• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sam's Musings

So pleased for you @SAM55 , hope you manage to sort out how your going to get there. Im in similar position...I do have someone to take me now, ...once my turn arrives.
Was hoping to get a taxi back home though, (as she can only take me) but after reading a few posts on here, it appears I may not be allowed to travel back in a taxi.
I have used 'Patient Transport' in the past... So they may arrange that for me.
Have you thought about 'Patient Transport' to help you get there and back? You may have to arrange it through your doctor...if you explain why you can't travel on public transport (for me it's social anxiety) . Its a free service.

Toni :rainbow:

So pleased for you @SAM55 , hope you manage to sort out how your going to get there. Im in similar position...I do have someone to take me now, ...once my turn arrives.
Was hoping to get a taxi back home though, (as she can only take me) but after reading a few posts on here, it appears I may not be allowed to travel back in a taxi.
I have used 'Patient Transport' in the past... So they may arrange that for me.
Have you thought about 'Patient Transport' to help you get there and back? You may have to arrange it through your doctor...if you explain why you can't travel on public transport (for me it's social anxiety) . Its a free service.

I hear so many awful stories about patient transport going round the houses. From me it is a two hour journey normally. With them its about 6! Anyway going in on a Sunday so patient transport wouldn't be available. Thanks for the suggestion though. :) I have a couple of options. Once is I drive myself and my friend picks the car up when she comes to visit when she gets back. Fortunately she is back by the Tuesday. The other is asking someone i know less well who would do it if she is free but she doesn't know Leeds and also she is likely to make me more anxious. My main concern is getting from the car park with all my baggage as I use a rollator, and how weak I might be feeling after my pre-op diet. I also don't do public transport by the way for similar reasons, not that we have much anyway in the sticks where I live! Have you got a date yet?

Excellent news for you! Enjoy your lunch tomorrow! Don't stress too much about the LRD - I was convinced that I wouldn't be able to do it and now I have done day 7 and although it is not easy, I am doing it!

What LRD are you doing?
Thanks for the reassurance. I am doing the milk and yoghurt one, no thought required!

Harrah for a date at last! I found milk and yogurt a doddle exactly because there's no thought required. I think I'd have found the food one way tougher. I know you are a bit anxious about arranging transport but try and look at this as positively as you can, I really think that will help with nerves and any low fed up points especially during the LRD. First off ask the hospital if they will let you travel home in a taxi when they discharge you. In terms of managing luggage I'd be really strict about what you pack (I took a lot I didn't need). So wear what you'll wear to go home in when you're admitted for example. Undies and nightwear and toiletries. I didn't have a shower there so just need baby wipes, lip balm and moisturiser and toothbrush and toothpaste. I got tiny travel size products too. I got a couple of magazines from the hospital itself and left them when i went home. I walk with 2 sticks so have to use a backpack as I can't carry a bag or anything. Ask whoever takes you to drop you off at the entrance even if they then go and park too?

You've got time to get this all prepared anyway and it's all going to be worth it. I'm just so pleased you finally have a date!

I hear so many awful stories about patient transport going round the houses. From me it is a two hour journey normally. With them its about 6! Anyway going in on a Sunday so patient transport wouldn't be available. Thanks for the suggestion though. :) I have a couple of options. Once is I drive myself and my friend picks the car up when she comes to visit when she gets back. Fortunately she is back by the Tuesday. The other is asking someone i know less well who would do it if she is free but she doesn't know Leeds and also she is likely to make me more anxious. My main concern is getting from the car park with all my baggage as I use a rollator, and how weak I might be feeling after my pre-op diet. I also don't do public transport by the way for similar reasons, not that we have much anyway in the sticks where I live! Have you got a date yet?
If it's any help, I am nearly there - surgery on Monday, have spent the last 2 weeks on a milk and yogurt diet and have not noticed any weakness at all from the diet. :)

No weakness here either, I occasionally get a bit light headed but more milk solves that! Yesterday evening I did feel tired but I hadn't been sleeping well so that is probably why.

I didn't believe people when they said it wasn't as bad as you think - but it really isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be!

Well really enjoyed prisoner's last meal. I won't tell you what it was as it will get your taste buds going, but it was very naughty, but nice! :eating: Paid the price though :sick0019: but it is good aversion therapy :doh: Have just done my Tesco online order and cleared out anything from my shopping list except milk in various pack sizes, yogurt, bottled water with extra vitamins, sugar free drinks and cleaning products. Need to clear the fridge out next of unused food. :( At least it is Saturday and Tesco came on Monday so not much left.

Having problems with sourcing adult chewable A-Z vits for after op. Have tablet ones for now. How foul is Forceval please someone? It doesn't seem to have a good press on here...

Forceval is an enormous tablet to swallow. I wasn't given it until 3 weeks post surgery. The adult chewables I had were centrum and I got them at boots - still do as the teens love them!!

Harrah for a date at last! I found milk and yogurt a doddle exactly because there's no thought required. I think I'd have found the food one way tougher. I know you are a bit anxious about arranging transport but try and look at this as positively as you can, I really think that will help with nerves and any low fed up points especially during the LRD. First off ask the hospital if they will let you travel home in a taxi when they discharge you. In terms of managing luggage I'd be really strict about what you pack (I took a lot I didn't need). So wear what you'll wear to go home in when you're admitted for example. Undies and nightwear and toiletries. I didn't have a shower there so just need baby wipes, lip balm and moisturiser and toothbrush and toothpaste. I got tiny travel size products too. I got a couple of magazines from the hospital itself and left them when i went home. I walk with 2 sticks so have to use a backpack as I can't carry a bag or anything. Ask whoever takes you to drop you off at the entrance even if they then go and park too?

You've got time to get this all prepared anyway and it's all going to be worth it. I'm just so pleased you finally have a date!
My transport issue is the other way round, but still looking at options. Its the sleep apnoea machine that is going to be the problem, and also if I have to take a towel? My last surgery I had to take my own towel. How long were you in for Fee?

Forceval is an enormous tablet to swallow. I wasn't given it until 3 weeks post surgery. The adult chewables I had were centrum and I got them at boots - still do as the teens love them!!
Were they A-Z as I have heard they aren't. Also they had those at the pharmacy I went to today but pharmacist didn't recommend them when I asked for adult chewable A-Z.

Tbh it's only going to be for two or three weeks and during this period of time your body is just grateful for what morsels it's gets or at least mine was. Then you'll get yourself on Forceval. My GP wrote down for me the 'contents' of Forceval and all the alternatives just don't match up the breadth and depth of coverage (I was moaning about struggling to get them down!). So I've persevered and it's much better now and well worth it!!!

Tbh it's only going to be for two or three weeks and during this period of time your body is just grateful for what morsels it's gets or at least mine was. Then you'll get yourself on Forceval. My GP wrote down for me the 'contents' of Forceval and all the alternatives just don't match up the breadth and depth of coverage (I was moaning about struggling to get them down!). So I've persevered and it's much better now and well worth it!!!
Have just been looking at Forceval online. It seems they do a soluble one too so surprised your GP hasn't prescribed those. The list of ingredients does look formidable. Do you know why you are not given a multivit straight after surgery? Seems like the body could do with it...

Yeah, patiant transport do go around the houses a bit ....and forgot about they don't do weekends or early mornings.
No, Ive not got a date through as yet, but see the surgeon next week. Im guessing about 4 to 5 months time, but who knows.
Oh heck...you don't want to be traveling with anyone who makes you more anxious...It'l be a stressful enough time for you.
I was just wondering, If you could ring the hospital up in advance, And let them know about your concerns, regarding ...getting your baggage from the car to the ward. Maybe, they might be a porter who could help with that issue. Like ringing once you've arrived at the car park, And asking for some assistance with your luggage due to a disability. It so hard, I know...when you only have 'you' to depend on.
Hope you manage to get sorted.

My transport issue is the other way round, but still looking at options. Its the sleep apnoea machine that is going to be the problem, and also if I have to take a towel? My last surgery I had to take my own towel. How long were you in for Fee?
I was in 2 nights, one in HDU and one on a normal ward which was planned before the op. I really hope you can get something sorted x

Have bitten the bullet and gone for asking the friend who may make me anxious (well more than I already am) as into day 2 of my pre-op and feeling giddy so don't think a 43 mile trip will be good for me, although am going to have to do 84 for another pre-op assessment as my last one has run out. At least I won't be stressing about surgery the next day though.
I was in 2 nights, one in HDU and one on a normal ward which was planned before the op. I really hope you can get something sorted x
That was quick! The paperwork I was given says 3-4. Did you feel well enough to leave so soon?

Yes definitely :) I was the only case that day staying in at all and I've seen posts from people who came home the same day which really surprised me!

I was only in for 2 nights too, 1 on HDU, one on a ward. I was more than ready to come home and sleep in my own bed. It was a kind of torture on the ward when the lunch trolley came around and sat in the middle of the 4 bed ward. I needed to be at home.

I would not have been ready to leave after the op, I needed the 2 nights to get myself together and sort my head out more

Back