• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dissappointed in the system.

lisa x

is very happy!
Hi ..
Bear with me as i am new to the site and still trying to find my feet.:confused:
I went to my G.P this morning,and demanded she put me forward for weight loss surgery.
I am so disappointed in the way the system is set up.
I have to quit smoking for 6 weeks and she has to put me on oristat for 3 months!!!!!!!!!! just so she can prove I am making an effort.:eek:
3 months before they will even fill in a form..:cry:
I know I hit criteria.
If i went private I would be in and out within a month or so...and possible a few stone lighter within 3 months.:sigh:
The g.p was just banging on about it being major surgery and ..I will quote"best to do things naturally"
i am desperate...would I ask for such a drastic measure if I could do it naturally.
Yes i lost 4 stone on oristat 7 years ago but its all come back.
I think wls isn't my miracle but my last ditch at making major changes in my lifestyle.
I am so frustrated.and yes i may sound a bit impatient but I have my reasons.
I would like another baby before I hit the big 40.(even possibly get the confidence to get married to my partner of 20 years.something I will never do being this size..I am sure you guys can understand that)
I wish i had the cash to go private.I wish the nhs wasnt such a battle ground.
Sorry about the rant but it had to come out somewhere..lol
LISA X

Hi lisa,
i am sorry to hear your having a not very understand Gp, i am afraid alot of people on this site have a similar story to yourself regarding stop smokiing, and dieting again to prove themselves.
I would just like to wish you luck with your journey and you will find this site nothing but helpful and friendly, and use this 3 months to get as much info as you can together and read other peoples diaries x

I do get a bit surprised sometimes at peoples attitudes that they can just demand to be put forward for wls etc. :confused: I honestly dont think you have any right to complain about having to give up cigarettes and go on orlistat for 3 months to prove you are dedicated to wls, why should you be given it at the drop of a hat when the NHS is cash strapped as it is, people are being denied cancer saving treatment etc so a bit of patience wouldn't be too much to ask!!

I'm not saying you shouldn't be entitled to free wls on the NHS but demanding it is just going a bit too far. They have every right to ask you to try and prove that you are dedicated to wls before they give it to everyone who asks for it. A gastric bypass is over £10,000 so its only common sense they require you to do a bit of ground work before they give the go ahead!

The right approach would have been to see your doctor, explain to him/her that you have tried every diet known to mankind and while they may work for a while the weight just goes back on plus some more and would they kindly refer you for weight loss surgery as you think it would be the only thing to work for you and that you dont mind doing whatever is necessary to qualify for it!....would that not have been a better approach than 'demanding it'

I do hope you get your wls as you obviously need it but I do think you are going about it the wrong way!

Jaffa

Hi ..
Bear with me as i am new to the site and still trying to find my feet.:confused:
I went to my G.P this morning,and demanded she put me forward for weight loss surgery.
I am so disappointed in the way the system is set up.
I have to quit smoking for 6 weeks and she has to put me on oristat for 3 months!!!!!!!!!! just so she can prove I am making an effort.:eek:
3 months before they will even fill in a form..:cry:
I know I hit criteria.
If i went private I would be in and out within a month or so...and possible a few stone lighter within 3 months.:sigh:
The g.p was just banging on about it being major surgery and ..I will quote"best to do things naturally"
i am desperate...would I ask for such a drastic measure if I could do it naturally.
Yes i lost 4 stone on oristat 7 years ago but its all come back.
I think wls isn't my miracle but my last ditch at making major changes in my lifestyle.
I am so frustrated.and yes i may sound a bit impatient but I have my reasons.
I would like another baby before I hit the big 40.(even possibly get the confidence to get married to my partner of 20 years.something I will never do being this size..I am sure you guys can understand that)
I wish i had the cash to go private.I wish the nhs wasnt such a battle ground.
Sorry about the rant but it had to come out somewhere..lol
LISA X

Hello Lisa

When entering into the weight loss area it isnt a quick fix process.

everyone on here has to go through the same process as you have described with regarding going on weight loss tabs (gp prescribed) and then attending a weight loss management clinic, (some areas require 1 yr minimum) and various tests and appointments,funding thats even before the actual weight loss surgery etc.

I dont mean to dishearten you but the actual process (via nhs) from start to finish (for op only) is about a year and half, and the fact that u have stated that you want another baby also :D once you have completed all the requirements and had the op you are not meant to start for a family for at least 1-2 years anyway , and also stating that you want wls for a baby will not get you put forward.

For the ppl on this site wls was a last resort, really the end of the line for trying to get healthy, lose access weight and to live longer healthier life, not for wanting to starting a family (even though that does come later for some :D) I am sorry I cannot be more positive but that is the reality of the situation, and I do wish you all the very best in what ever route you take.

All the best - MeJulie x x

Hi Lisa
It is a very difficult emotional and lengthy process to get wls on the nhs, there are a lot of different criteria to meet and timescales and criteria depend on your local PCT. I myself did not meet the criteria for my surgery and did go privately and to a degree i'm lucky that i didn't have to wait. That said i would happily have saved that money if i could have gone through the nhs process. Jaffa has given good advice on the route and attitude to take with your gp. There are a lot of people on here who can share your frustration and will give you good advice and support. Wishing you the best of luck with your journey xx

PS i too had to give up smoking and was a 30 a day smoker but gave up as i knew a) i risked my life even more during surgery and b) i may not get my surgery if i didn' i stopped within 2 weeks and 10 months on have never gone back to it x

Hi Lisa

Once I decided that weight loss surgery was my only life line I wanted to do it now too, but its such an emotional roller coaster I actually think the time inbetween going to my GP and the op made me mentally ready for what was coming.

My health was starting to suffer and co morbidities were starting to edge their way into my life. I think I was on the brink of sleep apnea as my snoring had become terrible and often when I lay down I was struggling to breath. Also I couldn't stand for very long as the pressure on my lower back was just too painful. Thats when I started to take a long look at my options. It is a long slow process but well worth it.

Dont let it put you off tho hun, if you have decided that this surgery will be your last hope then stick in there and get your mind into a positive place. Maybe start trying to lose weight while you wait for the referal. Show the doctors you mean business. Stay positive and think this is the first step you have taken, soon your 3 months on the weighloss meds will be over and you will be on the road to referal.

I hope it all works out well for you and your op comes along soon x x Chin up :D

I didnt even have the option of getting it on the nhs as there was no funding for such ops in my area, but i would have gladly waited and saved the 10k it cost me.

Im going to be honest and say i think its the right thing to do making people wait and jump through a few hoops as wls is such a huge life change that the nhs cant just afford to give it to everyone straight of the bat as it is expensive, and some people need time to really think things through.

As for the asking you to quit smoking.. jeezo, how can you be upset at that?! they are asking as smoking is detromental to your health, and poses bigger risk when being put under general anathetic. I quite smoking 2 years ago and it was the second best thing i have ever done (the wls being the first), would you really rather be put at risk by not quitting?!

I understand its frustraiting once you have made up your mind, but i think stopping and taking a second to think how lucky you are that we live somewhere that getting this op free is even an option, granted you have to meet a few criteria, but surly its worth it.

Try to look on the posative, you have a Dr willing to help you, you live somewhere that has funding, you will be giving up smoking, something that will reduce your life, 6 months is a drop in the ocean compared to your life time. Try nt to get too disheartend, many people are in the same position you are.

.x.

There's not much I can add to what everyone has already said apart from that I am in full agreement with their advice. I'd just like to wish you well on your journey and hope you'll stick around and have a look at some of the lovely supportive and friendly advice this forum has to offer x

I do get a bit surprised sometimes at peoples attitudes that they can just demand to be put forward for wls etc. :confused: I honestly dont think you have any right to complain about having to give up cigarettes and go on orlistat for 3 months to prove you are dedicated to wls, why should you be given it at the drop of a hat when the NHS is cash strapped as it is, people are being denied cancer saving treatment etc so a bit of patience wouldn't be too much to ask!!

I'm not saying you shouldn't be entitled to free wls on the NHS but demanding it is just going a bit too far. They have every right to ask you to try and prove that you are dedicated to wls before they give it to everyone who asks for it. A gastric bypass is over £10,000 so its only common sense they require you to do a bit of ground work before they give the go ahead!

The right approach would have been to see your doctor, explain to him/her that you have tried every diet known to mankind and while they may work for a while the weight just goes back on plus some more and would they kindly refer you for weight loss surgery as you think it would be the only thing to work for you and that you dont mind doing whatever is necessary to qualify for it!....would that not have been a better approach than 'demanding it'

I do hope you get your wls as you obviously need it but I do think you are going about it the wrong way!

Jaffa

hi ..
ok..I see how this looks to you and hands up about the smoking(its bad and yes I am committed to stopping):eek:..
but you please don't misjudge me here.:cry: when you do not know my full story. (or medical history!!)
I don't expect things at a drop off a hat..far from it.:sigh:

I wrote on this forum because I am frustrated by the system in place.especially my gp(I have done all that they(dr) has asked.):confused:
i have been on orisat 4 times over the last 7 years. i have asked for help in every way shape and form.from psychiatry to weekly weigh in and dietitians. gym.
i have done everything that has been asked of me.but they wont apply to the pct for me...even though I hit criteria.I have been asking for 4 years now:cry:
I feel the oristat is just my drs way of trying to prolong it further.again the story is toooo long.
When I say demand you have to realise i have been laughed out of the doctors office more times than I care to remember when I have requested help in this way(wls). :(
So maybe demand is a strong word but asking does not seem to get me anywhere.
I hope this clears up a any misunderstandings here.:)
lisa x

Hi Lisa

Sorry to read that you are feeling so low about the process.
To be honest, I used the year it took, from referral to op, to work on lifestyle tweaks that helped me survive the surgery safely and healthily and to cope with the psychological impact of such a drastic change to my eating that has come with being post op.

The smoking cessation has to be a no-brainer. There are so many risks of dying from this surgery without adding to it by causing potential complications with the anaesthetic.

When you spend time talking to people here and in support groups, it becomes really clear why surgeons ask for their patients to show commitment in the form of some weight loss before considering them for surgery. Unfortunately, the surgery isn't a magic wand, it's just a tool that will help us make the right lifestyle choices. We need to work hard with it.

I hope you do take the time to find your way around this site and read the wealth of good advice, experience and anity that we all findhere.

Good luck!

Hello Lisa

When entering into the weight loss area it isnt a quick fix process.

everyone on here has to go through the same process as you have described with regarding going on weight loss tabs (gp prescribed) and then attending a weight loss management clinic, (some areas require 1 yr minimum) and various tests and appointments,funding thats even before the actual weight loss surgery etc.

I dont mean to dishearten you but the actual process (via nhs) from start to finish (for op only) is about a year and half, and the fact that u have stated that you want another baby also :D once you have completed all the requirements and had the op you are not meant to start for a family for at least 1-2 years anyway , and also stating that you want wls for a baby will not get you put forward.

For the ppl on this site wls was a last resort, really the end of the line for trying to get healthy, lose access weight and to live longer healthier life, not for wanting to starting a family (even though that does come later for some :D) I am sorry I cannot be more positive but that is the reality of the situation, and I do wish you all the very best in what ever route you take.

All the best - MeJulie x x
hi mejulie
I just wanted to thank you for your post.
I know having wls and my health comes first. i have diabetes, back/leg problems and pcos and that's my main reason for wanting this surgery.i haven't asked for wls for us to have a baby.
sorry if my post was misleading...x

Have you thought about switching to another GP?

I know that if I had mentioned it to my "actual" GP I possibly would have got a similar response.

The day I mentioned it was seeing another doctor in the practice about something unrelated.

Some doctors are reluctant to refer because they themselves do not believe it's right for someone. But to be honest it is not there place to place personal opinions on a medical case.

If you fit your PCT's criteria, a doctor should refer you. It is the PCTs decision weather funding is granted. BUT, and it's still a but, if a surgeon or any other part of the Multi Disciplinary Teams that you see after funding is in place decides it's not the right route it can still not happen.

My operation was on the tipping balance as I had deep emotional and mental health issues but the 3 out of 4 of the team said by moving forward it may help more than if I din't have the operation. But it was a hair raising few days waiting on one decision.

You have plenty of documented evidence of weight loss attempts via your medical practice, just see another Doctor and see if they are more willing to help.

But my advice, don't get pushy, do what is asked of you and be patient.

Also it is normally advised to wait 18 months after a bypass to have a baby, things have settled better by then, as if you had a baby before there is a risk of complications (not always the case as Shelbel on here will say) but none the less a risk.

And remember there is no guarantee in this world that says a woman will be able to conceive and give birth. I have PCOS and other fertility issues which can't be changed even with weight loss.

But if you are in the best and optimum health, however you get there, you stand more of a chance.

Good luck on your journey...sometimes the road is long but we get there in the end :)

Hi Lisa,

Sorry to hear your GP appointment did not go expected. I can totally understand why your Dr wants you to quit smoking and try orlistat first, and can also understand your frustration at not getting the referral you wanted.

Where do you live? What PCT do you come under? Do you know what the local referral criteria/process is.

If you fit the criteria for referral, how about writing a letter to your GP thanking her for her advice, and saying how committed you are to giving up smoking and losing the weight. Ask her if there is any way she can make the referral now and you can take the orlistat while you are waiting to see the bariatric team, as all the time the clock is ticking and that you want to try to have a family while you are young enough.

Good luck with your journey x

Lisa
please dont be upset by anyones replies i am sure as myself we are just letting you know many of us have been through this hun, and some struggle for years to get funding etc........i think its jan who has also waited the same kind of length a time
as you and i know sharon has waited a while.

We all wish you well hun, try writing to your Gp as sam said and if no luck change doctors or find out who you complain too xxx

i really do wish you well on your journey hun good luck xxx

We all wish you well, and i think everyone here knows how awkward drs can be.

I would question your Dr about why you have to try the same medication again, given that you have in the past and it has not helped.
Failing that try asking a different GP.

We are all here to help, don't be downheartened.

.x.

Hiya, yes I have waited four years, was put forward for funding twice but turned down, I had to wait a year from the last refusal before seeing the endocrinologist again, which meant I saw him in September last year. I finally got my funding in January this year, had the triple appointment in March, my pre op was in April, and my surgery is going to be 12 July.
It has been pretty bad for me going through all this wait, as I really wanted to get it done before I was 50, and the last four years have meant that my health/mobility has decreased.
However, I am just hoping that I will get through the surgery successfully and will be able to lead a happier healthier life for how ever many years I have left ;)
I will say again how fantastic this site is, and every single lovely person are so happy to help and advise
Thank you all from the heart of my bottom lol xxxxx :D:):D

We all wish you well, and i think everyone here knows how awkward drs can be.

I would question your Dr about why you have to try the same medication again, given that you have in the past and it has not helped.
Failing that try asking a different GP.

We are all here to help, don't be downheartened.

.x.
hi....i was told today that the pct want proof i have taken it(oristat) in the last 18 months..my last attempt(with 0 weight loss) finished 4 weeks short of the time scale.hence why i have to do it again:sigh:.
i have tried different drs within the surgery.but i am seriously thinking of changing practices.
xx

Last edited:
When i read your first post i was a bit shocked at the demanding of the referral for wls, but when you explained about being laughed out of the room by your gp i understood your firm stance completely....

If i was you i would find out what your pct criteria is for wls, with some it is that you have tried conventional diet & exercise (which you have) and medication (which you have)... If this is the case i would print the information off the pc and take this with you to your gp. Explain that you have done all that they ask on numerous occasions.. but that you are willing to go on the Orlistat again, also sign up to a local stop smoking cessation clinic. Ask your gp if they can start the referral process moving and in the meantime you are on the meds and also stopping the smoking.....

I wish you well and hope to hear good news from you in the near future.... Please keep us posted :) x

We definately all wish you well Lisa and if you are not getting satisfaction from your current practice then i would look to changing, As you will hear on here we have various people who have had varying degrees of support from their gp's some like me very lucky others like yourself have come up against what seems like a brick wall. Have a look at another practice and see what happens. Good luck again xx

hi..
glad to hear you are getting your surgery Jan..I wish you all the best...
Like you my health is decreasing on a daily basis..in 2 years time i fear what my state of health will be...time will tell i guess.

Back