• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Shropshire Newbie

soozy

Hi Everyone
I am 57yrs old married with three grown up children. I have high blood pressure and an under active thyroid and basically after trying everything else and not wanting to die too early have decided its now or never for surgery. Not sure between the bypass and sleeve yet. Its a massive no going back step and I've made the first one.

Hi Everyone
I am 57yrs old married with three grown up children. I have high blood pressure and an under active thyroid and basically after trying everything else and not wanting to die too early have decided its now or never for surgery. Not sure between the bypass and sleeve yet. Its a massive no going back step and I've made the first one.

Hi Soozy, welcome to the forum. I'm in Shropshire too! :)

Congratulations on making that decision to go for it, it really is the first step. How exciting! Lots of research to be done but you've found a great place in this forum. Are you going down the nhs route or private? I had a bypass nearly 9 weeks ago, with the nhs. So far so good. :)

Good luck with your journey :)

Hi Everyone I am 57yrs old married with three grown up children. I have high blood pressure and an under active thyroid and basically after trying everything else and not wanting to die too early have decided its now or never for surgery. Not sure between the bypass and sleeve yet. Its a massive no going back step and I've made the first one.

Hi there also from Shropshire and had a sleeve done nearly a year ago. It was definitely the best decision I've ever made. Good luck with your own journey.

Hello and a warm welcome to you soozy!
Taking the first steps are exciting , thinking and visualisation on your new life , body fills your head! Like BFB said do your research look through the many threads on all the types of WLS available talk to the professional team that will be supporting you.
I had a bypass nearly 9 months ago weight loss of around 9 months , nearly 13 stone altogether and I couldn't be happier
good luck to you I look forward to seeing your next posting

Thanks for the welcome guys. My group appointment is not until the 5th October and the nurse seems to think from now till surgery will be about 10 months. How long did you all wait? I have been researching like a maniac and still not sure about which op but I know no one can make that choice for me. Is 57 old for weight loss surgery and then theres the dreaded skin.lol

I didn't wait too long really. I was referred in the middle of September, first consultation a month later, then the group seminar a month after that. I had my op in April so it was 7 months from start to finish. I could have had my op 3 weeks earlier than I did but I opted to wait. Nah, 57 isn't too old! I'm sure there are people on here that are older that have had surgery. :)

Gosh start to finish in 7 months is really fast. I had my first appointment at the Princess Royal in Telford with Mr Portell. BFB you are doing so well and an unbelievably excellent 100lb since September I hope you really proud of yourself. Well done you !!!

It felt really fast too. Once I'd had the seminar in November, I was away 2 weeks in December, then I was ill for about 6 weeks at new year, then at my consultation in Feb they offered me the surgery date so it was all systems go! Thank you for pointing out that 100lbs thing, I hadn't noticed. Thank you, I am chuffed. That's my surgeon! Lovely man. I met him for the first time on the morning of my surgery :D

They'll probably advise you which op might be best, but you'll get a lot of information at the group seminar. It was really helpful and they had a patient that had surgery a few months ago, so everyone was quizzing him. It was very useful. Do you know about the support group?

It's at PRH, every 6 weeks or so. It's for people having or have had surgery but if you google SATH bariatric, details should come up. I've only been to one but it was nice to meet others, it was only an hour or so. Maybe something to think about as you go along your journey. :)

Thanks for that I will have a look. Having looked on here for other Telford/Shrewsbury folk I have noticed the waiting time has been really quick in the past so I hope my 10 months is not really 10 months. Does everyone just want to get it over with as soon as possible. Perhaps that's just fear in my case - I don't want to chicken out. Food wise I feel out of control for some reason.

Thanks for that I will have a look. Having looked on here for other Telford/Shrewsbury folk I have noticed the waiting time has been really quick in the past so I hope my 10 months is not really 10 months. Does everyone just want to get it over with as soon as possible. Perhaps that's just fear in my case - I don't want to chicken out. Food wise I feel out of control for some reason.
Hi, i'm from Telford too and near my surgery date, any questions please fire away :)

I would have been ok to wait a bit longer really, but once op day came, I wanted that to come and go as quickly as possible! I wasn't keen on having surgery for years and I only reallly seriously thought about it in Sept 2014 when my lovely GP said it was there if I wanted it. I had my op in April so I had a lot to get my head around. Its a massive change and commitment, the worry of the op, if things go wrong, being committed to making it work, mourning the loss of foods, being able to comfort eat, life changing stuff. It's not just a physical journey, it's a huge head game and I didn't want to rush into it really. I did delay it by 3 weeks and I'm glad I took a bit longer to really make sure I was ready. But, I'd had enough of the crap I was eating, I was ready for change, and although I'm only 10 weeks out, everything is going well. I'm sticking to good foods, I actually don't want to eat crap anymore, I'm ready to exercise and become healthier and fitter. Hopefully this will last!!!

Maybe this is just me and other people don't over think things!!

Good luck :)

Just wanted to say hello and welcome, I'm not from your area but I was over 50 when I had my Bypass 19 months ago, now almost 12st down I am jumping for joy (literally) :D

Butterfly Lady I am about the same weight as when you started the pre op diet - a real inspiration for me. Thank you

Thanks for the welcome guys. My group appointment is not until the 5th October and the nurse seems to think from now till surgery will be about 10 months. How long did you all wait? I have been researching like a maniac and still not sure about which op but I know no one can make that choice for me. Is 57 old for weight loss surgery and then theres the dreaded skin.lol

Welcome. I had my first surgery, a band, in 2007 and converted to bypass 2 weeks ago today and I am 61. Too old? No way. Good luck with your choice. Research is the key. Look at it all warts and all.

Hugx

Hi everyone, My Onestop Bariatric ( sounds like the corner shop )at PRH has been changed with my new appointment the 14th September ( 5th October before).How long will I have to wait after this? Are you allowed to take anyone with you?

Hi everyone, My Onestop Bariatric ( sounds like the corner shop )at PRH has been changed with my new appointment the 14th September ( 5th October before).How long will I have to wait after this? Are you allowed to take anyone with you?
Hi Menasher, Just wondering how far I am in the process and roughly how much longer. Who is you surgeon? Bet your really excited and nervous now not long to go. How your pre op diet going?

Back