• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

So, you get your funding ....

slimmerkay

Is that it then? You are DEFINATELY going to have the operation?

I was trying that silly thing off Eastenders last night. That cosmic book that Abbey had. You visualise what you want and say it out loud so that fate hears you and provides. Yeah right, if only it were that simple.

Sorry, edited to say I haven't got my funding as yet. Took my GP 3 weeks to send the application off and then only because I threatened to go down the complaints route.

Hello there

Well done on getting ur funding, Not sure how far u r along with your journey , have you seen the surgeon yet ??? If yes have they agreed to do your op??? and you been put on w/l for a date ??? If so and then u got funding and any health issues are/have been resolved I cannot see why the surgery should not go ahead. HTH

All the best - MeJulie x x x

Hi mejulie. Sorry I confused you there. Have added an edit to say I haven't got funding yet.

I don't actually have any health issues at present so hoping there will be no problems there.

hey sweetpea usually once you have funding you defo get op :)) might be some delays with tests etc but you get it xx

Thanks Kelly.

I've never been the most patient of people and all this uncertainty is driving me nuts. I'll be a nervous wreck by the time the operation date comes around.

I've never been the most patient of people and all this uncertainty is driving me nuts. I'll be a nervous wreck by the time the operation date comes around.
i know exactley how you feel...
It says a lot when I get to the door before the dog when the postman arrives in the morning ....
I am just waiting for one letter to tell me i have an appointment(last week it was about funding!)and that i am in the system.

Hi there

Just to let you know that once you get funding, it is not a definite surgery will follow.

Funding is granted, then you have to see various people.

Different areas do it differently but you normally have to see a multi disciplinary team that consists of dieticians, endocrinologist and psychiatrist. You will also see a surgeon.

All these people have an influence on the decision but if they all agree this is the best route for you will qualify for surgery.

They may wish to put you through a weight management course for 6 months before surgery but sometimes they just either put you on waiting list or set a date.

Also even though you have a date set, if they get to the pre-op (whic contents vary from provider to provider) and they find a problem surgery can be delayed or cancelled.

There is no definite guarantee.

Once you have funding though, you are one step closer to possibly getting surgery, so keep on at your GP;)

o0o0oh i know how u feel girls i am on the boat, been through tests one after the other, i had my blood tested and been tested for OSA which now i am getting treatment for it, by using the CAPA every night, and now i am just waiting for my first appointment from homerton hospital, but it took at least 6 weeks till i have been referred as my doctor didnt know what to do and guess what her first referal send to addenbrrok where they do not any surgerys for losing weight, my friend helps me to press and fight till her send a fax and had the EOE CM calling my surgery and giude them, so i am just waiting now for my appointmen, i wish you all the best of luck.

Hi there

Just to let you know that once you get funding, it is not a definite surgery will follow.

Funding is granted, then you have to see various people.

Different areas do it differently but you normally have to see a multi disciplinary team that consists of dieticians, endocrinologist and psychiatrist. You will also see a surgeon.

All these people have an influence on the decision but if they all agree this is the best route for you will qualify for surgery.

They may wish to put you through a weight management course for 6 months before surgery but sometimes they just either put you on waiting list or set a date.

Also even though you have a date set, if they get to the pre-op (whic contents vary from provider to provider) and they find a problem surgery can be delayed or cancelled.

There is no definite guarantee.

Once you have funding though, you are one step closer to possibly getting surgery, so keep on at your GP;)

Thanks for that.

I have seen a dietician for 6 months - he was the first to refer me for WLS. I am now on my 3rd week of a weight management course. I hope they don't intend to make me do all that again.

Hi Karen hope you get your funding soon, but cazbandy is right i was told at my pre op that funding could get taken away at anytime so until i'm on that table i'm not believing it!!

o my god!!!!!! im now a NERVOUS WRECK well more of one!!!!!!!!!!! imagine if i dont get the op!!!! when ive done everthing theyve asked tooooo :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: ooo derooo i just thought well if you ve got to the stage of meeting wl target and surgery list its yours!!! ........ :(:(:(... karen im the same! i absolutly want everything last week! ha this is killing me :break_diet:

I hope i get mine before i'm 30th next year, i want to hit 30 thin or thinner. some people say it can take ages for funding and some say it can take well over a year for the op but i got my funding within a week . i think every area is different but its horrible not knowing how long things will take. i start in june and i have my first app with the group on the 20th of october so thats not that bad. fingers crossed yours is fast. xx

Oh god - to go through all the hoops etc and then get it taken from you? What a crushing blow that would be. They'd end up paying out a small fortune in psychaitric care!

Funding

I read lots of posts here about long wait for the funding so I thought I will check up on mine- yesterday, I have emailed couple of people on the Mr Sufi's team to check that they have applied (as I was told on my first appointment with Mr Sufi). so far just had couple of "out of office replies" (one dating 6th July!!!).

Anyway, do you think I should email my PCT and check with them?

So far, I have had all tests that Mr Sufi asked for and would like to have all in place and ready when I see him in October.

I'd be on the phone at 9am to your Pct but I am incredibly impatient! Good luck and please post how you get on,

Linski. x

It's so different for us all depending on where we live isn't it? In my case, my gp referred me, then I saw the bariatric surgical nurse (an absolute sweetie) who sent me away for three months to think about it and have cbt. Then I saw him again and he agreed to go ahead with the pre op tests and assign me to a surgeon. Now I've had all the tests except for one, a pre-op assessment later this month. then in sept I'm back to see the nurse again. At that point if the tests were all ok I presume he will apply for funding and put me on the waiting list. Nothing has been mentioned about losing any weight, infact I think he's hoping I gain a little so I hit the required 50+bmi for automatic funding. I've yet to see the surgeon.

The waiting and not knowing is so hard... particularly as everyone seems to be having different experiences and the fact that PCTs and GPs have different approaches and criteria... I'm prepared to wait, but if I don't get the op on the NHS after two years from the start of the process this June, then I'll look at having it privately; even if I have to sell a kidney to pay for it...

Back