• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

scared as hell llol

brad scott

Hi all my names brad im 29 and going in for gastric bypass on the 9th of march im really scared how will i cope with eating? will i like healthy food? can i do it? i have been reading some of your post and this site really feels like a family im hoping that i can make some truly great friends on here.....
Could any one suggest some good books on recipies etc i am doing this for my self and my family my amazing son deserves a dad who can run and play football with him but i have struggled all my life with dieting i am 22 and a half stone i have lost the 10 pounds i need for surgery im looking forward to the new me

HI Brad and :welcome: to the forum! Well done on getting so far in your journey already, that's fantastic.

'Return to slender' is a cookbook specifically tailored to people who have had bariatric surgery. You can get it here www.bariatriccookery.com

I can relate to your fears very much. I was so worried about what I was going to be able to eat afterwards. Now I find that 8 weeks out, I can eat pretty much anything I want, so long as it's reasonably low in fat and sugar. The choice is vast! and yummy! So do not worry about that.

Hi Brad,

Welcome to the site. I am still pre op, but can totally relate to how you are feeling. Most people seem to be able to eat quite well after their ops so I am sure you will adjust, especially as you see the weight drop off.

The cookery book recommended by blueeyes is really good, I bought it a few weeks ago. It has been written by a lady called Carole who is in UK (so many are USA and we can't always find ingredients here), who has gone through a gastric bypass herself, def. worth buying.

I don't know whether it will help you or not, but I started to cut right down on chocs, high fat foods etc just after Christmas, and have been following a fairly strict diet since my pre-op appt. I think this is helping to get my mind focused on 'healthy foods'

You will get lots of support and make lots of friends here.

Hi Brad,
Welcome to this forum. There are some amazing people on here who will answer all your questions and give you great support. You have done really well to lose the pre-op weight and I'm sure you will cope really well after surgery.
Von

Hi Brad, the best info is going to come from reading bypassers' posts on here. There are tons of great people who fall over themselves to offer support and advice and pretty much everything is covered that you can imagine.
I think if you take some time out to read through and ask lots of questions, you will feel a lot less aprehensive and realise that any problem can be overcome and the benefits after surgery will really outweigh any worries you have now.

Hi Brad and welcome to the site. I've found that my tastes in food have changed a lot since the bypass - we have to eat good nutritious food that packs lots of protein and vitamins and we get fuller quicker so pick out food that 'lasts' longer. I've found my body actually wants to eat healthy now and I look forward to fruit etc. rather than snacks like crisps.
Best of luck on your WLS journey and keep us posted!

Hi Brad, welcome to the forum - you're on the right track here - there's plenty of good, friendly advice and support just when you need it... Sounds like you're doing really well if you've met the target that was set.

Good luck with the surgery - not long now!!!

Hi Brad. Nice to meet you. My biggest worry pre op was based around the fact that I like BIG meals not unhealthy meals but just a lot of whatever I was eating. Within a week after surgery something clicked in my brain and now its not something that I worry about. My brain and my stomach somehow caught up with each other. Don't get me wrong, when people around me are tucking into giant portions and I'm eating a saucer of food I still feel a bit left out, but it is no where near as hard as I thought it would be.

Good luck with your journey and welcome to the family!

hi and welcome

Welcome and good luck ... I too am ‘pre op’ and had some concerns about such a dramatic change of lifestyle . . . my problem is not eating through the day and pigging out early evening (always on take always) and who doesn’t love fish and chips (if you have ever had fish and chips in Yorkshire, you will know what I mean) but it seems that once the op has settled you can eat pretty much what you like it is the amount you eat which will change – so I will be having a lightly battered fish. While folks are eating steak and chips we will be having steak and salad – I understand that a 6 – 7oz steak is acceptable post op and that if you eat the steak with a little salad you wouldn’t be able to eat the chips even if you want to !

Hi Brad and :welcome: to WLS...dont be scared you will be fine! My tastes have completely changed since my op which was less than 5 months ago.....I am really enjoying the food I can have and cant honestly say Ive missed anything :D Thats not to say I havnt thought about junk food etc I have but it just doesnt seem to have any hold over me any more ....its a great feeling.......good luck with your journey XX

:welcome:Great to see you and wanting to send you the warmest welcome and every good wish on your wls journey... love and hugs xxx

Hi Brad and welcome. Dont worry about the food issue . . to be quite honest if someone had told me that I would not crave food post op I would have thought they were totally mad and would not have believed them for a minute. I still enjoy food but it no longer is uppermost in my thoughts . . the 'mmmm now what shall I have for supper' . .or 'what can I go and get from the fridge to nibble on now' has totally gone! I actually have to remind myself to eat regularly . . how wierd is that!! If you think you are hungry it is probably head hunger not real hunger at all. I still think I can eat quite a bit and then when I have to leave 2/3'rds of it I am still suprised! Result.

Good luck on your journey.

Welcome and good luck ... I too am ‘pre op’ and had some concerns about such a dramatic change of lifestyle . . . my problem is not eating through the day and pigging out early evening (always on take always) and who doesn’t love fish and chips (if you have ever had fish and chips in Yorkshire, you will know what I mean) but it seems that once the op has settled you can eat pretty much what you like it is the amount you eat which will change – so I will be having a lightly battered fish. While folks are eating steak and chips we will be having steak and salad – I understand that a 6 – 7oz steak is acceptable post op and that if you eat the steak with a little salad you wouldn’t be able to eat the chips even if you want to !

Welcome to the site Brad, firstly i have to say i am blessed with the fact that there has been hardly anything i couldn't tolerate once on solids. I can eat any kind of bread, i don't dump on sugar foods either... I have to warn you and the person who put the post above that your tastes will change and for the better. I have spent most of my working life working in take away fish n chip shops and loved all of the food, now i can barely stand walking past one and on the odd occasion i've gone in for the kids i've breathed through my mouth the whole time i was there as the smell of the grease is almost unbearable... Chocolate for about 5 months had no appeal to me either, now depending on womens problems i'm pretty good at ignoring it apart from that special time of the month and then i want it but not as badly as pre op! As for a 6-7 oz steak? No chance! And i can eat a decent portion. At the weekend i went to the pub with my hubby and i managed half the chicken breast they dished up and a bit of mash, no way even i could do 6 oz of steak and i love the stuff!

Your habits will change but for the better. You will have demons to fight whether its the odd pack of crisps that starts turning into 2 or 3 again but with the right frame of mind you'll get there.

A lot of pre oppers sit in judgement of post op people thinking it's wrong that we have the odd pack of crisps or chocolate bar but what you have to remember is this, a little bit won't hurt you. It's a lifetime i've not understanding or listening when you overdo your 'little bit' that did this and you can't go back there....

Use this site to find out all you need to know and never ever be afraid to ask anything, someone will share their experiences with you xx

Oh yes, one more thing i forgot to tell you, something i never ever expected....

Salad is very filling, just a little bit is! Absolutely amazing :) x

Back