• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dissappointed in the system.

Hi Lisa

I understand you are frustrated, but I certainly would listen to advice on here. I am new to the site but my husband has been using it for a while now and has had some really good advice during his time on here. Also we have met many friends who share a common aim. Both my husband and myself are on the waiting list for WLS my husband Paul just got his op date yesterday for 17th September. I was 3 months behind him in the process.. but understand that the waiting list has gone up considerably so I now estimate that I am now 8 months behind Paul, if not more! At the end of the day I think that I am very lucky to be given a chance at living a healthier life style with the dramatic bypass operation, which I know is going to be hard enough when it comes.
I am also suffering with my weight, it has given me breathing problems, high cholesterol, hip and foot problems (enough to be so painful at times I can't walk).

I would go back to your GP ask to book a double appointment and explain calmly how you feel, ask to go back through your weight problems over the years from your records. Lots of GP's are against the WLS, even our GP doesn't agree to it, but realised we both knew this was and is the last resort as we are both getting problems with our bodies through our weight which we hope in time can be rectified in weight loss...So I wish you well, it is a very long road from the day you see you GP, then referred for surgery, seminars to attend, dieticans to see before you even see the surgeon! In Sunderland it is then another 26 weeks before the operation.
So you have to have the patience...starting with your GP, Good luck hun xx

thank you John....
I could cry at your post....(
it really confirms to me that this is definitely the way I have to go..
I wont deny i am scared and i know it wont be easy or a quick fix..(
but long term i know its for the best.
i am in a real bind as to what to do with the orisat (and possible weight loss) if i don't look like i have even tried eg lose 1/2 a stone, i don't look committed.

hearing your post is very inspiring.
do you mind me asking how did you cope on the liquid/low calorie diets with insulin..and the reduction in food to insulin reduction..
i am seriously considering going private(although i don't have the money I am prepared to go into more debt for it) me and my other half are picking each others brains trying to pull resources on an already over stretched/mortgaged to the max budget...

as for the doctors,I am giving them doing as I am told and waiting 3 months with the orisat.if they refuse to apply to pct again then i will change.
thank you John. x

Lisa,
Although you Dr appears to be a waste of space, don't rock the boat yet, just do as requested until your next move is sorted. You don't want to be seen as a troublemaker.

I did a self imposed pre pre-op diet for a couple of months and that eased my blood sugars down. I had to monitor the BS before and after every meal and be prepared to adjust the insulin downwards even without consulting the diabetes nurse, although they were always there at the end of a phone if I needed them. When on the actual pre-op diet the BS readings dropped even quicker and although I didn't suffer hypos I was dropping the insulin levels quite drastically. On coming out of hospital I was on 8 units a day, whereas a couple of months before I was on over 200 units.

Try and get your op on the NHS, the £10,000 is a big bill to pay. I know how desperate you can get though and everyone wants it NOW. Try and relax and go with the flow a bit longer, at least until you change your GP.

John xx

I wouldn't even wait the 3 months Lisa. These weight loss tablets can cause bad side effects, especially if you're on any other medication. I'm not allowed to take them as they can trigger mania in Bipolar but I was never even asked if I'd ever tried them. Are you taking any meds they might affect the absorption of?

If you can't find a sympathetic GP within the practice then I'd seriously consider changing practice now. I'd also like to apologise if I was abrupt in my earlier post to you, it was based on your initial post but obviously I've read more about the problems you've been facing now.

I really hope you can find a GP to support you :hug99: xx

i agree John...£10000 is a huge amount...i am not sure what road to take right now..
(i am also frightened to comment on this..i may get lynched again for abusing a cash strapped nhs!! even though the cost of my meds/care would cost more than a by pass over two years!!)
i know i sound impatient..but i really am not...
after all i started asking for this 4 years ago.(when i didn't hit criteria with bmi) it has taken massive weight gain through massive intakes of insulin to get me here.
I am hitting over 200 units a day and still have poor control.
the irony is, i was trying to get better control to have a baby....but now i am of a size that i couldn't possibly fall pregnant(other medical issues..)
more insulin...more weight....never ending cycle..
i am soo so pleased you have managed to come off your meds.
i only hope i can post this on here too one day.
thanks again john x
lisa

I wouldn't even wait the 3 months Lisa. These weight loss tablets can cause bad side effects, especially if you're on any other medication. I'm not allowed to take them as they can trigger mania in Bipolar but I was never even asked if I'd ever tried them. Are you taking any meds they might affect the absorption of?

If you can't find a sympathetic GP within the practice then I'd seriously consider changing practice now. I'd also like to apologise if I was abrupt in my earlier post to you, it was based on your initial post but obviously I've read more about the problems you've been facing now.

I really hope you can find a GP to support you :hug99: xx

thank you twiggy...i was feeling like i was being lynched at the start of this thread..:confused::(
i am sure i will sort things out in the end.:)
lisa x

Last edited:
Hi Lisa
Your Dr sounds like one I used to have, every problem I had was blamed on my weight (even a swollen hand due to my cat biting me).
He wouldn't give me orisat he said "They are a waste of time, you are suppose to stick to a low fat diet and if you stick to the diet there shouldn't be any fat to come out of you. so I can't see how they work unless you eat what you want and put up with the side effects"

His favourite answer to any request for weight loss surgery was "They never came out of Belsen (a concentration camp) fat. Here's a diet sheet stick to it and you will lose weight."
By the way he never took his own advise and he was very overweight himself.

My advise is to change practise's as soon as possible.
Good luck

I agree with Wendy I think you should seriously consider changing GP, he sounds worse than useless! Good luck x

Hi Lisa
Your Dr sounds like one I used to have, every problem I had was blamed on my weight (even a swollen hand due to my cat biting me).
He wouldn't give me orisat he said "They are a waste of time, you are suppose to stick to a low fat diet and if you stick to the diet there shouldn't be any fat to come out of you. so I can't see how they work unless you eat what you want and put up with the side effects"

His favourite answer to any request for weight loss surgery was "They never came out of Belsen (a concentration camp) fat. Here's a diet sheet stick to it and you will lose weight."
By the way he never took his own advise and he was very overweight himself.

My advise is to change practise's as soon as possible.
Good luck

thanks Wendy.
I did chuckle at that... my feet have swollen up today and cant figure out why...i dare not go and see them because i know what's coming about weight..lol
The doctors I had a meeting with this week were stick thin! how could they possibly understand.
I am going to change as soon as possible but i have to do as I am told for the next few weeks for the pct form.
I know the orisat doesn't work...I have to follow a strict diabetic diet...no fat..which results in no weight loss..
go figure huh\!!

thanks Wendy.
I did chuckle at that... my feet have swollen up today and cant figure out why...i dare not go and see them because i know what's coming about weight..lol
The doctors I had a meeting with this week were stick thin! how could they possibly understand.
I am going to change as soon as possible but i have to do as I am told for the next few weeks for the pct form.
I know the orisat doesn't work...I have to follow a strict diabetic diet...no fat..which results in no weight loss..
go figure huh\!!

God I hope the cat didn't bite your foot thinking your toes were nice little sausages LOL

Orisat doesn't work my dad has been on them for over 5 years and his weight just yo-yo's between 17 and 20 stone and he is the biggest critic about surgery :rolleyes:

Hi Lisa can I suggest you go back to the dr at the hospital and ask him to do the referal as your gp won't. Mine was sent in by the consultant at the hospital.

that you twiggy...i was feeling like i was being lynched at the start of this thread..:confused::(
i am sure i will sort things out in the end.:)
lisa x

You weren't being lynched at the start of the thread not by me anyway!!

You didn't explain yourself properly in the 1st post so what else I am suppose to read differently than 'demand to be put forward for wls' :confused:

Anyway, I hope you get it sorted!

Jaffa

MMmmm this is probably gonig to be contraversial.
I do beleive Lisa was being lynched at the beginning of the thread. In fact a few times I have thought the comments being made were harsh.
Written replies are very difficult to work out because they are missing the tone of peoples voices.
I think this is a lesson to us all to think carefully about our responses especially when they are negative in case people are upset by them. The reason people visit this site is for support and some of the comments made have not been supportive or constructive.
Shells
x

Lisa
I too came off my meds for diabetes.
You are right... your health is costing the NHS a fortune and I am sure in the long run you will save them a fortune, in fact I am sure there is research there which says that too.

I had to wait to get diabetes until I could have the op!! To me it would make sense on getting there before the diabetes sets in.
GO FOR IT X WE ARE HERE TO HELP X
Shells
x

Hi Shells, I know Champix has had some bad press, but I can only give my personal experience of it. I suffer from depression, have been on anti-depression meds for years. I was still given Champix and still did really well. I didnt have any bad effects, slight nausea at the beginning. Whatever the drug there are always horror stories about it, but my story was all positive and helped me give up smoking 80 fags a day after approx 30 years! :D x

MMmmm this is probably gonig to be contraversial.
I do beleive Lisa was being lynched at the beginning of the thread. In fact a few times I have thought the comments being made were harsh.
Written replies are very difficult to work out because they are missing the tone of peoples voices.
I think this is a lesson to us all to think carefully about our responses especially when they are negative in case people are upset by them. The reason people visit this site is for support and some of the comments made have not been supportive or constructive.
Shells
x
Ireally don't want to dwell on this to much...
I came back from the doctor that morning and was not to happy..I just wanted to rant..
I realise why it got the response it did..
and i did try to set the record straight and apologise if I upset or annoyed anyone.
your right you cant hear the tone or manner of what's being said,and without the full information it does sound like i am being a impatient.
this is a very good site,the information is very valuable..i only wish I had found it sooner.
i have had some wonderful, positive and informative responses for which i am truley greatful.
bless you shells x x

Back