• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sam's Musings

Well, day 3 of pre-op and i am not as hungry or ill-feeling as I thought i would be, in fact today has been fine, although was probably helped by the nice weather. The past few days have been horrible :( A liquid diet obviously agrees with me, and I didn't take my Metformin this morning to see what my sugars did, and they have been better and more stable than the past two days. I even went to a coffee shop with a friend and only had a coffee and a glass of milk. She didn't eat either and we sat outside as the sun was shining so couldn't see the cakes or smell the smells, although I saw a young boy with a very large hamburger and chips with salad (his face was a picture when it arrived) but had no desire for it. Long time since i have eaten a hamburger anyway...

There is no food in the house that I would want to eat other than yoghurt, so no temptation and no one else to feed or watch eating. I feel for those who have to do both of those. I did feel envious of a friend yesterday who was about to eat a very nice flapjack from our local wholefood shop - they are yummy, and i am a bit of an addict for flapjack (and porridge) so I asked her to turn her back on me whilst she ate it. Missing my bananas though

I have plenty to occupy my mind as I have a very large amount of paperwork to do at the moment before I go in. Brain suffering a little and my typing is not as good as usual and spell things wrong, but that could be just down to how much work my brain is having to do.

Glad you are doing ok, it is amazing what we can do when the correct motivation is there!

I do find that there are two side effects from the diet
1) I talk non-stop /waffle
2) I get fuddled with words/my cognition is affected

I can hear that I have said the wrong words or I give in and use another word because I can't quite get the right word!

I assume it is low blood sugar but I can't test it.

Glad you are doing ok, it is amazing what we can do when the correct motivation is there!

I do find that there are two side effects from the diet
1) I talk non-stop /waffle
2) I get fuddled with words/my cognition is affected

I can hear that I have said the wrong words or I give in and use another word because I can't quite get the right word!

I assume it is low blood sugar but I can't test it.
You are so right about motivation Hannah. My dietician said this would happen, and I hope it lasts until Sept 5th!

Having had cognition problems before due to various medical complaints, I have found that it is down to a lack of electrolytes in the brain and this diet would likely cause this. These are the things they put in solutions like Dioralyte which you can take when you have diarrhea. I have taken them before and they have helped, but now I have found a bottled water called 'smartwater' that has added electrolytes, so have been drinking that. Also on the water front I have found a fruit flavoured vitamin water with zero calories and a 'get more B vitamins' water, also fruity with natural flavours, and no calories. A welcome change from plain water as I am not one to get very thirsty, and this I find easier to drink than plain water so helping to keep me hydrated.

Received my surgery letter today. I am staying over the night before in the hospital's 'patient hotel' which is in the same building as where the surgery will take place as I have a long journey and they want me there for 7am! Wasn't expecting though that I would have to go to another building to the admissions lounge which is quite a hike through a maze of corridors and across a yard. I had to do this when I saw the surgeon and then had my first pre-op, and it was quite a hike and we got lost! Could do with a pedestrian sat nav! :airquote: I will be on my knees by the time i get there :worthy:

The admissions lounge is fairly easy to find, though not through the hospital! I think the hotel is in Bexley and the admissions lounge is Lincoln. It is sign posted but we parked in the car park at the back and tried to walk through the hospital. We got lost and ended up walking around the outside! Ask any member of staff and reception too on the ground floor of Bexley for directions! All my outpatient appts are Lincoln and I go in the main entrance as I can't find my way around. You'd never believe I used to work in that hosp as a student! There is a link corridor from Bexley to Lincoln, it's just finding it!

The admissions lounge is fairly easy to find, though not through the hospital! I think the hotel is in Bexley and the admissions lounge is Lincoln. It is sign posted but we parked in the car park at the back and tried to walk through the hospital. We got lost and ended up walking around the outside! Ask any member of staff and reception too on the ground floor of Bexley for directions! All my outpatient appts are Lincoln and I go in the main entrance as I can't find my way around. You'd never believe I used to work in that hosp as a student! There is a link corridor from Bexley to Lincoln, it's just finding it!
Yes, the hotel is on the top floor of Bexley and admissions in Lincoln. We too ended up outside trying to find the corridors. I am in Lincoln on Wednesday seeing Mary and pre-op so will at to see where it is. There is no reception after 4.30 on Sunday I have been told and have been given directions to the hotel. Probably not much at 6.30am on Monday either! I am also on my own with my luggage and a Rollator. :( I think I will be spending Sunday evening doing a recce between buildings!

I used to use the main entrance of Lincoln (although Blue Badge parking is rubbish) but then found i could get through from Chancellors car park which is better.

How is your recovery going?

Yes, the hotel is on the top floor of Bexley and admissions in Lincoln. We too ended up outside trying to find the corridors. I am in Lincoln on Wednesday seeing Mary and pre-op so will at to see where it is. There is no reception after 4.30 on Sunday I have been told and have been given directions to the hotel. Probably not much at 6.30am on Monday either! I am also on my own with my luggage and a Rollator. :( I think I will be spending Sunday evening doing a recce between buildings!

I used to use the main entrance of Lincoln (although Blue Badge parking is rubbish) but then found i could get through from Chancellors car park which is better.

How is your recovery going?

It's a nightmare isn't it. I think to get to the link corridor is near a lift but we couldn't find it! Maybe it's easier to come out of Bexley a the main front exit onto Beckett St and walk down towards the main entrance and go into Lincoln that way! That's what I would do if I had to do it again! The admissions unit is near where you see Mary. Think you see Mary on 1st floor and admissions is above it, 2nd floor. The doors don't open til 7 - there was a queue to get in when I arrived! When you go in, there is a board - look for your name and that's the bed you need! I say bed, I mean trolley, lol!

HDU, I was in Bexley wing before going to ward after that. Make sure you know what is in every bag - HDU need a full inventory, which they will do on admissions. Especially anything valuable.

I'm ok, thanks. Think I'm getting there, See M next week too, at a different site, on a different day. Saw surgeon this week and research team, all seems to be going ok, but there are some things I want to ask her. Must make a list.

It's a nightmare isn't it. I think to get to the link corridor is near a lift but we couldn't find it! Maybe it's easier to come out of Bexley a the main front exit onto Beckett St and walk down towards the main entrance and go into Lincoln that way! That's what I would do if I had to do it again! The admissions unit is near where you see Mary. Think you see Mary on 1st floor and admissions is above it, 2nd floor. The doors don't open til 7 - there was a queue to get in when I arrived! When you go in, there is a board - look for your name and that's the bed you need! I say bed, I mean trolley, lol!

HDU, I was in Bexley wing before going to ward after that. Make sure you know what is in every bag - HDU need a full inventory, which they will do on admissions. Especially anything valuable.

I'm ok, thanks. Think I'm getting there, See M next week too, at a different site, on a different day. Saw surgeon this week and research team, all seems to be going ok, but there are some things I want to ask her. Must make a list.
Glad all seems to be going ok. Thanks for all the tips :) I hope it won't be raining! Don't like the sound of the trolley :( How long do you spend on that??

Glad all seems to be going ok. Thanks for all the tips :) I hope it won't be raining! Don't like the sound of the trolley :( How long do you spend on that??

The trolley is made up with a sheet and pillow, it's like an A&E trolley. They're ok. I was at the end near the private rooms and there is a closed balcony you can get to for some air. It was a stinking hot day when I was there. I spent time in a chair, time on the trolley, time in the balcony thing and time outside Lincoln wing in the rain, as I was waiting a long time. I was 2nd on the list for surgery, 7th in line for a HDU bed... (last!) The place staff are good - I was able to leave them my mobile in case I was called and go outside to chill and get off the ward. I didn't get changed until I knew I was definitely going to theatre. And then it was a rush! I also had a different surgeon to the one I'd seen months ago! But his name was on the op letter so it wasn't too much of a suprise, but I met him on the operating table!!!

The trolley is made up with a sheet and pillow, it's like an A&E trolley. They're ok. I was at the end near the private rooms and there is a closed balcony you can get to for some air. It was a stinking hot day when I was there. I spent time in a chair, time on the trolley, time in the balcony thing and time outside Lincoln wing in the rain, as I was waiting a long time. I was 2nd on the list for surgery, 7th in line for a HDU bed... (last!) The place staff are good - I was able to leave them my mobile in case I was called and go outside to chill and get off the ward. I didn't get changed until I knew I was definitely going to theatre. And then it was a rush! I also had a different surgeon to the one I'd seen months ago! But his name was on the op letter so it wasn't too much of a suprise, but I met him on the operating table!!!

That was a very long wait!!!
That is all very helpful thanks. :) Can I ask you another question please? For some reason before I got my letter about admissions in Lincoln I thought the surgery would take place in Bexley and that was where HDU was as that is where I saw my consultant. In trying to find out some contact info of where I would be for my friend to ring I see there is an HDU also in Lincoln. This may seem a daft question but with so little info being given, and being a bear with very little brain on my pre-op diet, is the surgery in Lincoln too please? I have only been used to little hospitals where everything is in the same place... Thanks

That was a very long wait!!!
That is all very helpful thanks. :) Can I ask you another question please? For some reason before I got my letter about admissions in Lincoln I thought the surgery would take place in Bexley and that was where HDU was as that is where I saw my consultant. In trying to find out some contact info of where I would be for my friend to ring I see there is an HDU also in Lincoln. This may seem a daft question but with so little info being given, and being a bear with very little brain on my pre-op diet, is the surgery in Lincoln too please? I have only been used to little hospitals where everything is in the same place... Thanks

I don't know. There are a fair few operating theatres in the hospital. Personally, my op was in Bexley wing and HDU was next door. Then the ward I went to was next door to that, but I was lucky for that ward, as there were several which were discharging patients. Your friend can ring the general switchboard number and give your name and they will put you through to the ward and nursing staff. When I was in HDU, there was free wifi but I couldn't get signal. The nurse got my phone for me and I could message my family using whatsapp (or any other messaging service!)

The admissions lounge also gave my mum the numbers that bariatric patients commonly go to. There was also the number for HDU, which is commonly used. If you ask for that you could give it or text it to your friend. I would imagine that as there are so few bariatric ops taking place that they use the same theatre and HDU but I don't know.

I don't know. There are a fair few operating theatres in the hospital. Personally, my op was in Bexley wing and HDU was next door. Then the ward I went to was next door to that, but I was lucky for that ward, as there were several which were discharging patients. Your friend can ring the general switchboard number and give your name and they will put you through to the ward and nursing staff. When I was in HDU, there was free wifi but I couldn't get signal. The nurse got my phone for me and I could message my family using whatsapp (or any other messaging service!)

The admissions lounge also gave my mum the numbers that bariatric patients commonly go to. There was also the number for HDU, which is commonly used. If you ask for that you could give it or text it to your friend. I would imagine that as there are so few bariatric ops taking place that they use the same theatre and HDU but I don't know.
Thanks :) All very useful info and I have sent my friend the main number for now.

Well first week of pre-op over and I have lost 13lbs so now down to half a pound over 22st! Have mainly kept away from other people with food, and now don't feel particularly hungry. In fact I keep forgetting to eat and I have issued hard hats :pillowfight: to my colleagues who I cannot keep away from as we have just set up a Community Interest Company, and I have to finish the business plan and three funding applications before next Sunday! My patience waiting for information has been sorely tested and failed!!

Certainly noticing a drop in energy, mainly physically and some brain fog which is affecting my memory and ability to type! Have been regularly checking glucose levels (except for the day it decided stop working and i had to get a replacement which was no easy task as the nurse at the surgery who issues them was on holiday) and they have mainly been ok. Stopped my metformin on Tuesday (had stopped Sitaglitin on first day of pre-op). My diet has mainly been milk, yoghurt and some Slimfast, and the odd spoonful of 40g protein of cottage cheese (don't tell Mary!) :whip: but I have seen others on here who have used Slimfast...

Had a great Thai Yoga massage yesterday so that would also have helped detox the liver :rolleyes:

Have also treated myself to new pj's and new undies so I can walk around without them falling down :kissass:

Have dietitian and pre-op on Wednesday, plus possibly a bit of a recce of where to go on Monday morning, and as it is a long journey ... it is going to be a long day ...... o_O Mustn't forget to take plenty of milk with me :waterbottle:

Well, what a week! As fast as I get through my to-do list this week I find more to add of things that need doing that I won't be up for doing after Monday for a few weeks, such as finishing off a business plan, packing for off to hospital in less than 24 hours time, catching up on all the washing, particularly cushion covers etc, pet beds, and it is pouring with rain. :( Plus putting things where I can reach them and not have to bend down and twist to get into cupboards.

As I didn't know how much I would lose on LRD I have not got rid of any clothes recently, and also didn't want to tempt providence before surgery, but getting annoyed with my jeans and underwear now sliding down. :rolleyes: Will need to have a good clear out as soon as i am fit enough to do such things. Looking forward to ordering some new jeans when i get home, although not the turning up as I am a short arse:rolleyes:

Recently I've been thinking about how to change the cats litter boxes after my op. The sack of litter is heavy, my husband is disabled so can't do them and my son has gone back to uni. It's strange what starts to worry you.

Good luck with your list.

Recently I've been thinking about how to change the cats litter boxes after my op. The sack of litter is heavy, my husband is disabled so can't do them and my son has gone back to uni. It's strange what starts to worry you.

Good luck with your list.
What about decanting the litter into small bags or a big tub with a lid and then scooping it out from there? You can also get litter tray liners so they can just be taken out and thrown away, leaving the tray clean (hopefully) to put another one in. I buy large bags of dry cat food and have it in a box at waist height with a scoop.

I have also decanted my big bottles of Persil into small plastic bottles so I don't have to lift the heavy ones.

What about decanting the litter into small bags or a big tub with a lid and then scooping it out from there? You can also get litter tray liners so they can just be taken out and thrown away, leaving the tray clean (hopefully) to put another one in. I buy large bags of dry cat food and have it in a box at waist height with a scoop.

Those are both good ideas. I'll have to add litter tray liners to my list of things to buy.
Thank you, and sorry for hi-jacking your thread with my worries.

Those are both good ideas. I'll have to add litter tray liners to my list of things to buy.
Thank you, and sorry for hi-jacking your thread with my worries.
No probs. A worry shared is a worry halved. :)

Back