• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dissappointed in the system.

MMmmm this is probably gonig to be contraversial.
I do beleive Lisa was being lynched at the beginning of the thread. In fact a few times I have thought the comments being made were harsh.
Written replies are very difficult to work out because they are missing the tone of peoples voices.
I think this is a lesson to us all to think carefully about our responses especially when they are negative in case people are upset by them. The reason people visit this site is for support and some of the comments made have not been supportive or constructive.
Shells
x
I really don't want to dwell on this to much...:confused:
I came back from the doctor that morning and was not to happy..I just wanted to rant..:sigh:
I realise why it got the response it did..
and i did try to set the record straight and apologise if I upset or annoyed anyone.
your right you cant hear the tone or manner of what's being said,and without the full information it does sound like I am being a impatient.
this is a very good site,the information is very valuable..I only wish I had found it sooner.
I have had some wonderful, positive and informative responses for which i am truly grateful. :D
bless you shells x x

Champix has to be used in caution and is contraindicated with depression.
It has some severe side effects.
Shells

i will ask about it....i really don't do well with patches....i am hoping to go cold turkey!!!:eek:had 3 today so far.
thanks for the info xx

Lisa
I too came off my meds for diabetes.
You are right... your health is costing the NHS a fortune and I am sure in the long run you will save them a fortune, in fact I am sure there is research there which says that too.

I had to wait to get diabetes until I could have the op!! To me it would make sense on getting there before the diabetes sets in.
GO FOR IT X WE ARE HERE TO HELP X
Shells
x
wow ..i am so pleased for you(coming off meds)..but sad you had to wait to get it before you were helped...its madness.
i am so pleased to hear this...it really does make me more confident in wanting wls.
i have been diabetic since i was 18...
I would say half my weight gain is through the insulin intake/more weight spiral.frustrating!!!

i just hope and pray things this could happen to me.
thanks shells x x x

I do beleive Lisa was being lynched at the beginning of the thread. In fact a few times I have thought the comments being made were harsh.

I think you're right, Lisa was being lynched a little bit but we are dealing with a subject that people are going to be very passionate about. The obese think we deserve the surgery, the thin think we should just put the McDonalds down and waddle off to the gym instead.

The fact of the matter is that there are an awful lot of General Practitioners there that are trying to enforce their own lifestyle choices on their patients, regardless of the consequences. Chest infection? It's because you're fat. Piano fell on your head? It's because you're fat. Dog bit you? It's because you're fat. A butterfly flaps it's wings in China and a drunk and high boy-racer crashes in the side of your car whilst it's parked outside your house? It's because your fat.

These G.P.s need to stop preaching to us and act in the best interests of our health, not theirs. It shouldn't be "easy" to get WLS, but it should be there for those that have tried everything else they can and just can't get down to a normal BMI. The media has raised awareness of fat issues, but they've also not helped. A lot of people - G.P.s included - think that WLS is an "easy option" but anyone that's already gone through it will tell you it's far from it. The myth is that you go under the knife, the weight just falls off afterwards then a Prince rides in on a white horse and you live happilly ever after.

If Lisa's tried losing the weight, has tried the drugs, has tried the dietician then she needs to be referred and if that means pissing off her G.P. then so be it. Don't deny her the surgery that we're all wanting to have or have already had just because she's vented her frustrations.

Regards, Ade.

If Lisa's tried losing the weight, has tried the drugs, has tried the dietician then she needs to be referred and if that means pissing off her G.P. then so be it. Don't deny her the surgery that we're all wanting to have or have already had just because she's vented her frustrations.

Regards, Ade.

thanks ade...

after 4 years of asking.. it is getting frustrating.:mad:

Jacqui
You are right! there is a whole list of side effects to most drugs. However, Champix is actually contraindicated in people with depression and should not be prescribed for those with a history of depression. I have seen two people dear to me whose depression worsened to the point of contemplating suicide. Champix was removed and their mood lifted however, they should never have been prescribed it in the first place.
Shells
x

I'm ashamed to admit that my referral from my GP was relatively easy and quick. I went in there and cited the financial reasons (i'm diabetic, high cholestrol) of how much it is costing the NHS to give me a prescription exemption, eye tests, diabetic nurse checkup etc. I also said the problem wasn't losing weight but keeping it off (something that the bariatric team also said) most of us have lost weight at some point and put it back on. It is just as dangerous to yo yo diet and puts a huge strain on your body. There has been a study done to say that WLS puts diabetes in remission in 80% of the cases. I had also been prescribed Orlistat but it gave me terrible diarrhoea. I explained that I was terrified of getting high blood pressure and risk of stroke/heart attack and they referred me straight away and it took about 6 months all in all. I have now been off all meds since my surgery and have saved the NHS a fortune, not to mention their time. Your doctor has a duty of care to you and if you meet the criteria then they should refer you. I am so shocked at the Belsen comment......

I'm ashamed to admit that my referral from my GP was relatively easy and quick. I went in there and cited the financial reasons (i'm diabetic, high cholestrol) of how much it is costing the NHS to give me a prescription exemption, eye tests, diabetic nurse checkup etc. I also said the problem wasn't losing weight but keeping it off (something that the bariatric team also said) most of us have lost weight at some point and put it back on. It is just as dangerous to yo yo diet and puts a huge strain on your body. There has been a study done to say that WLS puts diabetes in remission in 80% of the cases. I had also been prescribed Orlistat but it gave me terrible diarrhoea. I explained that I was terrified of getting high blood pressure and risk of stroke/heart attack and they referred me straight away and it took about 6 months all in all. I have now been off all meds since my surgery and have saved the NHS a fortune, not to mention their time. Your doctor has a duty of care to you and if you meet the criteria then they should refer you. I am so shocked at the Belsen comment......

hi stella.
i am glad you had an easy time getting refered..
your right its easy to lose weight but keeping off is another thing.add insulin into the mix and it hets harder.

i am following some advice on here and I have decided not to take the orisat..(or wait until i have seen the bariatric team)
my bmi is now 50:eek: and although my body is suffering with and extra stone :cry:i have put on this year i need it there to hit criteria.
i will go back to gp in months time as agreed (for weigh in) and ask for referral again.
x x

I had also been prescribed Orlistat but it gave me terrible diarrhoea

I hate to point it out, but that is the actual point of that medication! Our American friends refer to that particular effect as "fecal incontinence" in order to glamorise the steatorrhea (oily, loose stools) effect.

Give me a diet to stick to and I'll demonstrate that I can lose the weight. Take me off that diet and within a few months I'll be back to the same weight if not heavier. My problem is not and never has been an inability to lose weight, it's a problem with keeping it off even with sensible eating.

Regards, Ade.

I hate to point it out, but that is the actual point of that medication! Our American friends refer to that particular effect as "fecal incontinence" in order to glamorise the steatorrhea (oily, loose stools) effect.

Give me a diet to stick to and I'll demonstrate that I can lose the weight. Take me off that diet and within a few months I'll be back to the same weight if not heavier. My problem is not and never has been an inability to lose weight, it's a problem with keeping it off even with sensible eating.

Regards, Ade.

My doctor neglected to point out that If I took this medication then I wouldn't be able to work (I work full time in a very busy office) as you are on the toilet constantly, leave a nasty smell after using the toilet (not good when your colleagues have to use the same toilet) and ruins all of your knickers as it leaves an oily residue. Any medication that effectively leaves you housebound for fear of soiling yourself is not a remedy for getting healthy and losing weight in my book. Also, my problem isn't with fatty food (having high cholestrol I avoid it) mine is for carb rich food so prescribing Orlistat was totally inappropriate in my case.

Do doctors ever listen when you explain your problems with food???

My doctor neglected to point out that If I took this medication then I wouldn't be able to work (I work full time in a very busy office) as you are on the toilet constantly, leave a nasty smell after using the toilet (not good when your colleagues have to use the same toilet) and ruins all of your knickers as it leaves an oily residue. Any medication that effectively leaves you housebound for fear of soiling yourself is not a remedy for getting healthy and losing weight in my book. Also, my problem isn't with fatty food (having high cholestrol I avoid it) mine is for carb rich food so prescribing Orlistat was totally inappropriate in my case.

Do doctors ever listen when you explain your problems with food???

Orlistat only gives you oily poo if you eat the wrong food!, if you eat properly you'll be fine, its a side effect of having too much fat in your diet!

Orlistat only gives you oily poo if you eat the wrong food!, if you eat properly you'll be fine, its a side effect of having too much fat in your diet!

I agree with the above as I was informed this by my gp too as well, the idea of these tabs ( I was told) is too eat as little fat as possible too have as little leakage as possible. When I took em , I had to come off because of high blood pressure problems and irregular heart beating.

These tabs do work but you can't be on them for prolonged periods ( my friend was on em for 2 years and still went onto having wls, coz as soon as the doctor said she couldnt have them no more after a 2 year period she gained all the weight back on , 2 stone I think it was:rolleyes:)

I wish you all the best anyway - MeJulie x x

i first took them back in 2002,and I did lose 5 stone over an 18 month period.
then i had my son and the weight all came back with vengeance and more.
I have been given them 3 times since (plus this time)and they haven't worked.(i lost absolutly nothing). which i think it was because i had changed my diet (from the first time)and didn't consume fat or rubbish.
(the diabetes had really been out of control during my pregnancy and so I pulled my socks up so to speak)

my problem is carbs too..i spend my life obsessing about them(how much to have) and have a weakness for them(breads pasta rice).
anyhow i am rambling a bit focus..lol
...my point to the medication is this...and it took me while to figure this out.
if your intestines are blocking 30% of the fat absorption(be it fat or carb intake) its obvious the weight will go back on when you come off it....30% of carbs a day is not alot to cut out but it doesn't take much to put it all back on again..i am hoping this makes sense...
i do feel the drug can work and teach you the right way of eating...(short term)
but i think its setting overweight people up for a fall in the long run...
lisa x

My diet wasn't high in fat as I had my gallbladder removed and so I am quite ill if I eat fat (I don't produce the enzymes to break fat down). I also had high cholestrol so I avoided fat. I am diabetic and maybe my body metabolised the drug in a different way but I know that it gave me constant diaorrhea even just eating fish, carbs, veg and fruit. My doctor thought it maybe was the combination of Orlistat and Metformin that was the problem. What I don't understand is if Orlistat is a fat metaboliser and you don't eat fat what is the point in taking them and how do they make you lose weight (as any normal diet will make you lose weight if you cut out fat)? Anyway, the point I was making is that they didn't work for me and caused me to have severe side effects and are only a short term fix as most of the weight goes back on when you stop taking them.

i first took them back in 2002,and I did lose 5 stone over an 18 month period.
then i had my son and the weight all came back with vengeance and more.
I have been given them 3 times since (plus this time)and they haven't worked.(i lost absolutly nothing). which i think it was because i had changed my diet (from the first time)and didn't consume fat or rubbish.
(the diabetes had really been out of control during my pregnancy and so I pulled my socks up so to speak)

my problem is carbs too..i spend my life obsessing about them(how much to have) and have a weakness for them(breads pasta rice).
anyhow i am rambling a bit focus..lol
...my point to the medication is this...and it took me while to figure this out.
if your intestines are blocking 30% of the fat absorption(be it fat or carb intake) its obvious the weight will go back on when you come off it....30% of carbs a day is not alot to cut out but it doesn't take much to put it all back on again..i am hoping this makes sense...
i do feel the drug can work and teach you the right way of eating...(short term)
but i think its setting overweight people up for a fall in the long run...
lisa x

Hiya Lisa,

If you have been given them tabs 3 times already via the doctors, surely they knows from records that these dont work for you long term and also if he knows you have gained the weight back why an earth he giving em too you again? Cant see the logic myself and I am sure the hospital will see that you have already tried them this amount of times as the doc can share your medical history with them .

Wish you all the best - MeJulie x x

Hiya Lisa,

If you have been given them tabs 3 times already via the doctors, surely they knows from records that these dont work for you long term and also if he knows you have gained the weight back why an earth he giving em too you again? Cant see the logic myself and I am sure the hospital will see that you have already tried them this amount of times as the doc can share your medical history with them .

Wish you all the best - MeJulie x x
hi me Julie.

When my gp was going through the form for pct with me in her office, the foot note said i had to have been taking "prescribed meds" with a 18 month period before application..(along with 6 weeks of quitting smoking which I am working on..only 2 today!!)
The last time I was on orisat was a month short of the time according to the records on screen.

my doctor is very against this surgery and believes i should do it "naturally"
my gp doesn't take this or me seriously, and I personally think it was her way of sabotaging(for want of a better word) my application to the pct....if I lost some weight then my bmi wouldn't hit criteria(which is what has happened before.)
I am not taking them..I don't see the point.she wanted me to take them for three months...but i will go back in one month and go from there.

I dont want my doctor or endocrinologist to put in an application to the pct if i havent done everything that is required....
My endocrinologist did offer to do the form for me but soon passed the buck saying it would be better coming from the g.p as they have more detailed information in my records..(buck passed..)
But he did promise he would support me.
So if i have no joy at the g.p I will speak with him personally as soon as the 6 weeks from smoking has occurred.
i will get the pct form filled in one day:sigh: ..!!!!i just have to wait a few more weeks.

hi me Julie.

When my gp was going through the form for pct with me in her office, the foot note said i had to have been taking "prescribed meds" with a 18 month period before application..(along with 6 weeks of quitting smoking which I am working on..only 2 today!!)

Well done for giving up the ciggies :D

The last time I was on orisat was a month short of the time according to the records on screen.

my doctor is very against this surgery and believes i should do it "naturally"
my gp doesn't take this or me seriously, and I personally think it was her way of sabotaging(for want of a better word) my application to the pct....if I lost some weight then my bmi wouldn't hit criteria(which is what has happened before.)
I am not taking them..I don't see the point.she wanted me to take them for three months...but i will go back in one month and go from there.

I dont want my doctor or endocrinologist to put in an application to the pct if i havent done everything that is required....
My endocrinologist did offer to do the form for me but soon passed the buck saying it would be better coming from the g.p as they have more detailed information in my records..(buck passed..)
But he did promise he would support me.
So if i have no joy at the g.p I will speak with him personally as soon as the 6 weeks from smoking has occurred.
i will get the pct form filled in one day:sigh: ..!!!!i just have to wait a few more weeks.

My endocrine department @ one hosp sent my application str8 off to the wls hospital, didnt go via the gp route. So I dont see how endocrine one is saying its better coming from gp etc, but having sed that I didnt go via doctors so I dont know how they operate regarding wls. Wish you all the success anyway xx

All the best - MeJulie x x

Hi Lisa,

I can really sympathise with your frustration and I know you don't want to hear this but your GP is totally right it would be better to get the weight of naturally but then if you aren't going to be able to then I do think that as someone else suggested you need to see another GP. Alternatively why not ask your GP to refer you to speak to a WLS consultant to get more information and find out more about the risks etc - once you have that referral the consultant should be able to progress it from there without going back to you GP.

My advice is to see someone else and then jump through all the hoops they set you - and there will be lots. It is incredibly frustrating and it will take far longer than you can imagine and you will be disappointed lots along the way but that is the NHS route. If you have a spare £10k then go and get it done but actually whilst I moaned and stressed at the time I dont think it did me any harm whatsoever in the long run to have to wait and by the time my turn came I was properly prepared for the op and what follows.

X

Hiya Lisa,

I have been on the orlistat almost 2years, in 06 i went to my gp try to find information about wls and she said no to me and gave me a referal note to go to the gym which i did, prescriped orlistat as well, i lost about mmmmm just a 1 or 2 stones and but it back on, i had enough, i have started working in 08 till the present day, i noticed its not getting any easer, i have a child of amlost 8 years old and am losing quiality time with my daughter i cant run or play with her due to my weight, i went to my gp in mmm around april this year i requested to see another gp, i talked to her and she said there is no surgery for losing weight, i exlained to her about this site, and could i please be referred to the bariatric surgery, she said she will meanwhile i must have my blood tested which i did and its all fine no dibitice, she called me and said the declined the referal, i made an appointment with her and requested the sleep aeponea thingy lol which am doing it this evening when i go to sleep and will take the machine tomorrow and will have the result as well, from the help from friends in here and thier advice am seeing it through and waite my time, its a long journy but with the lovely ppl in here time will pass very quick, i wish you all the bests of luck Lisa. plz do excuse my spelling.

Last edited:
Back