• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

STRANGER IN THE CAMP !!!!

staypositive

On The Losing Side
Hi all,
not many of you guys will remember me - but as is the case with so many minimins this site has been a lifeline to me in the past.
I am a post by-passer and just wanted to say to all you guys who may be struggling - either with pre-op diets, mentally, post-op or anything else along this very hard (but sooo rewarding journey) "STICK WITH IT !!!!!!!"
I am now eight months post-op and weigh 9 1/2 stone (a weight i thought i would never see).

I lost seven stone in 6 months (16 1/2 stone start weight) and have stabilised over the last two months - this has been at times one of the toughest fights of my life but so so so worth it - my hubby and kids feel like they are living with a new person !!!!!!!!

I almost feel like the wonderful Prof Mcmahon at Nuffield Leeds is my new "father" as i feel totally reborn - cheesy i know - but true.

If anybody has any questions please feel free to fire away i totally understand how the "silliest" of things can become a major worry.

lots of love and keep up the good fight guys !!!!!!

Hi Caroline - so glad you posted that. i am seven weeks post and the weight loss is great - 31 pounds (inc pre op diet) i too feel much more at home in my new shape and cant wait for it to keep changing. i have struggled a bit with regurgitating, over eating vs under eating etc and can honestly say this board has been my lifeline.
you are an inspiration to us all as are many others here so thanks again!

Hey Vics - well done on the weight loss so far - every pound inspires you to the next and soon it becomes every stone !!!

I remember the shattered feeling all too well, after all your body has been through surgery and your fuel in take is now less than before - listen to your body and do as it tells you - if ever you needed an excuse to put your feet up at times this is it so sit back, relax and enjoy.

Before you know it you'll have MORE energy than ever before !!!!

Have you started to re-introduce any sloppy foods yet?

Take care x x x

aww thanks Jan - thats really kind of you. Now you're on the losing side its gonna be your turn to inspire folk !!!!

One of the best pieces of advise i was given post op with regards to eating was "chew" - chew, chew, chew !!!!

I have been fortunate enough never to have been sick since my op. I have however had the "elephant sitting on my chest" feeling - when i have swallowed something too quick and boy does that hurt - i have now learnt to take my time eating. Which works out perfect especially in company - I may eat less than them but they generally still finish before me !!!!

Congratulations on yout weight loss and hard work getting there.

Caroline, hope you don't mind me asking; but did you go private or was it nhs? also why did you have bypass rather than band? I ask this because I have changed my own mind from what I thought I first wanted to what I feel I want now.
How long was you in hospital for? and how long did the procedure take?
Did you have any problems after surgery, even small blips like vomiting? if so when did it subside?
Hope you don't mind all the questions, I am a recent newbie and hungry for advice and infomation, which I am getting lots of here and already feel at home:).
I have been refered by my gp and have my first appt 11th :bliss:June which is a the groups session it is the first step up the ladder and it can't come quick enough:D.
Thanks again.
Hugs x

hi diana - i don't mind the questions at all feel free !!!

I had my op done on the NHS, first went to see about funding in the May and it was approved by the July - so pretty quick !!!!

My initial feelings were i wanted the band - however the more research i did and read minimins experiences the more i felt suited to the bypass (personally the constant worry of finding the correct capacity with fills and adjustments would have been too much for me - however i totally understand why many people choose the band) the bypass is a bigger procedure but i felt it was worth it - in for a penny in for a pound !!!! Your surgeon will advise you if he things one or the other is better suited for you.

I was admitted to nuffield Leeds on the day before my op, just to check everything is ok, they give you a bowel prep and the prof and his anaesthitist paid me a visit in my private room - they really set my mind at ease.

Next day was my op, I was under the general for exactly six hours (there was a clock on the wall in front of me as i went under / came round). I couldn't believe how bad i DIDNT feel - yes i was groggy but not really in that much pain.

I came home on the Saturday and by about mon/tues physically felt fine - back to sleeping on my side and front.

Post op I have been very fortunate not to have had any problems - not even been sick once - the only food i found difficult to tolerate until recently was bread - no bad thing there though!!

One of the major improvement for me as well as the obvious is my sleep apnoea has now officially disappeared. I was diagnosed pre-op as having very severe apnoea (i was stopping breathing every single minute i was asleep) last week i had a repeat sleep study done and guess what - not one episode of not breathing !!!!!!!

I really wish you all the luck in the world with your journey and PLEASE fell free to ask me ANYTHING!!!

It is such a life changing thing to do but one that i have never heard of ANYONE regretting!!!!

Hi Caroline, lovely to see you posting again :) You've done so well! Fantastic results :clap:

I just wanted to say well done you x
I am a pre-bander and cant wait to be on the new side x

just wanted to say thankyou for the lovely warm welcome (back) i have received. Thanks guys - brings it all back to me what an absolute fab site this is.

And shel .....

whooaaa - way to go - congrats on the good news. will keep everything crossed for ya but am sure everything will be fine.

Who would have thought when you, me and nic started on our journey it would end up so successful for all of us ?!?!

Hey Vics - well done on the weight loss so far - every pound inspires you to the next and soon it becomes every stone !!!

I remember the shattered feeling all too well, after all your body has been through surgery and your fuel in take is now less than before - listen to your body and do as it tells you - if ever you needed an excuse to put your feet up at times this is it so sit back, relax and enjoy.

Before you know it you'll have MORE energy than ever before !!!!

Have you started to re-introduce any sloppy foods yet?

Take care x x x
Hi yeah i can't believe how well i actually feel albeit tired you hear some horror stories.
Yes i have started having peanut butter on toast first time this morning, it was ok only managed half a slice of small loaf bread though. Tried macaroni cheese last night that was ok only four mouthfulls and full, still trying to get my head round how full i feel on such a small amount. Started my vitamins this morning so thats gonna make a huge difference. Not had dumping syndrome at just as you say elephant on the chest full feeling and the pain in between shoulder blades if i gulp a drink down. xx

Hi Caroline,
Thank you so much for answering my questions I am very gratefull.
Caroline you told me when you came home from hospital but when did you go in? just want to know how many days you were in for, I did re-read your post to but i could not see where it said when you went in, maybe I missed it if I did sorry:eek:.
Im so glad that you have had a smooth ride since your op that makes me feel even better about surgery (usually when I have surgery something goes wrong:rolleyes:)
I thought I wanted a band at first but the more I have read I have now changed my mind. I have changed my mind because I have an implant already (I have a morphine pump implant) and also have to have fills every 3 weeks so I don't really want something else implanted nor more fills not by choice anyway..

I hope that my appointments to have surgery move as quickly as yours and many others here have done.
What was your appointment like with the consultant for the first time? what were you asked and what sort of questions did you ask?
Thank you again for all the info.
Hugs xx

Hi Caroline

Wow. Well done on your amazing weight loss hun. What an inspiration. Keep posting hun. Its great to have succesful bypassers here to tell all the pre oppers like me what to expect xx

Back