• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Summer eating ideas for bypassers.

penelope1008

Now the days are meant to be getting warmer & I'm not going to be wanting chicken or bean soups for lunch etc. I thought I'd better start exploring ideas for my lunch boxes that meet our dietary needs without things getting stuck, or being to dry etc to eat easily but also without having to carry half the kitchen with us.
I struggle with sandwiches & I'm not keen on many dips etc. (but perhaps I need to revisit that opinion), & have a feeling salads may be a challenge lots of begs but not much protein. So thought I'd start this thread to see if we can come up with some tasty ideas to try ready for those long hot summer days we all dream of arrive.

Now the days are meant to be getting warmer & I'm not going to be wanting chicken or bean soups for lunch etc. I thought I'd better start exploring ideas for my lunch boxes that meet our dietary needs without things getting stuck, or being to dry etc to eat easily but also without having to carry half the kitchen with us.
I struggle with sandwiches & I'm not keen on many dips etc. (but perhaps I need to revisit that opinion), & have a feeling salads may be a challenge lots of begs but not much protein. So thought I'd start this thread to see if we can come up with some tasty ideas to try ready for those long hot summer days we all dream of arrive.

I've had a little salad the last 2 days just put tiny bit of mayonnaise with it just salad leaves and had a small snack pack of fridge raiders which i cut up 5 into:jelous: small pieces was lovely enjoyed it. xx

I like small portable lunches that I keep in my desk draw, car and bag so I never get stuck for food.
I don't eat bread and salad leaves are just a waste of effort as by the time I've chewed it enough to swallow it's very unpalatable.
I find it very hard to get enough fibre in but my lunch stash comprises of:
In my drawer/bag/car:Finn Crisp
Melba Toast
Crackerbread
Walkers French Fries
Velvet Crunch crisps
Tins of sardines in tomato sauce
Small tins of tuna in sauce such as Tomato and Bean, Tuna, Sweetcorn and mayo, Chilli etc (Sainsbury's own, weight watchers, Aldi and Lidl)
Heinz minimeals (little tins of beans with stuff in such as little sausages)

In the fridge at work:
Low fat cottage cheese or Tescos value brand ( if you can get it) which is fat free)
Seedless grapes
Cucumber
Mini babybel light
Laughing Cow Light or Weight Watcher cheese triangles
Goats cheeses mini portions
Fish sticks

The crisps are always part of my meal not as well as and I have them instead of the crispbreads.
I can't tolerate bread but don't miss it at all. If I'm going to town I just pop a pack of melba toast and a couple of babybel in my bag. Very portable and keeps me going.

At home I might add some turkey ham to my lunch but don't risk it at work still !!

Im taking cooked chicken drumsticks with salt and pepper on them. Sometimes chop up cucumber, lettuce, spring onion and kraft french dressing and put the drumstick on top. I find im eating the same old things so will be interesting to see what other peeps are eating

Kim

One thing that I really liked pre-op was a salad with flavoured meat like tikka chicken and some mayo. Perhaps instead of salad leaves you could manage things like skinless cucumber slices, pepper slices and/or cherry tomatoes?

Some days i just have yoghurt and fruit, or jelly with fruit in. Somedays i have a piece of quiche and take the pastry off. some days just have bit of chicken then fruit after it. Just depends what i have in house. XX

Iceldand Sainsburies do some great party foods all below the 5g rule... 3 packs for £5. chilli and lime kebabs on skewers etc... mini pizzas...all great for bbq's or eating in with salad or cous cous or whatever you like... all high in protein aswell x

Oo some great ideas there ladies I shall definately try out some of those. I think the only limits beyond the dietary requirements is our imagination& you've all helped get mine going instead of the age old rut of what can we eat & what do we want to eat when we have no appetite is tough. Food is a necessity for me to live but not always a pleasure so tough to think & plan for me or perhaps part of the excuse for some bad choices recently. Easier to blame other things than my own poor choices.

I love the following /

Pea, edamame & mint salad (Tesco) with cooked chicken and some crumbled feta.

Tuna mayo on crackerbread

3 bean salad with prawns

A 70s style prawn cocktail

Beans and edamame are full of protein. Make a good change from lettuce too!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

my mum finds it difficult to digest salads so I grate the carrots and use the vegtable peeler to do the cucumber and i suppose you could do beetroot it makes it very moist and much easier to digest I'm post op bypass i have'nt tried this myself yet as I am still on liquids.Also just found out that coe roe is very high in protein and easy to digest.

Get a jam jar (or bigger if you're eating more)

Layer:
Salad Dressing (if you want some either oil or water based or a yogurt based one)
Salad
Meats/Fish

Then when it's lunch time, shake up the salad jar, and either eat from the jar or pour into a bowl/plate.

Easy to transport salad.

--

Recently i've been eating smoked salmon or crab mixed with my fage sea food sauce

I'm so glad I can tolerate salad - it is so lovely and fresh! (I do peel the cucumber though) for the protein hit I'll include boiled egg or a Quorn product, I like;
Peppered beef slices
Ham slices
Mini scotch eggs or some marinated tofu

I also fall back on the 'slimming world quiche' as it is easy to transport and you can change the contents regularly so you don't get too bored (basic mix - a tub of cottage cheese and a couple of eggs beaten together then baked in the oven) I add mushrooms, peppers, sweetcorn or roasted root veg to mine. I don't eat meat or fish but you could put those in.

I'm so glad I can tolerate salad - it is so lovely and fresh! (I do peel the cucumber though) for the protein hit I'll include boiled egg or a Quorn product, I like;
Peppered beef slices
Ham slices
Mini scotch eggs or some marinated tofu

I also fall back on the 'slimming world quiche' as it is easy to transport and you can change the contents regularly so you don't get too bored (basic mix - a tub of cottage cheese and a couple of eggs beaten together then baked in the oven) I add mushrooms, peppers, sweetcorn or roasted root veg to mine. I don't eat meat or fish but you could put those in.

Would you get a copy of that put onhere please for that quiche we would like that, its how to make it i need to know xx ta xx:)

I was going to say slimming world quiche is really nice and i dont like cottage cheese but this is delicious and no pastry whatsoever

I remember when it had corned beef in it and was still "free"!

I make it quite regularly with caramalised onions, mixed peppers, mushrooms, mixed herbs and garlic now. Lovely!

Back