• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Shrinking from 25 stone......

Hi lottie you are really doing well and have clearly done a lot of research, I have found this forum invaluable and I'm so pleased I signed up the advice and support is so helpful, I also live in Norfolk and it usually takes me about 3 sometimes 3.5 hours to get to L and D but we do stop on route, usually for a costa !! It can be frustrating as the appointments are quite short, except for the first one but I just focus on the end result, well hopefully, do you have any comorbidities such as COPD or are you diabetic and do you know your BMI as these things make a difference at L and D in the assessment time, mine is 1 year but it's possible that yours could be 6 months, although this doesn't unfortunately mean, if accepted, you will have your surgery then it does only mean you get onto the list quicker, good luck with you journey x

Hey hun and fellow NORFOLK gal ;) oh thanks my hubby and dad will be taking me to Luton appointments-when we ( fx) get that far, as I don't drive due to mental health. Oh yes Costa Coffee stops are a MUST. Had a skinny cappuccino in one today.

Don't have diabetes but my levels were raised. My BMI was 51 when I went for the initial appointment ( it's 50.4 now ;) ) not sure IF that makes a difference. Have read if it's over 50 they may see you sooner but not sure that applies at Luton as not been there yet.

It's been less than 2 weeks since I saw the consultant at norwich hospital and it feel like it's forever ago.

Xxxx

Hi Lottie

I am only short - my 10 stone target in my stats is simply an interim target I set myself as I cannot remember being 10 stone. It is not based on a BMI value and it was not set by my surgeon. I might make it down to 10 stone, I might not, or I might set a lower target when I get down there - right now it still feels unachieveable, but I take things one day at a time and work at getting my head in the right place, which in my opinion is the key to successful WLS.

Yep my head needs some help to get in thr right place with emotional eating. But I have recognised I am an emotional eater and when I binge so hope that's a start.

I set my target at 10 stone but it's just a nice round number and was in the middle of a healthy BMI. My goal weight is set to be a size 14 to 16 in clothes. I hope.

Xxxx

This is great advice ..
I also set my self a sensible achievable goal .. dropping from 25st 8lb to my goal of 16st was a good figure in my head .. weigh 16 size 16 .. that's how I want to be .. so when I get there , I can feel proud .. but who knows when I get there I may decide to drop a bit more ..
xxx

I like the idea of setting targets/intrim targets espically . My next one is to get to 22.10 and I can use the hollister body spray I've got :) I am so sad. But it keeps me on track.

Xxxx

Well another day on track-but with a few to many walnuts this time. Why can't I just stick to a 20g serving. I even measure them our and put them in a pot. But when I was doing the washing up tonight kept sneaking 2 more in again and again. I wasn't hungry as had had steak salad with mushrooms and Tom for tea.

Walked nearly 5000 steps today. I try and walk between 6-7000 a day. I have ME/CFS and struggle with the recommended 10000.

It is my sons 5th birthday (today now) we are going out for tea. Carvery so will eat the meat and veggies as trying to cut down on cars. No pudding for me. But one for my birthday boy ;) I so want to be healthier to be around for him as long as possible. I can't even walk him to and from school. A 40 min roundtrip. I can't walk that far. I need to do this...

Xxx

The food diary is another top tip I would give someone .. I write everything down and approx time .. then I know if Im hungry or just bored ..
Admitting your failings when it comes to food , for me anyway , was part of my healing .. admitting I am a massive carb addict , that I don't in fact have an off button when it comes to food , that I don't need an excuse to to just stuff my face .. I have an addicted personality ..
Also rewarding ourselves with food ? What is that all about ?
We loose 2lbs so we think we need a reward .. But , we are in fact rewarding ourselves with the very thing that makes us miserable. It's bizzare ... I try now to reward myself with beauty products . Things that I can get more out of than a quick 5 mins of chewing that will leave me feeling so low in self esteem .. my bathroom and dressing table has never looked so opulent! I now sit and play with makeup instead of eating junk .. where I would have bought myself a tub of Ben and Jerry's as a ' treat ' , I now browse around in Boots and Superdrug's.. so I guess I've swapped one addiction for another ..
This journey is a healing of the head and the heart , so be ready to be angry , hurt , totally rock bottom .. But you will feel so amazing at the end of it , I promise ..
mindy
Xxx

and when I don't eat enough during the day and binge eat after tea or in the eve.
Xxxxx
That is one of my patterns too, and knowing it has helped a lot. I now try to balance out my meals better through the day, and avoid eating too late in the evening.
Also it has been helpful after the surgery as if I leave eating too late then I tend to rush my meal, and believe me - that ever ends well!

Thank you guys will answer you properly tomorrow. I am so so tired now.

But got weighed in at sw today and I am 23.1 so down 5lbs from my hospital appointment 2 weeks ago.

Xxxx

The food diary is another top tip I would give someone .. I write everything down and approx time .. then I know if Im hungry or just bored ..
Admitting your failings when it comes to food , for me anyway , was part of my healing .. admitting I am a massive carb addict , that I don't in fact have an off button when it comes to food , that I don't need an excuse to to just stuff my face .. I have an addicted personality ..
Also rewarding ourselves with food ? What is that all about ?
We loose 2lbs so we think we need a reward .. But , we are in fact rewarding ourselves with the very thing that makes us miserable. It's bizzare ... I try now to reward myself with beauty products . Things that I can get more out of than a quick 5 mins of chewing that will leave me feeling so low in self esteem .. my bathroom and dressing table has never looked so opulent! I now sit and play with makeup instead of eating junk .. where I would have bought myself a tub of Ben and Jerry's as a ' treat ' , I now browse around in Boots and Superdrug's.. so I guess I've swapped one addiction for another ..
This journey is a healing of the head and the heart , so be ready to be angry , hurt , totally rock bottom .. But you will feel so amazing at the end of it , I promise ..
mindy
Xxx

I LOVE carbs too-They are my downfall-BUT on Slimming world pasta and rice and pot isn't restricted. At least I know when I tend to eat more. I keep a food diary online which is good to look back on.

Yes I to have been guilty of rewarding myself with food-NOT now its clothes Lol! Oh I need to get into make up more-I dont know what suites me. I still have the same make up from my wedding 6 years ago this yr! I do wash my brushes out!lol.

Yep it will be an emotional journey but I am hoping it will be worth it in the long run,

HUGS

xxxx

That is one of my patterns too, and knowing it has helped a lot. I now try to balance out my meals better through the day, and avoid eating too late in the evening.
Also it has been helpful after the surgery as if I leave eating too late then I tend to rush my meal, and believe me - that ever ends well!

No i have heard that you need to be carful when eating after surgery-something about the 202020 rule. xxx

So have had a busy weekend lots of steps at the dino park yesterday walking around. BUT today has been my son birthday party-So Have had Pizza and pot skins-NOT the healthy day but heyho. Back on track tomorrow-sine being on SW I dont let 1 bad meal become 1 bad day, which leads to sevral bad day, which leads to a bad week. I get back on track the next day :) which is positive :)

So its half term this week-Here to hoping by my son birthday next year I will be under 20 stone and be nearer to an op date. FX

xxxx

Morning Lottie
The only thing with Slimming World is that although it is a brilliant diet , it does not teach portion control .. it tells us to fill our plates up with all the good , healthy foods .. stuff our faces really ..
As a Bander I can't do this , I have to think about what's on my plate and the amount etc .. So just keep this in mind when your following it ..Maybe treat yourself to one of those weight loss surgery plates ?
When I had my surgery , and was on solids , I actually bought myself a cat bowl lol .. I kid you not .. it was the perfect size and depth .. for cereals , dinner and snacks .. this taught me how much I could eat comfortably.. if I had used a normal plate I would have over served myself and then would have eaten it all , without thinking ..
I can now serve myself up the right amount for me without thinking .. But I do serve my cereal up in a coffee cup otherwise I still have a habit of serving way to much .. 1/4 coffee cup of mixed cereal ( grape nuts, all bran and sugar free muesli ) a small amount of milk and top it with full fat Greek yogurt .. this way it's reasonably dry but very tasty :)
One of the most surprising things about the surgery is finding out that I don't actually have to eat a lot to be healthy .. long gone are the days of a full roast dinner piled up high on a steak plate .. The thought of all that food make sure me cringe now .. And I feel satisfied on that small amount ..
how are you feeling in general ?
Less sluggish and more alive ? Mentally sharper and alert ?
This time next year you won't even recognise the woman you were .. But you cannot look back as that path is now closed and cannot be changed .. I'm a great believer in no regrets .. it's a learning curve ..
mindy
Xxxx

^^ you are right hunny it doesn't teach your portion control at all. As you are told you can eat as much free food as you can. I do try and have 3 meals and 1 afternoon snack which is a hifi bar and fruit. I don't alway have breakfast but today I just had 1 hardboiled egg. Not great as there was no free food. Bit at least it was protein to fill me up.

I have seen those plates. Will definitely get one at some point. I have tried eating my tea off my 5 yr old spiderman plate but it's just not enough to fill me up right now. But it's something I am going to HAVE to work on.

I have tried to up my protein a bit. Not easy with slimming world with cheese as u are only allowed a certain amount.

I also find planning is the key. I am going round a friend tomorrow for lunch and she knows I am on slimming world. But because I will be round there all day and won't have my normal 2 hour ME /CFS nap than I will be tired when I get home so cooked a quorn chilli and just got to cook the brown rice when I get home.

I like it how your portion control you food hun cereal in a coffee cup. Might steel this idea. I am allowed 40g oats. But sometimes have 20g with almond milk and cinnamon and save it for a hifi bar later :) I have Greek yog. In aldi the low fat one had more protein than the full fat. Bit not sure about sugars. Oh I have ALOT to learn.

I am so so looking forward to being satisfied by a small amount. Off whatever food I am eating. Fx it will work for me.

I am feeling better. I do find I slump about 3-4pm but have my hifi bar and a pear today and we atend tea about 6pm. I am TRYING not to eat anything bit fruit after 7pm. I know it would probably be better IF I didn't eat anything but hubby often has cheese and crackers at 10pm and I struggle to not eat anything when he's eating. He's 6 f 3 and is 12 to 13 stone and has a busy job so I can't teĺl him not to eat it. Think he's a little unsure about op and would rather I did it with healthy eating and exercise but I do that loose 3 stone go off track and start again. I can't keep the weight off :(

I hope I hear something soon about an appointment somewhere. To think where I could be by my 5 year old 7th birthday amazes me.

You are right Mindy just got to keep looking forward. To the next 1 lbs down at the mo :)

Xxxx

RIGHT well alot has happened since i last posted.

Major crisis hubby decided he can't take my mental health anymore and we have split up. I am deverstated.

Also been in a psychatric hospital for 4 weeks and am still struggling.

My weight has gone up and down a few lbs. I now weigh dead on 23 stone. Think my BMI is 50.4

Went swimming for the first time today in about a year.

Trying to do 7000 step a day ( my ME stops me doing anymore)

Not heard ANYTHING from the hospital. ..but my head is not in the right place to push.

I did say to my psychiatrist I refused to be put back on anti psychotic meds that DONT help me and just make me gain weight.

Am also stopped doing slimming world due to being in hospital and NOT having control over the food I am eating. Am choosing at least a jacket pot with beans every other day in hospital. Had 2 puddings a choc brownie and mocha cream but that's it since I have been there and alway have salad with meals ( slimming world is still with me) and just fruit for puddings

But due to the split up and my dla being stopped I can't afford to go to Sw anymore. Am trying to stick to under 1800 ( I think hard to count hospital food) cals a day which is still a lot but I am hungry if I cut down anymore.

From tomorrow am going to add what I eat up and TRY and stop eating cars after 4pm and not eat after 7pm or if I do fruit. Still drinking my decaf tea and coffee with skimmed milk though.

I NEED to do this I need my son to have a healthy mummy.

Xxxxx

^^Thank you xxx

I'm sorry to hear your sad news, you will get through this we are stronger than we think, hope you have a circle of good friend and family for support and remember we are here too x

Thank you hun. Yep mum and dad have been amazing. Some friends have been great unfortunately others have shown there true colours :( and not even replied to texts. BUT I have to get through this for my son-I love him.

Xxxx

It's time like this that you find who your true friends really are, good that mum and dad are supportive and as I said you WILL get through this, how old is your son ? X

Sending you huge hugs. That's so much for you to deal with and it sounds like you're trying incredibly hard in very difficult circumstances indeed x

It's time like this that you find who your true friends really are, good that mum and dad are supportive and as I said you WILL get through this, how old is your son ? X

Thank you hun. Our son has just turned 5. Because of my severe mental health problems ( plonged pnd, bpd, bed, social anxiety and depression ) hes going to live with his dad...but I will get to see him every day bar sat. It's go into be strange.

Xxxx

Back