regret that now. I could have started in January. I was plodding along at work, bored out of my brains as it isn't challenging, had one interview, sucked at that and was ready to give up. I got a phonecall from admissions secretary on he friday asking how I was dong with LSD - I was with a client at an assessment, waiting for interpreter, and it was the first I'd heard of the op the following Weds. I did get a call a few weeks earlier - I'd booked 4 days away last minute and would have rang them to let them know, so that they woudn't contact me, and they rang in the morning, when I was busy. So had to say no to that one.

I also stayed away from here, I needed the distance. I don't blame you. The psychological impact of this log, long wait, after they promise 18 weeks, is really, really difficult.

I'm not surprised you feel the way you do. I felt like my life was on hold too just waiting for the appointment and then then the date.
Depending on how you find the studying I'd be tempted not to put it on hold to be honest. I was off work for a month but could have gone back sooner if I had too, it didn't take me long to recover enough to get on with my life. If I were you I'd just feel more resentful that putting my studies back a year was another thing waiting for WLS had cost me but you know your situation best so only you can make the decision.

I understand too why you've not been around much but we're here when you do need to have a chat or a vent x

Thanks Fee. Helpful to know your recovery was pretty ok, particularly as you had a sleeve too. I am used to coping with lots of health issues that get in the way of my life and find ways to work round them, but it is the ones that put my brain out of action that cause me the most stress, and there have plenty of reasons for that. Have just heard in another post from the only person on here I have found who is under Leeds, is that she should have had it in March, and was done on 20th July, different surgeon and only four days of LRD. Makes you wonder why you have to go through that if they can decide to do it after such a short amount of time!

Leeds is awful. My 18 weeks was March 2016, had surgery 20.07.16. Dieititian (same as yours), didn't help ("We've never breached before"!). Life was on hold and I turned down a job for surgery, and I regret that now. I could have started in January. I was plodding along at work, bored out of my brains as it isn't challenging, had one interview, sucked at that and was ready to give up. I got a phonecall from admissions secretary on he friday asking how I was dong with LSD - I was with a client at an assessment, waiting for interpreter, and it was the first I'd heard of the op the following Weds. I did get a call a few weeks earlier - I'd booked 4 days away last minute and would have rang them to let them know, so that they woudn't contact me, and they rang in the morning, when I was busy. So had to say no to that one.

I also stayed away from here, I needed the distance. I don't blame you. The psychological impact of this log, long wait, after they promise 18 weeks, is really, really difficult.

Sounds a nightmare! At least I don't have paid work to worry about, although I do a lot of voluntary work and hate the idea of letting people down if I have to cancel. Was the actual experience ok in the circumstances? Did the only 4 days LRD cause any problems?

I lost7lb in those 4 days (water weight) and surgeon did laproscopic op, so can't have been a problem. The experience is in my diary - its very detailed.

Funnily enough, my manager asked me on the weds if I'd heard anything, and I said I should have a weeks notice. 2 days later I had to tell her that I was having op on the weds of the net week!

I lost7lb in those 4 days (water weight) and surgeon did laproscopic op, so can't have been a problem. The experience is in my diary - its very detailed.

Funnily enough, my manager asked me on the weds if I'd heard anything, and I said I should have a weeks notice. 2 days later I had to tell her that I was having op on the weds of the net week!

I rang waiting lists again today to see if there was any further news, and to check they hadn't 'rung me' with a date I didn't know about! Apparently I am near the top, but as usual it depends on the number of cancer patients. Was told they would ring me for when to start the LRD and to go for another pre-med as the one in March has run out (for some reason I had been expecting a letter, as so much of the NHS is done by snail mail). :( My surgeon manages his own lists apparently and checks them weekly.
Trying to find the lip balm now I bought weeks ago in readiness and put somewhere safe, and remember whether I bought a mouth spray, or whether I just looked at them!

lousy experience

Well I went to the hospital today to see the Consultant Dietitian about pre-op diet which was not the most edifying experience of my life. :cry: Bombarded with lots of paperwork, was only allowed to ask questions when she had finished talking, and was expected to have taken it all in at once.

Was also told I was not eligible for any psychological support afterwards as I live in the wrong county and was out of area and they won't pay for it, and then went on to tell me what good support I would have had if I lived in the county that the hospital was in. This was told to me after I had explained to her that I had had psychological support in place at the start of this journey but they had died in December so was feeling somewhat emotional talking about this.:cry:

Was also told I will be on pre-op diet for a month, but surgeon could call me in after two days if he had a gap in his list?!?!!?

Have to see her again in about four weeks time. What joy.:rolleyes:

Would you believe it! My GP, bless his cotton socks, has been battling away to get me the psychological support I need afterwards on the NHS, and now I have had two different offers within a week! :)

Fab news re psychological support, Sam ! Stick with the lists and it will come when you're least expecting it. It's so bad though, I know xx

That's great news and can only help. I was having therapy for a separate medical disability in the run up to my surgery but we talked about the WLS a lot and it really helped me get my head in the right place :)

That's great news and can only help. I was having therapy for a separate medical disability in the run up to my surgery but we talked about the WLS a lot and it really helped me get my head in the right place :)
Pleased it helped. I was seeing a private therapist and he was the reason why I am now able to do this. Unfortunately he died last December so it has been a bit of a lonesome road since :( . Not expecting an appointment before the New Year though because of waiting lists, although at this rate I may have only just had the surgery!

Pleased it helped. I was seeing a private therapist and he was the reason why I am now able to do this. Unfortunately he died last December so it has been a bit of a lonesome road since :( . Not expecting an appointment before the New Year though because of waiting lists, although at this rate I may have only just had the surgery!

My new smaller sleep apnoea machine mask strap came today, a pretty lilac rather than the plain blue and is classed as ladies according to the website (has anyone seen the reviews on Amazon for Bic Pens for Her, they are hysterical?) , as my previous one has become too loose due to losing some of my chubby cheeks. Did a test run with an afternoon power nap, and it is a bit tight. Its a bit like being between dress sizes!

Well! It is happening at last!! :) Came home yesterday to find two answerphone messages to ring hospital. It was 5.20 so they had gone home so spent all night playing guessing games... Finally got to talk to them this morning eventually and my date is September 5th for my sleeve. 7 months on the waiting list. :( No mention of another pre med even though mine has run out, but guessing they will want to haul me in.
She said start pre-op diet as soon as possible. Have lunch out planned tomorrow with a friend for her birthday so it will be prisoners last meal!! It will then be clear out the fridge except for the milk and yoghurt to avoid any temptation.

Many things to rearrange, but first thing to sort is getting there as my friend who was taking me is away for her wedding anniversary. As they want me there for 7am and I am over 40 miles away, I have a room booked in their hospital 'hotel' for Sunday night. On a high at the moment but I am sure that won't last once the hunger and sugar lows start. :(

Excellent news for you! Enjoy your lunch tomorrow! Don't stress too much about the LRD - I was convinced that I wouldn't be able to do it and now I have done day 7 and although it is not easy, I am doing it!

What LRD are you doing?

Back