• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Starting to doubt that I'll ever get bypass

novamay

Born Free
I've had my balloon in Feb and went back to see the psych who recommended balloon before bypass to see if I could 'cope with restriction'. Well, he's moved the goalposts - now he's talking about a second balloon after this one to take me over the '6 month cusps of changing behaviours'... I can understand his reasoning, but I don't really want another balloon - I want something permanent - but he's determined that I can do it without surgery.... I just wish I was but I know myself to well - I'm sick of losing weight and then putting it all back on!

what do I do???? I think he kinda holds the strings - if he won't agree bypass then I don't think the surgeon will go ahead with it. :confused: I don't see the nurse again until May. I don't want to miss my chance of having the op this year what with all that's happening at the moment with the NHS.

Oh so sorry to hear that, If you have lost weight and been successful with the balloon I would fight him all the way and tell him you can loose weight you just can't keep it off. Which is what the bypass is for, and you would rather have a permanent solution rather than put your health at risk by yo yo dieting. Hope you get it sorted soon x

Personally, losing weight in the short term isn't the problem - its keeping the weight loss going long term and then keeping it off that's the problem. I've been dieting for 20 years and know I will never achieve my goal weight unless I do something permanent.

I would talk to the nurse as the surgeons are encouraging us to have surgery because they know dieting hasn't worked in the past so hopefully he'll disagree with the psychologist!?!

Best of luck hun x

thanks guys.

The surgeon agreed to put me on the list for bpyass when I saw him for the check up in May this year. I'd met the target weight loss, had the aponea tests, etc and was doing really well weight loss wise, but hadn't seen the psch then - who later said he wouldn't recommend it for me without knowing how I'd cope with restriction - hence the balloon. The surgeon wouldn't go against this decision then so I don't think he'll go against a second balloon/not having a bypass.

Is there any way you could fund going privately. I went to Brno in the Czech Republic for a Vertical Gastric Sleeve. You may find that would do the trick and you don't need a full bypass which is a much more drastic operation.

novamay said:
thanks guys.

The surgeon agreed to put me on the list for bpyass when I saw him for the check up in May this year. I'd met the target weight loss, had the aponea tests, etc and was doing really well weight loss wise, but hadn't seen the psch then - who later said he wouldn't recommend it for me without knowing how I'd cope with restriction - hence the balloon. The surgeon wouldn't go against this decision then so I don't think he'll go against a second balloon/not having a bypass.

Fight it. It seems crazy to me. It really does. I am a recovered bulimic. I met a psychologist for 20 mins. She said I seemed like I now have a healthy relationship with food and would recommended that I was fine to continue.

Madness!

Last edited:
Its funny isn't it? I asked if I would see her again and when she said no, I told her I thought it was ludicrous and I felt that I would do better if I had some therapy input. She said if I struggled then she would be allowed to see me but otherwise there was no funding. Gotta love it, no?

Yvessa said:
Its funny isn't it? I asked if I would see her again and when she said no, I told her I thought it was ludicrous and I felt that I would do better if I had some therapy input. She said if I struggled then she would be allowed to see me but otherwise there was no funding. Gotta love it, no?

What a joke!!! Lol

Back