• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The beginnging of a lighter journey ?

Daniel

Hi all, Im Daniel from York, been Reading here for a long time but now I feel it's time to join in rather than lurk. Today I have finally recieved funding from my Pct after a year long battle for a rny bypass so awaiting a opp date nervously now.

Welcome Daniel and congratulations on receiving your funding you must be feeling so relieved now with your good news!

Hopefully it won't be too long now until you hear about your op date.

Love Mini xxx

Hi thanks Mini, I am happy but also nervous although I think there would be something wrong if I wasn't. I'm led to believe at York district hospital the waiting list is 20 to 26 weeks. So fingered crossed it won't be long.

Hi Gaynor nice to see some e down the road from me on here. Can I ask how your progressi g ? Are you waiting a surgery date now ?

Wow not long to go now Gaynor. You will have to let me know how you are getting on. Have you found any local suport groups in Yorkshire. ??

hi daniel, apparently there's one in sheffield every 2 months but to be honest i prefer the support on here much more. peeps on here are fab and make everyone feel so welcome plus they no what they are talking about lol having been or are waiting to go through the same paths so to speak xxGaynorxx

Hi Daniel, my name is Jenni. Congrats on your funding, was it a struggle getting it? I live in Wales who do 12 operations a year for the whole country so I have been forced to beg, borrow, scrimp etc in order to get a band privately (op on 22nd). I am very interested in the whole postcode lottery for WLS. Some people here have managed to get funding with a varying degree of struggle, and some seem to get knocked back all the time. If you don't mind me asking, what made you opt for by-pass over band?

Hope you now have a minimal wait for your op.

Hi Jenni, getting funding from my local pct was somewhat of a nightmare. After several consultations with my surgeon we were told we had funding and I was placed on the wait list of around 12 weeks then out of the blue 8 weeks later I recclieved a letter from the pct stating my funding had been withdrawn due to local financial constraints on the basis that I no longer fitted into the new criteria !! Several letters and constant phone calls later between my gp and the pct have finally resulted in a year later funding being approved. It is a stressful enough decision to make approaching this kind of surgery without the pct changing the goal posts for CEO political reasons. Therefore my heart goes out to you in your local funding situation. As for the choice of surgery my surgeon recomended the bypass as in his experience having a better outcome with more easilly achievable significant weight loss than banding, and who am I to question his experience !!!!!

Hi Daniel, well done for keeping at them - changing the criteria half way through is really low - in what way did they change it ? Was it raising BMI or something like that? In Wales WLS is considered a cosmetic surgery. I go to the only Weight Loss Management clinic in Wales and the consultant has never managed to get funding - not even for a lady with a BMI of 86. The psychologists, the Bariatric nurses and the dietician at this clinic have never worked with anyone who has had WLS ( the consultant has bcos he has a private practice also). Theyre all pretty enthusiastic about researching in order to support me after the op. which is nice but very sad for those people who cannot get the money together. I think it is really terrible, the hoops people have to jump through.

Hi Daniel welcome to mini's and congrats on getting youer funding after what was obviously a long struggle.

Hi Daniel. welcome to mini's and hope you get a date for your op soon x

Thanks to all of you, as unwittingly you have all provided great inspiration to me through your earlier postings, which helped me enormously with my problems attaining pct funding...... now i'm in that anxious state awating the date !!!! I think my consultant is going to call me to see him in a clinic appointment before I get an Opp date, purely because its been so long since we last saw each other. fingers crossed everything goes to plan this time ...

whilst im on here does anyone have any experience with taking statins?? my gp just prescribed them to me, and i wonder what kind of side effects to expect, and wether they will aid any weight loss or if i will have to come off them for the surgery???

Jenni i know it seems drastic but have you thought about PCT shopping??? aka 'moving' for a short time to help achieve funding???

Hi daniel,
Welcome to minis and good luck on your weightloss journey, I had a Bypass just 14 weeks ago today, and have lost 4st 1lbs and I am feeling fantastic!! won't be long and we'll see you on the losing side!!
Looking forward to hearing all about it!!

Hi and welcome Daniel this is a great place and you can ask what ever you like at least one person will be able to help

Back