• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Silly things people say

shelleymarie

This isn't a thread about people being mean or anything like that but about some of the silly things people say as you start losing your weight. Things that actually make you laugh inside. I'll give you an example, one of my bosses is 9st and a light weight body builder. She has a great figure (not my thing being muscles and boobs but still), anyway since I've started losing weight and now we work together once a week she has started dieting! Even though she is 8st lighter than me she feels threatened by my weight loss. She knows this is stupid, we both do but I can't help but laugh and try and reassure her. I've had a couple of other people much smaller than me say they need to lose weight now I've lost so much and it really makes you think about whats going on in their head. Anyone else had silly comments like this since they started losing weight?

chrisa

Someone I used to work with Shelley was just the same, became an obsession with them and still is, whenever any one mentioned how much i had lost or how well I looked as I opened my mouth to speak she was in there, commenting, used to make me laugh, just an attention thing. x

Paula Garner

My mum is finding how little I can eat now extremely hard to cope with. She finds it really distressing and cannot comprehend how just a small plate of food fills me.

When we were in a cafe the other day, she felt compelled to tell the server that I can't eat and drink at the same time, as 'she's on a special diet'. I found it quite funny, but I can see how difficult it is for her to comprehend my change in eating habits.

chrisa

When I went away with the girls in the summer, one of my not so close friends said can you eta all that? I didnt think you could eat very much, I had a tea plate she had much more and went back and had soup and desert, some folks just have to show you up, she watched my every meal and commented every time. What a nosy git. I said I have put on my plate what I enjoy wether I eta it all or not depends on my stomach and so to her delight I couldnt eat it all, am sure it put her mind to rest. She like to know the inn and outs of a gnats fart x

Paula Garner

I get lots of people asking 'can you eat this' I get fed up of explaining I can eat a normal diet, but have to concentrate on protein, veggies and fluids.

Then they ask 'well what about cake? Or biscuits? Or crisps? It gets annoying !!

shelleymarie

I get lots of people asking 'can you eat this' I get fed up of explaining I can eat a normal diet, but have to concentrate on protein, veggies and fluids.

Then they ask 'well what about cake? Or biscuits? Or crisps? It gets annoying !!

lol well at least I'm not the only one. Cake and crisps? if only. It is hard to have to explain it so often but what people say make me laugh a lot. There is another girl a work who is pregnant that use to be so excited for me and my weight loss. She is now 8 months pregnant and we are about the same weight, she never says a thing any more other than to tell me not to say how much I weigh any more, when she was once my biggest supporter. I say to her that once she has had the baby she will lose again but it's so strange. People are strange! :eek:;)

chrisa

The most annoying thing I find is they ask you what you had done and you say a gastric bypass, they say when will you have it removed then or you've had the band, noooooo so sick of that one, you have to explain over and over again that its forever the band is a short term thing. x

Paula Garner

The most annoying thing I find is they ask you what you had done and you say a gastric bypass, they say when will you have it removed then or you've had the band, noooooo so sick of that one, you have to explain over and over again that its forever the band is a short term thing. x

Yep I get that too! Most people remind me of Nanna Royle, when she says "can she have a little bit of wafer thin ham Barbara?" I don't mind answering questions, as its the only way other people learn. But it gets so boorrriiinnnggg !!!

chrisa

Ithink people are idiots sometimes they talk down to us, eh how much have you lost now, you must have loads of loose skin, will you have atummy tuck, i say only if you are paying for it , and do you want to see my bingo wings? They are always amazed, that even some fat people can exercise and do just as much as some thin people. Why for someone thta has always been active why shouldnt we stay like that, n people even the docs have always assumed because I was over 24 stone thta I would have medical issues, bloo high bp, thyroid, heart probs, but hey not a thing other than sleep apnoea which didnt come to light till 8 months before my op. I was a medical mystery fit and healthy even though I was 24st 11lb.

Paula Garner

Same here Chrisa. I was active every day, whether I was in pain or not. I used to do all the exercises with my patients, unless I had to support them to do it. Vit D deficiency was all I had, and that was only discovered after bloods were done at my initial bariatric appt.

stuckinafatsuit

POPPED THAT FAT SUIT!
This always makes me laugh "is the weight loss going to stop"!! No its not, im going to fade away to nothing and dissappear!!

Kim

mariew

A great one is, did it work!!! Well, I am over 10 st lighter, what do you think?

And Chrisa, I think you'll find that a band is not a "Short term thing" The difference is that they can be removed if necessary, and they are adjustable. They were not intended as a short term measure.

Cath860

A now ex-friend (who is bone thin, by the way) said 'don't lose too much weight now will you'. I don't think it was out of concern for my wellbeing!! I would never feel jealous of a friend sorting their life out but hey, I guess some ppl do feel threatened in some weird way!

chrisa

Sorry Marie I only think of it as short term compared to life long, I know some people have it for years. Hope i didn't offend anyone. i also know it can have some nasty reprucussions as can bypass, i know its an efficient tool for most people in particular the wealthy.

shelleymarie

A now ex-friend (who is bone thin, by the way) said 'don't lose too much weight now will you'. I don't think it was out of concern for my wellbeing!! I would never feel jealous of a friend sorting their life out but hey, I guess some ppl do feel threatened in some weird way!

Oh absolutely, a "friend" asked me what my goal weight was and I said well officially it's 11 and half stone but to have a healthy weight I need to be 9 and half stone. At the mention of 11 and half stone she said oh yes that be good but to be 9 and half stone she was horrified, and said "Oh no, you would look terrible if you were that thin". How strange is that? For my height that is the maximum I should weigh according to the bmi scale. I Wonder why some people don't want me to get to that weight? I'm not sure I ever will, unlikely, but it makes me laugh that the mention of it makes some people panic! lol.

chrisa

The starngest thing is Even though we have been experiencing thi sjourney for so long I stil don't know all the answers my self, we all have our own thoughts n ideas but, when you 1st go to hospital you go with AN IDEA OF WHAT YOU THINK YOU WILL HAVE, i thought I would have a band till I read all the info and then thought thye might give me a balloon to help lose some weight before any other help, that freaked me out a bit, when i got there the nurse and doc said bypass, i then had to convince my hubby, which took some 6 or 7 months, i just trusted in the docs, n let them do their work x

lyzzyanne

Happy shrinking bypasser!
I get the too thin comment all the time and I have at least another 4 stone to lose. Its none of their business!!
I have had some very supportive people who have been brilliant, but even my mum has said you have to be very careful because you will over eat and burst your stomach, thanks mum give me a bit of credit!!!!

chrisa

mY SISTER TOLD ME SHE WAS DEAD PROUD OF ME BUT YOU COULD SEE THE WEIGHT LOSS ON MY FACE ESPECIALY THE LINES AROUND MY MOUTH, CHEERS FOR THAT ONE. sHE HAS BEEN BIT OFF WITH ME SINCE FEB TIME THIS YEAR WE STILL SPEAKN BUT MY OTHER SIS THINKS SHE MAY BE BIT JEALOUS SHE IS THE OLDEST AND i TH EYOUNGEST, SHE WAS ALWAYS SKINNY TIL MID 20'S NOW SHE IS SIZE 20-22. sHE GAVE ME A DRESS LAST xMAS ITS THE ONE ON MY PICTURE, i HAD THE SAME ONE IN A SIZE 32 AND HERS WAS A 20, ITS NOW TOO BIG FOR ME AND i HAVE ASKED HER IF SHE WANTS IT BACK, SHE NEVER DID ANSWER ME, TOUCHE i WOULD SAY, WOULDN'T YOU??

chrisa

mY SISTER TOLD ME SHE WAS DEAD PROUD OF ME BUT YOU COULD SEE THE WEIGHT LOSS ON MY FACE ESPECIALY THE LINES AROUND MY MOUTH, CHEERS FOR THAT ONE. sHE HAS BEEN BIT OFF WITH ME SINCE FEB TIME THIS YEAR WE STILL SPEAKN BUT MY OTHER SIS THINKS SHE MAY BE BIT JEALOUS SHE IS THE OLDEST AND i TH EYOUNGEST, SHE WAS ALWAYS SKINNY TIL MID 20'S NOW SHE IS SIZE 20-22. sHE GAVE ME A DRESS LAST xMAS ITS THE ONE ON MY PICTURE, i HAD THE SAME ONE IN A SIZE 32 AND HERS WAS A 20, ITS NOW TOO BIG FOR ME AND i HAVE ASKED HER IF SHE WANTS IT BACK, SHE NEVER DID ANSWER ME, TOUCHE i WOULD SAY, WOULDN'T YOU??

chrisa